Spying...

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

ARBCO
Recruit
Recruit

Spying...

Post by ARBCO » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:09 pm

Hypothetical question. Lets say I have spys in proince A. I want to capture province B this turn and move my spys there, but I suspect that another player also intends to capture province B. Here are the orders relevant to this situation. I go first in the OOP, and I’ve made orders to attack province B, move all my spys to province B, but also to spy province B from province A.

I’m concerned that even if I capture province B, there is a good chance that the other player will take it from me. If this happens, my spys will remain in province A, so I’ve made an order to spy the province as a contingency. What happens if I was wrong and I capture province B? My spys will have moved to province B in the move phase and there will be no spys left in province A. Does the order just get ignored, or does it count as a failed spy attempt and I suffer a penalty to my EFF? What if I had left one spy in province A and he ends up trying to spy on myself? Is that a failed attempt with an EFF penalty too?

So much to consider. This game is too complex!
:lol:
ARBCO

"Ah...excuse me. I have a skull for the Skull Throne. Where would you like me to put it?"

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:52 pm

ARBCO

Using your example.

1. If you take province B and move all of your spys to province B the order you have given to spy B from A will fail but cost you no EFF (you must use a least one spy per spy order).

2. If you do the above but leave 1 or more spies in A the order will fail but cost you no EFF (you cannot spy on yourself or neutrals).

3. If you lose province B to someone else later in the OOP, your spies will not move and you have a chance of getting the spy info on what the other player has in the province.

Hope this helps.

ARBCO
Recruit
Recruit

Post by ARBCO » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:38 pm

Thank you. That does answer my questions.

Can I redo my orders?

Just kidding!!! :P
ARBCO

"Ah...excuse me. I have a skull for the Skull Throne. Where would you like me to put it?"

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:42 pm

Remember that most spy operations can also be done long range. - They're less likely to succeed, but you can be more certain that they will be carried out if you do them from the province the spies started in.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Nemesis
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Nemesis » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:32 pm

ARBCO wrote:Can I redo my orders?

Just kidding!!! :P
Actually, you can redo them until the turn runs.

ARBCO
Recruit
Recruit

Post by ARBCO » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Do you just post new orders and they replace the old ones?

And when quoting someone....how do you get it to say "Nemeis wrote:"
ARBCO

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:46 pm

Aussie Gaz wrote:ARBCO

Using your example.

1. If you take province B and move all of your spys to province B the order you have given to spy B from A will fail but cost you no EFF (you must use a least one spy per spy order).

2. If you do the above but leave 1 or more spies in A the order will fail but cost you no EFF (you cannot spy on yourself or neutrals).

3. If you lose province B to someone else later in the OOP, your spies will not move and you have a chance of getting the spy info on what the other player has in the province.

Hope this helps.
And, Arbco, there's one further head-scratcher on this later in the game, from Turn 3, once players are firing missiles: you might THINK you've got 5 spies there in A, and move 2 forward to B, and order 2 spyings from B on C, 1 spying from A on B, and 2 spyings from A on D nearby. BUT: if your A got bombed, and you lost spies down to 2 left alive, you'll have moved ALL 2 spies from A to B, no spyings from A will count (just void, no penalty). Complex, but logical. And fun.

Oh and one other key thing to remember about spies later in the game: they get produced in the production phase, and the newly-produced spies can be used in the SAME turn, later, in the spying phase. This is different from missiles and armies, where production happens AFTER you bomb and attack. With spies, you can USE the ones you produce that turn - and THOSE ones won't have been bombed to oblivion - so long as you still have that prov .... hehe.

H
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:33 am

ARBCO wrote:
Do you just post new orders and they replace the old ones?

And when quoting someone....how do you get it to say "Nemeis wrote:"
You go to the post you want to quote and press the little button that says "quote" in the top right corner of the post and the forumwizard will do it for you.
First one here, last one to leave.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:41 am

ARBCO wrote:Do you just post new orders and they replace the old ones?
Yes! :)
ARBCO wrote:And when quoting someone....how do you get it to say "Nemeis wrote:"
Try the 'quote' button in the top left of each post to insert a 'signed' quote automatically. You'll see how it's different from a regular quote by comparing the tags around the quote.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:31 am

ARBCO wrote: Do you just post new orders and they replace the old ones?
Also worth knowing: when you go to re-enter orders, the old ones are loaded into the form. So if you only want to change one order, you don't need to remember what all the other ones were...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability