Random tool I found.

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

korexus

Random tool I found.

Post by korexus » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:45 pm

While browsing the contents of the WoK server, I came across a tool which must have been there for some time, but that I've never noticed before.

http://www.kaomaris.com/mkwok4.zip

It lets you track the information you know about a WoK game (on the original map) as well as generating orders for the old style AOF.

Obviously the order bit is outdated, but I thought a few of you might like to check it out. We could either use it as is, improve the file or canabalise ideas into the Lobby.

Feedback appreciated.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:47 am

I remember that one.

I also remember that back when I was a teenager with a much worse knowledge of English I never managed to get it to do what I thought it's supposed to do. :P Now I see it's a really nice tool.

Now, who was Martijn van der Kooij? Was it Tristao?

The zip contains one TR file (nick12-02.rep) if you load it you can see some familiar names :) Same goes for the help file. :)

I think it would be possible to make this program work with other maps as the map data is stored in files that are editable with Notepad, but I don't know how to update the rules the program uses. Ie. trading 250 TECH doesn't give you 60 EFF but multiplies your current EFF by 1.6 :)

Anyway, rather than incorporating ideas from this tool into the WoK Lobby, what I'd like to have is a downloadble program which could submit orders without me having to open and skip between 3 different tabs in my webbrowser and Notepad. Too bad I can't program it myself. :(
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:05 pm

I have actually been thinking of making something like this.

What I would like is some sort of game manager where I could gather all my orders, turn reports, naps and plans for a game. It would then be quite easy to add inputting of orders and synchronization with the WOK Lobby. :)

All I have done so far is some prototyping, but I will try to make a real program if you guys are interested.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:44 am

Mullog wrote:All I have done so far is some prototyping, but I will try to make a real program if you guys are interested.
That would be great!

It would be an invaluable tool if you could make the program warn players if their orders breach the NAPs they have. Revolutionary! :)

I know that stuff is done through the address bar in PHP (the programming language the game engine uses), but is it possible to log in to the site to be able to view my own restricted TRs using an external program? Hmmm, I guess such a program would have to have many features of a web browser itself, right?
trewqh

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:34 am

Mullog wrote:What I would like is some sort of game manager where I could gather all my orders, turn reports, naps and plans for a game. It would then be quite easy to add inputting of orders and synchronization with the WOK Lobby. :
)
I've been trying that with bits of paper which invariably get lost It would be brilliant if Mullog's idea could get developed...

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:02 pm

Before the Lobby was introduced I kept all of my orders and TRs in text files. Now I only keep the notes and the modified status report (end of the TR) when planning a turn.

On the Vulkings private forum we also came up that it's a good idea to write down your NAPs in single post for easy reference. Your own and your clanmate's.
trewqh

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:09 pm

I have been trying to organize my orders and naps and plans and all that, but I always end up with a mess... So for me such a program would be very useful.

It should be possible to download the turn reports and any other public information about the game so that the program could validate your orders and help you when planning as well.

I will try to make something and then I will update you folks... Maybe I can give something back to the wok community again :D
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:43 pm

Looking forward to it! :)
trewqh