Spies and the use of.

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:18 am

Erm, because if you do it that way and people like it, then other GMs who were in that game will change the settings in their games. :roll: If the players don't like it then we shouldn't change the numbers...

The WSC was around for a very long time and the spies were left as they are all that time. Why should reinstating it change anything?
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:24 am

Sal, it's about trying it out in an X-game before changing the defaults.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:37 am

Oh my lord ...

:oops: I thought I was the one reknown for getting flustered. Well then, where are we at? The games in which we trial the spy EFF thing could also be used to try other spy option variations also - this way everyting get tried simultaneously without anyone having to wait for a cluster of games to end.

Speaking of which WILL SOMEONE FILL HOMELANDS THEN WE CAN GET ON WITH IT!
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:56 am

It's not about the spies or whatever change. It's the i'm the boss and you can just shut up attitude.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:58 am

The attitude is not about how one speaks, but how you perceive it.
trewqh

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:36 am

Right, so that should be considered when saying/typing something. Not only how you mean it, but how it will be perceived.

But a sentence like 'I'm not going to chance something', is not a sort of comment you would expect in a community where decisions are made by the community at large.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:40 am

You can never be sure how your words are going to be perceived, no matter how hard you try and how long you work on your wording.

The way I see it, you're the one who wants to impose a change while we want to give the players a chance to try it out first. Nobody said, it won't be changed if people like it, but so far you're the only one who likes it.
trewqh

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:14 pm

It is that very 'tone' of typing that has caused probably every key arguement ever in the history of Egaming. When something is typed it may be typed with a smile or with evil or malicious intent but the words still look the same.

Saladin mentioned the WSC presumably WOK Supreme Council. I am synical I am afraid. Trying to convince the community newbees and vets alike is one thing but who would sit on the WSC - clan heads? - veterans with X years experience of the game, each with their own prefered playing style/tactics. So we go from informed heated debate to having to convince a council member to support an idea and then trust that they not only understood your idea properly but also that they will fight for it with the same conviction as the proposer.

I think that the current method, although somewhat frustrating and long winded is ultimately a fairer system. I am sure that if people came up with an idea that was viable and would change the game for the better that korexus would do all he could to implement it. If he takes some convincing then to be honest we should all be glad. If he introduced every change without putting up a fight then exactly where WOK would finish up really is anyones guess.

To close: If I have upset anyone it was not my intention. If I have bored you to death I apologise and if kor wants to send me some kind of financial reward for my kind words the address is available on request :P
Now WHY did it do THAT!

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:23 pm

Vortan wrote:Saladin mentioned the WSC presumably WOK Supreme Council. I am synical I am afraid. Trying to convince the community newbees and vets alike is one thing but who would sit on the WSC - clan heads? - veterans with X years experience of the game, each with their own prefered playing style/tactics.
The WSC had clear rules about those things. Rules which worked reasonably well for some years so there wouldn't be a problem with choosing members etc. Each clan had a member and one merc was elected, above that, regardless of clan membership, 2-3 'long-standing members' were also elected. Oh and GM Al, Wok's creator had a seat reserved, if I remember well.

Reviving WSC was not a bad idea in itself, korexus just pointed out that there's no reason to think that reviving it would help changing how spies work.
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:28 pm

Sal, the "I" in "I'm not going to change something" is because I am the one with the power to do it. Now as all Spidey fans know, with great power comes great responsibility. :D It would be irresponsible of me to make changes every time someone suggested something, especially now we have the facility to test things out to find what the best options are.

The reason the defaults are as they are is because most games will run like that. Now if, over time, the standard settings change to improve the game (as I hope they will, that was the point of making them edittable after all!) I can change the defaults in the game engine. That to me seems to be the fair way of doing things.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:39 pm

:evilmule:

I was looking for some light hearted emoticon suggesting kiss and make up but there isn't one. Found the 'Evil mule' though. Hmmm ... Evil mule? ... It looks more like an albino bunny.

And my point - yes I do have one - Lets not get too 'angry' with each other. Lets fill the boards with love and peace and flowers and peace and love and flowers and peace ... man ... yeah ... like groovy!.
Now WHY did it do THAT!