New scoring method

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:06 pm

Okay - For me I am glad to defer to Saladins system if that will meet with approval from all others. PLEASE say it does :)

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:08 pm

Saladin wrote:Chris you might want to look at this. I spotted a typo in my post. Edited it and instead of replacing the original post it was added as a new post.
That would be because you pressed "quote", not "edit"...
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm not happy with the surrender option. It's just M-3 by another name, I'd far prefer a method which decides whether a player has been active. (eg if they have entered orders for more than 50% of turns they were alive.)

After that, you need to decide how to rank people. - When to QUITs count as going out? What happens to people who die on the same turn?

korexus.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:40 pm

korexus wrote:I'm not happy with the surrender option. It's just M-3 by another name, I'd far prefer a method which decides whether a player has been active. (eg if they have entered orders for more than 50% of turns they were alive.)

After that, you need to decide how to rank people. - When to QUITs count as going out? What happens to people who die on the same turn?

korexus.
Well, regards surrendering, it immediately tells all players that the particular player feels their position so weak that they cannot continue and removes them from the game. By all means count it as a quit for the 5 quit rule but if that surrender means they end 5th they still qualify for points. It simply saves the rest of us wondering for 3 turns whether a person has given up or has just missed their turn.

When do quits go out - if they have gone m3 then I say they quit on the turn they went m1. Fair don't you think?

And if people go out on the same turn it would be best if the actual order of events could be used but failing that base it on OoP. The actual order of events should be useable though as stuff is reported in the commentary. Anyone surrendering would have to do so at the time of submitting orders (if given a button) and thus 'Quit' at the end of the turn rather than the start of the next one.

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:55 pm

I agree with everyones most recent ideas. They sound way better than the current ones.

I think vortans quit/surrender idea is a good idea it will add another diamension to the game which means another twist. Good thinking. :) :) :idea: :idea:

Dragonette

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:08 pm

The thing is though, that people who would surrender would be very close to defeat anyway, which would be obvious from their provinces and score. The wondering happens when someone may be going M-3 while they still have a chance. People in this situation go M-3 because they can't access the internet or because they've left WoK. They wouldn't press the surrender button anyway...

A simpler method would be thus:

Players count as going out on the turn they went M-1.

This way a player who never sends in orders goes in automatic last place, while someone who plays well but then loses everything will still rank above people who already went out.

korexus.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Logical ... and for me acceptable.

So to recap (and please let this be an end to it ... )

Code:

Split win 100
3rd 30
4th 20
5th 10
6th 5
7th 3
8th 2
9th 1
10th 0

If there is a solo win then:

Code:

Solo win 250
2nd 50
3rd 30
4th 20
5th 10
6th 5
7th 3
8th 2
9th 1
10th 0

No surrender option.
M3 Quit = Zero Points
Points halved in event of 5 quits.

:hypernervous: Please ... Please ... cant take much more ... are we there now :?:

Tigress
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Tigress » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:22 pm

isn't the 250 a bit too high?

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:25 pm

NO :!:

Tigress
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Tigress » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:09 pm

*checks if her nose is still there*

Jeez...

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:25 pm

250 points is for a solo win.l Hardly any games end in a solo win. So rewarding a solo win more so people might try for a solo win more might be good.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:28 pm

And I didn't mean to bite your nose off ... far too juicy for my liking would you like it back :lol:

So people how long do we leave it before declaring a satisfactory resolution? ... or am I jumping the gun?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:34 pm

korexus wrote:That would be because you pressed "quote", not "edit"...
Sigh...well i...sigh...it's the bloody heat. Stupid global warming. I blame the English.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:43 pm

Two points and I'll agree.

Firstly to confirm: QUIT is not necessarily no points. If you QUIT after people have been RIPed they rank lower than you.

Secondly, I suggest the database track not points, but position. Then a formula uses these positions to calculate the score. This way we can change the value of each position retrospectively if we need to later on.

korexus.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:55 pm

Sounds good to me.

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:58 pm

I like it. I just have a question. If you are going to award the points based on the ending position, is it not possible to make anyone that goes M-3/QUIT automatically ranked at the 10th spot, thus giving them zero points? Otherwise, if I hang in there until turn 11-12, and then decide to go M-3, I could conceivably earn more points than someone that was ripped on turn 6-7.

If you can make it so a QUIT player gets no points, I am ready to vote and kick this baby off! (never mind the hours and hours that Korexus and gang will have to work and slave to make it happen!) That's what he gets for beating me so badly in Vertical!
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:58 pm

OK!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!

WOOOHOOO!!!!!!

Quick someone get it in writing before he changes his mind!

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Calidus wrote:I like it. I just have a question. If you are going to award the points based on the ending position, is it not possible to make anyone that goes M-3/QUIT automatically ranked at the 10th spot, thus giving them zero points? Otherwise, if I hang in there until turn 11-12, and then decide to go M-3, I could conceivably earn more points than someone that was ripped on turn 6-7.

If you can make it so a QUIT player gets no points, I am ready to vote and kick this baby off! (never mind the hours and hours that Korexus and gang will have to work and slave to make it happen!) That's what he gets for beating me so badly in Vertical!
We can, but this would be very harsh on players who are left with an empty province nd no one wanting to finish them off. At this point I would probably go M-3 as there's no point sending in orders, but that shouldn't put me in last place if I've played well until that point...

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Just a quick 'for lazies' recap on position re quitters.

They count as QUIT on the turn they went M1 prior to their M3 so this will be (obviously) two turns sooner than the M3 which should make sufficient difference. PLEASE CAL ... Say okay ... please (says Vortan who is now losing the will to live ...)

Yondallus
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yondallus » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:28 pm

The system points system is good, as far as I see it.
However, there is just one flaw in the system I'd like to resolve.
There are no points based on the effort you put in the game. For example, take the Austria game that's currently running. Raw has killed 3 players here. But got Ripped by multiple players, thus ending only 4th. However, Brykovian and Smashface did not kill any players and will automatically get more points than he does. I just don't think that's fair.

Maybe there should be a chance to reward this by having a vote after each game where the 10 players send in their top 3 of who they think did a good job in playing the game(and were possibly unlucky). The top 3 of the resulting vote getting extra points.