How do you do your orders?

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

trewqh

How do you do your orders?

Post by trewqh » Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 pm

Here's a capture of my screen when I'm doing orders. I had just entered my attack orders, next step was to calculate the POP I'd get and enter it into notepad so that I can see how many I could use/would be left with. I like being able to see everything at once that's why I have to clutter all those little windows on one screen.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed May 23, 2007 11:02 pm

Yeah, that's a lot like i do my orders. Though instead of notepad i use pen and paper. :)

I'm a sucker for micro management, so i always like to know how many pop and wok i'll be getting and what would be the best way of getting them to safety.

It's always a form of personal pride when i manage my orders on the first turn to completely clean out 3 provinces not leaving anything undefended.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Thu May 24, 2007 1:45 am

Old School PDA......Pen and Paper!!! I just blunder about, making as many armies as I can. Raze those provinces to the ground! ARRRGGHHH!! <<<---bad pirate imitation!!
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Thu May 24, 2007 5:51 am

To date I tend to submit my orders having followed a similar tactic to Trewgh and Sal. To start with though I wastes much paper on actually printing it but when turns started to go pear shaped I decided to do it on screen instead.

Now all I have to do is submit orders that the troops get to carry out. :lol:

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu May 24, 2007 6:25 am

I have tabs on my browser. It's really not too much effort to click on the tab you want to look at.

As for micromanaging POP, I rarely do that these days. It seems unusual to take more POP than you can convert, so I just max out the transform orders then move everything where I want it on the assumption that I got everything I asked for...

It means I've got Standard WoK orders down to about 3 minutes per slot. I have a suspicion that some of our new players may be using the same amount of time, but I'm planning my move on the half hour walk to and from work so I don't suffer too much from rushing things... Well apart from in my most recent duel turn. :cry:

korexus [coming across very pompous this morning! :wink: ]
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Thu May 24, 2007 7:05 pm

I use 3 tabs in Firefox. Map, results and orders. Don't bother with the pop file its rare that there aren't enough orders/too much pop not just to put 99 in there. Pen and paper for wok 5 though. totally different animal. And I still suck at it.
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu May 24, 2007 7:19 pm

Wok 5 used to be extremely time consuming for me, being an anal retentive micro management nerd.

I had several spreadsheets that would help me calculate the outcome of any possible changes in orders. I think it took at least an hour and most of the time 2 hours to get my orders done.

That's the main reason why i stopped playing wok 5 (advanced wok)...too time consuming for me.

However some people are less anal retentive and do orders in only a fraction of time that it took me. :)
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 pm

:lol: Sal I think you do yourself an injustice.

I am wondering personally what is the point in submitting orders when you always go near last and EVERYONE BEATS YOU TO A PULP.

For those who care TIGRESS - he says putting plasters on his torn bandages - just annihilated me in truly classic style. SOB SOB.

Once again I have a turn report filled with This is not your province!

Tigress
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Tigress » Thu May 24, 2007 7:31 pm

:beatnik:

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu May 24, 2007 9:19 pm

Saladin wrote:Wok 5 used to be extremely time consuming for me, being an anal retentive micro management nerd.

I had several spreadsheets that would help me calculate the outcome of any possible changes in orders. I think it took at least an hour and most of the time 2 hours to get my orders done.

That's the main reason why i stopped playing wok 5 (advanced wok)...too time consuming for me.

However some people are less anal retentive and do orders in only a fraction of time that it took me. :)

Even with Advanced WoK orders I've cut down a lot. I've found that no matter how sloppily you plan ahead in either game, your error from miscalculation is much less that the error from random chance. For example, you would never plan on the basis that you don't take three provinces on turn one (assuming you have peace) yet this will happen roughly one in 20 times. - Causing far more of a problem than not having quite enough POP. Similarly in Advanced WoK, you need to plan 3 turns ahead if you are going to feed your people and be able to do the right things with your troops. Random fluctuations in the weather can mess up a three turn plan, before you even factor in the other 9 players who are trying to mess you around...

This approach means I'll probably always lose to a Saladin or an Egbert or maybe even (God forbid!) a trewqh in a one on one situation. - Their micromanagement will beat me every time. However I have a bit more time for diplomacy, so hopefully I won't end up in a one on one very often... :)

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Thu May 24, 2007 10:10 pm

Here's a hint for everyone that plays me. I ALWAYS assume that I don't get that 3rd prov. Never disappointed that way :D
Question everything.

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Fri May 25, 2007 2:15 pm

I'm not nearly that organized with orders, I just have 3 windows up with map, orders, and turn report, and click back and forth. I nearly always use up all 7 move orders to keep things nice and tidy in my kingdom, so my transformations are usually pretty easy.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Fri May 25, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm nigh on the the same as TBert with left to right my Orders, Map and Submit pages.

More planning and thought is required when fewer NAP's are in place...

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri May 25, 2007 5:28 pm

korexus wrote:This approach means I'll probably always lose to [...] (God forbid!) a trewqh in a one on one situation.
It's going to be years before I learn how to survive for more than 5 turns in an Advanced WoK game, so don't worry! :wink:

As for using up your movement orders, as Tbert mentioned, I also do that but it very often takes me some time to figure out which transformations/movements scenario will be the most effective one. I mean, 'if I make the transformation here then I'll have to move the stuff through here and I'll be left with this here and 3 more orders to use.... Hmmm. But I need 4 orders to do this other thing, so maybe I'll...' :roll: