To the most recent noobs

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

To the most recent noobs

Post by Lardmaster » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:03 pm

Now you guys know who you are so I won't mention names. Out of the last five newbs 2 have not bothered to send orders in after joining a game, 1 has already won VPs one has entered his first orders and one is waiting for a game to start.

So the question is. Why do we think the 2 who never bothered entering orders in didn't bother and are the other three going to stick around? I have emailed all five to one extent or another. Is it my fault the other two buggered off?

And while I am here, the age old question for new people. How can we get more players given that this is an awesome free to play game?

Discuss.
Question everything.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:21 pm

LM - as one of your newbees I can honestly say it has nothing to do with your email comms if they were in the same vein as those sent to me. It is possibly the waiting for start that put them off although you then have to wonder if they are better lost earlier rather than later if they are that impatient.

As for how do you get more publicity/players there are a number of pbm/pbem forums on the net including a google groups one called rec.games.pbm where the game could be openly plugged.

Also any players who are at school/college/university can also publicise the game with notice board fliers. My own daughter 'Dragonette' who is waiting for her first game has to my knowledge already told some of her high school friends male and female about the game. This can only be good.

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Re: To the most recent noobs

Post by Calidus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:07 am

Lardmaster wrote: I have emailed all five to one extent or another. Is it my fault the other two buggered off?
Absolutley! Although, it was probably more for your performance in our duel game than it was for your email! :twisted: HEHEHE!!

Vortan, better be careful, you might just get "volunteered" to be the new marketing director!!

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:24 pm

It occurs to me that the problem for newbees is BOREDOM! They sign up full of eager anticipation ready to play and ...... NOTHING HAPPENS!

The old hands are all so busy playing Duels/Advanced games that bringing new players in quickly is forgotten. The initial eagerness fades and they go elsewhere NEVER to return.

All the old timers need to do is one of two things either:

a. Start games short on players within a set time period or
b. JOIN THE NEW GAME and let them start playing.

Failure to take these suggestions seriously WILL result in all your efforts being for an ever decreasing elite group who will become more isolated from the wealth of variety that the gaming community has to offer both young and old.

Please people - we newbees are worth having!

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:37 am

Is there a policy that keeps the new guys/gals from getting into a duel game? Granted, there are some minor tweaks to the rules, but for the most part, they could get the feel for the game?

Vortan,
We understand your frustration. In the WOk heyday, things were always hopping. It will just take a little bit of time, but we will achieve that flavor again. The old guys have begun to return, and WOK will crawl out from the ashes. (Much like a cockroach!) :lol:

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:47 am

Anyone can play a duel, but newbies are likely to find it tricky. Duel light is easier once you're started, but the rules are even more complicated imho.

We are in a bit of a catch-22 here, I remember back in the day I had a game fill in 5 hours, but we need more people to fill games and we need more full games to get people. That's why I signed up for Lardy's game even though the map isn't my favourite. Come on, people. With 3 newbies, me and trewqh the field isn't exactly threatening! :P

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 am

:shock: What do you mean Korexus? Not exactly threatening!?!

You are as bad as General Cornwallis from the war of independance. He underestimated the power of militia when comparing them to regulars. Do NOT underestimate the powers that are arising.

The days of the clans are numbered. The day of the Mercenary are here!

Long live the NEWBEES! :lol:

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:57 am

Does anyone remember the newby vs vets game? We should do that again...

korexus.

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Vortan wrote: You are as bad as General Cornwallis from the war of independance. He underestimated the power of militia when comparing them to regulars. Do NOT underestimate the powers that are arising.

The days of the clans are numbered. The day of the Mercenary are here!

Long live the NEWBEES! :lol:
Seems he knows you well, Kor!! LOL!

And the Clans days are only numbered until I resurrect the Circle.

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:57 pm

Calidus wrote:
And the Clans days are only numbered until I resurrect the Circle.
I thought the use of spells (ie RESURRECTION) were only allowed in WOK 5. Methinks you are getting confused Calidus.

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:30 pm

calidus is probably just losing his memory, ignore his remblings about his circle of none. ;-) :lol:
God of WOK

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:06 pm

korexus wrote:Does anyone remember the newby vs vets game? We should do that again...
Yes, that one was fun. I'm not sure what's going on with Kikkertje, but including him we have exactly 5 newbies.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:09 pm

I feel a plan coming on. Should we let Lardmaster's game get started first though? Give the n00bs a chance... (And give us time to track down 5 vet players an a GM!)

korexus.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:12 pm

And we need to make sure that 5 newbies can participate.

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:35 pm

If I am not mistaken, didn't the Newbees wipe the floor with the old timers last time?

And Smashy, You're just jealous I never let you in CoN. Seeing as I only had WINNERS in my clan! :twisted:

....errr....with the exception of Ecrivian.....but he doesn't count because I was trying to teach him something......whew what a project!!!

Dragonette
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragonette » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:12 am

Hey

You can put a new game on soon for oldies vs newbies because fun in the sun is full.

Can lardmaster get the show on the road as its going to be bruttal with so many newbie tactics for you to lose against :D :D :D

-----------------------------------
I'll beat the power
one day [hargh]

Dragonette