Making reports "Open to the public"

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

korexus

Making reports "Open to the public"

Post by korexus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:19 pm

Having looked at Sal's post about the center island game, I again wondered about making players' Turn Reports visible in old games.

This wouldn't be hard to do, the GM already has the option to look at a TR for any player on any turn, I would just have to extend this check to allow anyone to look if the game were over.

The down side could be that players' tactics would stop being secret.

The upside would be that new players could learn faster and vets could enjoy the game more.

It could also have a knock on with diplomacy. - No more lying about how weak you are to encourage people to attack else where and no chance of sneaky spies while NAPed (not necessarily a bad thing...)

What do people think?
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:54 pm

Being able to analyse other players' tactics and learn from it seems a very good idea.

I'm all for it! :2thumbs:

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:58 pm

Not sure myself. Perhaps on games over a certain age old then it would be okay.
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:25 pm

Personally i would like to have all games open for public view once they finish. However i can understand that there are players who would prefer to keep their a secret. So would it be technically possible to make every game open for public view, though maybe with the exception of players who prefer not to have their turn reports public?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:11 pm

Games are currently classified as "old" one week after the final turn runs. I can easily change this amount - it's just a number. The easiest way would be to have games which are old have reports available, games which are not wouldn't.

Allowing players to opt out would be a lot harder, not just for coding, but also for using. I could add an option in players' profiles to change whether reports are available. It would be a pain if they had to do it for each game though. I could give players a 'release reports' button, but I feel they'd forget to use it. Also, it would be annoying for viewers to only see part of the story if some people share the info and others keep it secret.

Hmm, maybe this should be the topic for the new poll. I think we'd need at least a 2/3 majority to change this though, it can potentially drive away a lot of players while the benefits are less certain...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability