Rules and Conventions in playing WOK

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Donut = A-HOLE

Other than that, good debate. However, I only skimmed it as I have ADD and can't focus on one subject that long.

I like the way things are....and like Donut mentioned, it's too bad the newbs get knocked out early sometimes, but they'll eventually learn how to get better.
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm

Saladin wrote:I guess he's just trying to fit in with the WoW crowd. :)
Hehe! If you think that "trying to fit in" drives me, you've got an awful long wait ahead of you! No, I actually listen to an argument or point, and I am, unlike most, perfectly prepared to change my mind and concede; but, over decades, I'm more used to people following my lead than me trying to fit in! Hey, yours was a dig, I had to reply ! ... if I wanted to. :wink:

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Note that my reply said absolutely nothing against YOU, Sal, no digs at you at all. And yes I can take a joke, no prob. I make them against myself (eg Hannibabble). I can also spot when it isn't one, when it's someone trying to be unpleasant ...

Anyway, as if to illustrate my point about me listening to argument, I've just read the above replies, I'm persuaded by the point that you can't give min 24 hours notice if you only look at your turn with an hour to go, so I'm changing my view:

We still need to TELL newbies what our understanding is (ie that naps are not backstab-lies in WOK), but we can't realistically push for a norm/convention of 24 hours notice before turn-deadline.

So, instead, we tell new players something like:

"You can email a nap-cancellation any time up to when the next turn runs (you may only have figured out your options, under time-pressure, with less than an hour to go). But bear in mind that the other player might take that as a ruse on your part - cancelling the nap so late that he can't do anything about it that turn, deliberately too late for him to have time to change his plans and orders, which some regard as underhand and some regard as normal. So sometimes you will give him 20 mins notice, but he'll suspect you in future games; and sometimes you'll give him plenty of notice, and he's more likely to trust you not to be underhand in future games. Some people regard 24 hours notice as completely fair, but, if they gave you notice of nap-cancellation only 20 mins before the deadline when the turn runs, it might just be because they didn't get to the game till half-hour before the next deadline."

Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:35 pm

I think that's a good summary, Han.

I think it may be an important (though somewhat subtle) point to make that there's "in-game" communication & diplomacy (which defines NAPs, terms of which are measured in game turns, etc.) and there is "meta-game" communication & operation. The second one is where silly old concepts like "good sportsmanship" or "good form" come into play.

It's been my experience with WoK that most people try to make the meta-game experience as positive as possible (even if they can be troublesome in-game) ... and that we'd expect new players to continue that tradition. Don't do something that puts your opponents at a disadvantage merely through the mechanics of how the game engine operates. Save your best creative work for creating and exploiting in-game advantages.

Does that make sense?

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Brykovian wrote:I think that's a good summary, Han.

I think it may be an important (though somewhat subtle) point to make that there's "in-game" communication & diplomacy (which defines NAPs, terms of which are measured in game turns, etc.) and there is "meta-game" communication & operation. The second one is where silly old concepts like "good sportsmanship" or "good form" come into play.

It's been my experience with WoK that most people try to make the meta-game experience as positive as possible (even if they can be troublesome in-game) ... and that we'd expect new players to continue that tradition. Don't do something that puts your opponents at a disadvantage merely through the mechanics of how the game engine operates. Save your best creative work for creating and exploiting in-game advantages.

Does that make sense?

-Bryk
Off Topic (which I usually am)

Don't make lunch plans with Bryk, he just cancels on you and leave you to eat alone. :cry:

LOL

Any good day for you this week?

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:07 pm

How bizarre. I always assumed Matt was a Brit. Just sounds such an English name. And I used to really like him too........ :twisted:
Question everything.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:07 pm

Raw wrote:Don't make lunch plans with Bryk, he just cancels on you and leave you to eat alone. :cry:
Did he send you a notification at least? :wink:

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:12 pm

trewqh wrote:
Raw wrote:Don't make lunch plans with Bryk, he just cancels on you and leave you to eat alone. :cry:
Yeah, he was nice enough to call.

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:16 pm

Raw wrote:
trewqh wrote:
Yeah, he was nice enough to call.
No blood, no foul!