Standard WoK championship

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Standard WoK championship

Post by Lardmaster » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42 pm

Some questions. Firstly are vps still being recorded anywhere?

Secondly I think we should definitley have a standard wok championship this year, looking in the kaohalla and noticing that there hasn't been one since 2004 makes the game feel dead.

Thirdly and more of an observation than a question is that the player stats when clicking on their links are wrong. I clicked on the two new guys names and they have already both survived 2 turns when in fact only turn 0 has been sent out.

Fourth, is anyone interested in running/playing in a Advanced WoK (wok 5) game? Might be a way to drag back some ex players, I know I quite fancy a game.

Lastly, due to lack of players clans seem to have disappeared in essence. I do think we should regenerate the clans but get rid of the rule about 5 active players. 2-3 player cland would be good fun I think and certainly its good to play as a 2 man team. It's also way better for new players to have experienced players help them and the clan system would be best. I don't think however that it should be mandatory to join one, I think that put off a few potential new players.

Discuss :)

/ thread edited by trewqh to fit the current nomenclature/
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:47 pm

Well i can't do anything other than agree with all points you've put forward LM. Though i think i'll pass on Advanced WoK for now. first priority is to get back in the Standard WoK swing of things and then try wok:duel. :)

The idea of having a standard wok championship i fully support.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Kikkertje
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Kikkertje » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:53 pm

Are there any rules about who may join this Championship?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:15 pm

Well normally it would be the 9 players who've earned the most vps in standard wok in the last year plus the former champion.

So maybe Korexus can dig up a list of vps for the past year. And the vp list for 2005 can be found here: http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... ore#action

And Lord Fredo was our last reigning champion so maybe we can get him interested to join wok again.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

trewqh

Re: Standard WoK championship

Post by trewqh » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:48 pm

Lardmaster wrote:Some questions. Firstly are vps still being recorded anywhere?

Secondly I think we should definitley have a standard wok championship this year, looking in the kaohalla and noticing that there hasn't been one since 2004 makes the game feel dead.
I'm not sure we have what it takes yet. Saladin pointed to VPs for 2005, while normally we would have Champs for the year 2006. Only a few games were completed in 2006 and we don't have a yearly standing for that year. Don't want to discourage you now that running games is easier than ever, but I believe it's more trouble than satisfaction.

I am happy to see so much Standard games running simultaneously right now. That's a good motivation to keep a record of games this year and have Champs next year.
Lardmaster wrote:Fourth, is anyone interested in running/playing in a Advanced WoK (wok 5) game? Might be a way to drag back some ex players, I know I quite fancy a game.
I think finding a GM is the first thing to do. Wouldn't join one right now, but maybe some of my games will end before we find a GM.
Lardmaster wrote:Lastly, due to lack of players clans seem to have disappeared in essence. I do think we should regenerate the clans but get rid of the rule about 5 active players. 2-3 player cland would be good fun I think and certainly its good to play as a 2 man team. It's also way better for new players to have experienced players help them and the clan system would be best. I don't think however that it should be mandatory to join one, I think that put off a few potential new players.
I agree with you, but, actually, it does work that way in practice. Noone is supervising the clans checking whether they have enough members. New players are not required to join clans anymore either. Obligatory clan membership was intended to ensure new players would have mentors and be more likely to stay. As it turned out some players got discouraged by the time it took to contact a Clan Head and join a clan, which tended to drag for weeks when the community got smaller.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:36 pm

Does anyone have the manager still? If so I may entertain running it... but wait... that means I can't play :(
The scars remind us that the past is real.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:29 am

I have it and it's stored on the site's server as well.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:39 am

Well if need be and there are enough players (7+) i'm willing to GM a wok 5 game for you guys.