I'm a bit lost now

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:39 am

Ignored. At that moment, I was being told that most newbies would get to the "new" rules. So I tried. About 7 ways. I reported 3 of them.

I did say getting TO the rules, not getting at them (any more). So my pts were about navigation.

I've never seen that rewrite. It's probably great. I'll look when I'm in a more conciliatory mood. But I'm not that way yet .... you claim you posted me twice to read it before you publish it, before the post above? Geddadahya, you never did!
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:15 am

Thanks for posting my manual again. Hey I did a pretty good job, didn't I? :wink: If you notice, there are some blank spaces that need to be filled in, and the spying and other parts may need to be revised.

As for the "navigation" driving people away, I don't think you got what I meant. At some point, many people were having problems actually clicking on links and loading pages --- I am not talking about the games, just the kaomaris website itself. Korexus eventually fixed it, but I thought a bunch of people stopped coming to the site after that. I think it lasted for about 2-3 months. Several people did not have ANY problems, though, and those are the people that are still here.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:48 am

korexus wrote:Ok, so check out the link to Egbert's version. See if you prefer that. 8)

(The manual which Han is talking about is the interim one I wrote so current players could pick up WoK-On from WoK IV while we were waiting for Eg's new version. I didn't realise it was still there.)

On the navigation front, surely the first link a new visitor would click on would be "New visitors look here" from which the manual is directly linked. Not too hard to find. It is also linked in other places, I believe you were one of the people who wanted me to leave all these extra links in when I was trying to slim down the site...
Argh and double argh. :) Korexus meant that the OLD manual was easy enough to find if a new visitor clicks on the link for new visitors.

Sure, Eg, your rewrite is a good one. But you never know... When Han gets to it - he might get at it. :)

I see your point on the website's reliability, Eg. Let's just hope, if that was the problem, all of the people who stopped coming because of that will, eventually, come back.

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:52 am

I thought that I had uploaded the new version of the rules, in which case any of those routes would have taken you there. The problem was that I hadn't uploaded the file, so you still got the old ones. I did say this earlier, but you must have missed it.

trewqh has linked to the file twice. Once further up this thread and once when the manual was first written. To paraphrase someone or other, please read the posts, don't go into auto-deny mode! :P

On the navigation front, I remember what Eg is talking about now. One of Al's rotating banner ads would crash the site with bad javascript, so people would randomly find that pages wouldn't load. Eventually I figured it out and removed the ad. So now all the links work (hopefully).

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:24 pm

korexus wrote:I thought that I had uploaded the new version of the rules, in which case any of those routes would have taken you there. The problem was that I hadn't uploaded the file, so you still got the old ones. I did say this earlier, but you must have missed it.

Chris.
My apologies. I was wrong. And yes I missed the earlier post - hey! I might have been typing at the time! Those long posts don't just write themselves you know! :wink:

First I thought that the Rules/Manual on the site WAS the new rewrite. My fault. :oops:

And later I THOUGHT, assumed, you meant that the rewrite WAS there somewhere, I just had to find it. I thought you'd put it in one place, but nowhere I could find .... Wrong. My fault. :oops:

And, yes, I AM a fan of multiple routes, so that they get there whatever they try.

Er, sorry.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:21 pm

No worries. It has to be said that for a verbose guy, you don't flame particularly well! :clown:

I'm happy to modify site layout too, I'm just wary of having too many links down the side as that can make any particular one hard to find at the first look. (Although, we can probably reduce the prominence of 'WSC' and 'Clans' for a while.) Also, I was thinking that the WoK Online box in the lobby would be an obvious place to link the manual from - and as loads of links point to the Lobby one way or another it should put you in multpile route heaven!

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:15 am

I've made Egbert's Manual fit the Lobby, you can see it here
http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... &tab=rules

I've filled in the blanks and updated any mistakes I could spot, but feel free everyone to comment.

If the manual is generally acceptable, I'll update the links.

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:33 pm

Great! But why was the whole text of the Rules made a link to Tools at the same time?

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Because I got lazy and didn't close an html tag. :oops:

Should be right now.

Chris.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:14 pm

korexus wrote:No worries. It has to be said that for a verbose guy, you don't flame particularly well! :clown:

Chris.
Hey, I try to be reasonable ... well, at least AFTER the event ... if the other guy is.

About the only thing you and I could have a flamer about is whether to encourage flamers; I'm firmly against them. And I'll fight anyone who disagrees. You think it adds to the fun.

I'll fight you all the way on this .....er, so long as its not a flamer ......er ....er ....

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Nah, flamers add to the fun, but only when its something that no one actually cares about or some fairly minor point being blown completely out of proportion. That way, they people that don't like flamers can ignore it and the people that do can let out some pent up aggression. Best of all, no one ever really offends someone in the ideal flamer, because no one reads anyone elses posts anyway! :D

korexus.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:29 pm

Ok, since no one complained and I was bored, I updated all the links I could think of. If anyone finds a link which points to the old manual, please let me know. Either by message, email or the report broken link option.

Still post any modification options though. Now that the rules are in the Lobby, they should be easy to update.

Chris.

PS, should we have a downloadable manual too?

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:37 pm

I disagree strongly with you there, Kor. So strongly that I'm prepared to have a flamer with you about it. :lol: :pure evil:

You are in favour of flamers, and I am absolutely against them.

They may be fun for a few jaded players to watch, but give a poor impression of the site to newbies scanning current and recent forums. And they often make a veteran player give up the site.

I'm against 'em. Want a flamer about it? :wink:

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:48 pm

Nope, because as I stated above I only like flamers when no one really cares about the issue at hand (except presumably the participants, although not always even them).

As I know that this is an issue that many people feel quite strongly about I don't want to risk alienating them by forcing them to read my opinion for 5 pages. Instead I will take the mature view and leave the subject alone.

Chris.

PS. If you reply to me, I can ban your ass so watch it! :twisted:

And I can edit your posts to make you sound funny. :) - trewqh

masjwar
Recruit
Recruit

Post by masjwar » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:02 am

Hey.

Donut is here.
Kikker is here.
Now I'm here (sorry, that spoils it all, I know)

We need to get a game going!

And I'm still stumped on how to do that (but I probably should read the manual, eh?)

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:17 am

Welcome, masjwar.

Yep, the rules will be a good start, so take a look. They've just been updated, so please let us know about any typos or bits that don't make sense!

If you know Donut, he will be able to help you too. A little bit. Maybe. Just try not to do what he does too often... :twisted:

masjwar has applied to my game 8, so that gets us up to 5 players. I'm sure we can find a couple more floating around!

Chris.

PS. trewqh. I can take away your forum powers or even ban your username if you keep messing with me. Oh wait, you can do that to me too. Erm, truce? :hehehe:

masjwar
Recruit
Recruit

Post by masjwar » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 am

A few thoughts this fine morning.

If I come to the kaomaris page and log in at the top right, all is well.
If, however, I click on "log in" at the top left and then try to log in, it says it's invalid. Hmmm.

I don't get how to use the automated wok on game. I'd love to practice while I'm waiting around, but can't figure out how. Any brilliant (or even simplistic) suggestions and helpful tips welcomed.

What is the duel game, and how many players need to be in it to play?

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:42 am

I'll investigate the login thing, that's very strange...

Duel games are for 2 people, taking 3 spots each with the remaining 4 spots being played by robot players. For a full description, check the house rules of any duel game (link above the map on the game page).

The practice game is set up from the point of view of a GM. Which is why there are several extra features on the page.

From the Lobby, click on the practice game link, this will take you to the GM's page.
Scroll down until you see a form for adding players.
Select your name from the list, you can enter a clan if you like.
Either add yourself a few more times or add 'autoGM' to have robot players or, if you know someone else who wants to play, add them.
When you've entered enough players, click on run turn. You can then view turn reports and enter orders for turn 1 from the same screen.

Note that, for robot players to work, you'll have to run the game using the WoK Duel engine.

Hope that helps.

Chris.

masjwar
Recruit
Recruit

Post by masjwar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Question:

If I submit orders for a game I'm in but forget to click on the "I'm ready for the turn to run now", what happens?

I'm guessing it just waits till the deadline, and then my orders are run, but I want to make sure it won't cancel them out if I forget to click that I'm ready.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:04 pm

It won't cancel your orders. If, for any reason, you'd rather not see the turn run before the original deadline, you're free not to use that button.