A great riddle site I found

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

trewqh

A great riddle site I found

Post by trewqh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:00 am

I know some of you love riddles and I've found a very intersting site that might appeal to some of you.

Here's the link:
http://zestriddle.fanzine.pl/

It's a Polish site but don't worry, the riddles are in English.

And here's a Wikipedia link in case you want to know more first:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zest_(riddle)
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:07 pm

With any puzzle the key is getting into the head of the puzzler thus second guessing their thoughts... At the moment I'm way out of second guesses - what's the answer to No.1 :P

Thanks for the link

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:09 pm

Did you read the hints and requirements?

I think won't spoil the fun by saying that the first puzzle is straight-forward, but is in a way demonstrating the whole idea behind these puzzles and how unusual they are. The first one, already, requires you to edit the image.

I found the 2nd and the 3rd puzzle very simple, but I'm stuck on ('on'? proper prep.?) the 4th. Still the image you get in the 4th puzzle is worth being stuck on, it's really amazing. (And, no, it does not include naked people!)
trewqh

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:54 am

OK I have my answer but how do I input that to solve the puzzle, please consider I have no knowledge of anything related to pc's...

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:07 am

Your answer is a part of the URL (website address) where the next riddle is located.

The URL looks like this:
http://zestriddle.fanzine.pl/zest_riddle/****.htm

Where **** stands for your answer or any answer you'll get in the future.

I'm doing no. 8 and it gives me a headache. :)

Oh, if instead of a page with a riddle you get an error saying sth like 404 File Not Found it means your answer was wrong.
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:57 am

Well, I've got as far as number 5 so far, but I have no idea how. The first one didn't need any modification on my laptop screen, so it was easy, but from then on it's been more enlightened guesswork than riddle solving. - The 'answers' haven't been paricularly obvious choices to fit the clues and in some cases I'm not sure why they're the answer at all! Is this how I'm supposed to feel?!!

Still, it's a distraction from work, which is what we all need of course!

korexus.

PS. I believe I now have a proper internetconneciton,yay!
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:37 pm

The author of this site claims that the riddles are logical. But, technically, mental associations (or trying to figure out some else's mental associations) have nothing to do with logic. So don't expect anything obvious.

I'd say, kor, that you must have an intuitive way of thiking since you managed to get the answers without realizing the logic behind your own process of thinking.

Riddle no. 5 is probably the first one in which you DO have to figure out the 'system' and thus could be called more having to do with logic than the previous ones.

When I do the riddles I feel as if I'm doing detective work :) Because apart from 'enlightened guessing' and, as Hryll said, trying to think like the author of the riddle, you sometimes have to do some tedious searching (I think you know what I mean, by now, korexus :) ) Still, maybe tedious is not the proper word, since finding your answer is very rewarding. To me at least...

I wonder whether Egbert saw this thread... Eg?
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:05 pm

Ok, that was a bit more fun, but the one after it was random. Then 6(6) - whatever that numbering means - was mildly weird and I'm totally confused now. I may have to ask for a hint. - What is electricity?

Also, has anyone noticed a common theme that might help give clues to future answers? Everytime I think one is appearing the next answer shatters the pattern... :(

korexus.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:24 pm

I'm still doing no. 8 since I didn't commit much time to it lately and since there are 72 riddles in total (in the basic edition at least) I don't think I can say that any aptterns exist. Also I think there is more of a 'theme' in the riddles ('Alice in Wonderland', 'Wizard of Oz', quotes from gothic or more generally eerie literature, games, music) but not in the answers themselves.

6(6) took quite some time for me :) But not because I didn't know the answer but because I didn't know how to formulate it. :) This particular riddle is interesting because it can be solved by breaking a code (logically) but also by analysing the picture (linguistic associations). As for hints, I'd need to know how you found the answer that took you to the question. (Or maybe the above paragraph will be enough :) ) (I apologise to anyone reading this and not knowing what we are talking about :lol: )

I'm glad you find this site distracting-from-work enough! :D
t.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:25 pm

dangnabbit you, trewqh, I've lost an entire day now!!

I've got to level 20. Not bad for 14 hours work I guess. Some of them took an obscene amount of time to work out, but I think I'm starting to see how this guy works so others have been flowing quite smoothly. I'm stumped now though and that leads me to think of all the more constructive things I could have been doing with the time. Maybe I should shelve this one and only look at it on weekends...

Good find. :)

korexus.