yet another idea

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

trewqh

yet another idea

Post by trewqh » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:54 pm

How about adding a 'let the turn run as soon as all orders are in' option to the AOF for the players to tick?

It's not like I want to make the GM obsolete :), but when players know that they will not change their orders then such a mechanism would certainly speed things up. Maybe not in the beginning (since all 10 players would have to send in orders and agree to that) but when there are only 2-4 players left in a game. Duels would benefit as well. :roll:
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:26 am

I was thinking about this last night. (Great minds and all that.)

A box to tick on the AOF may not be fair as the turn would run pretty much as soon as the last player entered his orders wheras the others would have the chance to realise any mistakes and fix them.

But a button on the game page to say you are ready for the turn could work. Each player clicks it only when ready, if all of the active players click it, the turn turns.

Problems are that players who miss the turn won't click, and so would slow the pace down a notch and some players (for example, me) don't like turns running early as it messes up my shcedule of when my next orders are due in and so would almost never use the button. However, I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one...

Chris
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:20 am

You're right about the button, it will give a moment to reflect whether a player is actually ready after sending in a set of orders.

As for players missing turns and those such as yourself:
I am aware of the situations when a 'speed up' button won't make things faster, but there will always be that chance (the slowest scenario is going by the original deadline, so no time loss actually). And at the same time the benefits for games such as Duels and regular games with a smaller number of players are very big.

It's a problem whether this button is worth the time you'd need to code it. And I think YES IT IS :)
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:10 am

You're behind the times, check the Lobby.
IT IS DONE.

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:56 am

Yay! Great! :)

A confirmation once one clicks the button and/or a display of the status of this option would make it even more great!

In Duels, I suppose I have to click it for each player, or maybe you've thought of that already? :)

I have to add 'I love korexus' to my signature sometime :P
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:22 am

In duel (or any other game for which you play more than one slot) clicking once will assign all of your slots as ready.

However, Duel is currently not auto-run so the game won't actually run, even if both players ask for it. I'll sort out that and a status reminder next, but I should probably do some real work first...

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:29 am

kor, I noticed that after being RIPed in a regular game, the game engine will still register my ticking the earlier running option. Are you sure that it is enough only for the non-RIPped players to use this option for it to work? Just checking.
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:52 am

I'll check the coding, but the script should check the current OOP to see if everyone wants an early turn, ie it doesn't matter what you do if you are dead.

I guess I could remove the option from dead players' screens when viewing a game, but is it worth it?

Chris.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:59 pm

Not worth it, I believe you that it works.

Cheers!
trewqh

Warped Angel
Recruit
Recruit

ok

Post by Warped Angel » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:54 pm

love the thread title trewq. I got an idea how bout starting up that game
When injustice is law, resistance is duty