Last army standing

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Last army standing

Post by Hryllantre » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:49 am

What are my options now that someone has voted for Butcher to gain the VP...
'A vote has been called for Butcher to win this game as a solo victory!'

I tested the system to make sure that Butcher hadn't voted for himself (please excuse my learning curve) and got this message.
'A vote has been called for the game to be split between Hryllantre and Hryllantre'.

I voted for myself just to show that I would like this game to continue. To end the game now wouldn't allow me (selfish I know)(and all other first timers) to gain any experience of being under attack, reloading and returning fire (so to speak). After finally receiving my shipment of bully beef and a shovel I am ready to dig in (whats the shovel for)...

I don't want to give anything away but Im running out of accomodation for all my armies...

Is there a minimum turn before victory threshold?

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:38 am

Just get the others to vote NO.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi Highly-Whatsit,

No, don't worry about persuading others. I'm pretty sure that the vote for a proposed win is rejected if any single player votes no .... so you can veto it yourself without having to persuade others. It has to be unanimous; abstentions count as acceptance, but a single no vote will reject the proposal and the game continues ....). Just say no if you want. (In theory, you don't even have to reveal that it was you who voted no ... a secret reply to the GM is enough.

Best of luck ..... to both you AND Butcher, of course!

Cheers,
Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:00 pm

Oh, Hill-and-Tree, also put in a proposal for a Hyrreehhllnnnrrrttteeeyyy solo victory !! You never know ..... if the other guys fail to notice it, their abstentions count as acceptances! Hey, maybe that's what Butcher was trying when he saw your strong position and hit on an unanswered vote as his last chance! (Just kidding, Butcher).

Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:12 pm

Abstention by an active player counts as voting no. Sorry to disapoint.

Hryllantre, I'm unclear as to exactly what happened here; if a player (Butcher or otherwise) had called for him to solo the game, you should not have been able to propose another vote. You should only have got options to vote 'yes' or 'no'. Han is correct that a vote needs to be unaminous to pass and so there is no need for two votes to be active at the same time. Please could you post here or mail me with what you saw and the steps you took?

Also note, that in an automated game replying to the GM does diddly-squat. If you want your vote to count you have to use the form at the bottom of your turn report.

Hope that clears up some things.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:17 pm

Its not neccessary the win that I seek (honest :wink: ) but merely the experience of being attacked, thus putting myself in a better position for future rounds by being able to suss other players tactics whilst attempting to calculate the scoring structure of WoK thus preemptying the total number of available resources of all opposition...

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:26 pm

Hryllantre wrote:whilst attempting to calculate the scoring structure of WoK.
Many have tried, none have succeded. What you have to remember is that the WoK IV scoring system came from a very bizzarre, Austrian brain. High scres tend to mean more resources but missiles are over-rated and levelled armies hugely under-rated. If anyone wants to have a discussion about the scoring *should* be, I'm happy to join in and (if we reach any conclusion) change it, but please. not another email committee!

Chris.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander

Post by Hannibal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:38 pm

korexus wrote:Abstention by an active player counts as voting no. Sorry to disapoint.
Chris.
I stand corrected, sorry. But at least I was right that you don't need to drum up support, you can veto the proposal with your own vote only.

But, come to think of it, it's odd that abstentions count as no to the proposal? I was presumably confusing here with other sites .... Surely, though, that means that someone who went AWOL 2 turns ago, with no further interest in the game, unwittingly blocks a proposal that all the actually still-playing guys have agreed on to close the game?? And so he, the accidental, unwitting, objector (by abstention) forces the other guys to play on, when they've decided they'd rather call it a day and move on to another game? Crazy? Surely we should change it to what other sites do .... abstention from voting (usually because you've lost interest) should count as agreeing the end-proposal rather than blocking it? (Note that this in no way makes the game easier to end if even just one person votes no, no change there ...).

Cheers,
Han

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:33 pm

Some GMs did/do run games as you describe, others say first abstention counts as 'no' but any further count as 'yes', still others use yet more weird and wonderful methods.

The reasoning for setting it up was as a fail safe. If you can't reach the internet for some reason (happens to us all, far too often) you can't lose the game by accident. If players lose interest they will go M-3 fairly soon and then not hold up the game.

Chris.