Kaobase 2

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

korexus

Kaobase 2

Post by korexus » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:05 pm

GMs should now find they have the ability to edit kaobase 2 from within the WoK Lobby.

This means we should now be able to turn off K1, I've entered all the games from that database if GMs Taker and Gaz could enter the game information through the Lobby from now on that would be a great way of testing that I remembered everything!

Note, Automated WoK Games can also be edited through the Lobby, although we should rarely need to do so. This will allow for re-runs though, so I thought I'd allow the feature.

The time before the next turn can now be entered as hours and minutes (instead of just hours) if this is still too complicated and people are nice to me I might be able to work out some way of just entering the date and time that the next turn is due. I agree with Han that we need as few 'not defined's as possible in the kaobase...

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Re: Kaobase 2

Post by Undertaker » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:57 pm

korexus wrote: The time before the next turn can now be entered as hours and minutes (instead of just hours) if this is still too complicated and people are nice to me I might be able to work out some way of just entering the date and time that the next turn is due. I agree with Han that we need as few 'not defined's as possible in the kaobase...

Chris.
Make it so I can just select the due date and I'll use it. :twisted:

BTW, where's the Lobby?
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:44 pm

The number of open slots in an Open game does not seem to show. Also, shouldn't we have a third choice for type of game, other than Beginner and Advanced? How about Standard?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:03 pm

Egbert wrote:The number of open slots in an Open game does not seem to show.

I'm glad someone mentioned that. This is because non automated games don't have a list of players and so misreported this field. The options I can see are a) Remove the field (it's not hard for players to click on the link and find out how many free sltos there are after all.) and b) ask GMs to change the number of spaces when editing a manual game, much as they did with K1. Any preferences?
Also, shouldn't we have a third choice for type of game, other than Beginner and Advanced? How about Standard?
Good thought, I'll see what I can do.

Taker, if you click on the 'Standard WoK' link on the left you should be directed to the Lobby. Site design poitns to Sal, please! :twisted:

Chris.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:13 pm

Re: Egbert's point about beginner/standard/advanced. Currently we have two fields, the WoK Version which could be standard or advanced and the Difficulty which can be beginner or advanced. Two uses of advanced here may be confusing, I see two possible solutions.

1) Merge the fields so we have beginner games, standard games and advanced games. This is neater, but loses the possibility of games such as GM Dom's WoK V beginner game.

2) Keep the fields seperate and rename on of the advanceds as something else. Suggestions welcome!

Discuss!

(This may be a good time to point out that if WoK species/6/MW/anything else ever gets finished the standard/advanced labels might fall apart a bit...)

Chris.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:27 pm

I still have all the early work from WOK 6, and I really liked it. It's a shame the project died, but my programming knowledge is hardly enough to sustain it. :(
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Re: Kaobase 2

Post by korexus » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Undertaker wrote:
Make it so I can just select the due date and I'll use it. :twisted:
Done, don't say I never do anything for you.

Currently you have to enter the time as GMT, can you cope with that much?

Dameon: Wookie seems to be coming together now, maybe I should add WoK 6 to my list? :wink: Send me what you've got if nothing else, you never know...

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:32 pm

Great!!! Now all we need are some players :roll:

(Sorry to rain on you parade here :wink: )
First one here, last one to leave.

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:10 pm

You do your job and I'll do mine, you crazy Finnish guy...

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:33 am

:shock:

Now that is bad. Calling a Swedish former hockeyplayer finnish.

I am Swedish:

* Good looking women
* IKEA
* Good at hockey
* Tries to manage some brits in footie
* Secretly runs the entire world

Finland:

* Vodka
* Ugly women
* Freezing even in the summer
* Has nothing going for them at any level

You see the difference? :wink:
First one here, last one to leave.

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Moral of the story: Don't call me Welsh... :twisted:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:11 am

korexus wrote:Re: Egbert's point about beginner/standard/advanced. Currently we have two fields, the WoK Version which could be standard or advanced and the Difficulty which can be beginner or advanced. Two uses of advanced here may be confusing, I see two possible solutions.

1) Merge the fields so we have beginner games, standard games and advanced games. This is neater, but loses the possibility of games such as GM Dom's WoK V beginner game.

2) Keep the fields seperate and rename on of the advanceds as something else. Suggestions welcome!

Chris.
I think the easiest solution would be to just stick with standard and advanced and have the GM put [BEGINNER] in the name of any game that is specifically for beginners. Be it a standard or advanced wok game.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."