Ratings.

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

korexus

Ratings.

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:48 pm

What are people's views on the ratings? I've been putting off coding them into the WoK Online engine, but I'm running out of things to do!

As I remember, the idea of the rating system was that experienced players wouldn't get too far ahead of new ones just by virtue of being around longer. We can already see that this won't happen so I'm tempted to suggest we stop recording them. (Espeacially as they're hard to explain to computers!) The WoK Online engine records a variety of information, which can be displayed in tables such as http://www.kaomaris.com/phpNuke/modules ... ayer_id=60 this one and it will be easy enough to knock up a form allowing WoK 5 GMs to enter game information in the same way.

Feedback, anyone?

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:01 pm

That data you have in your example works for me. Especially if it is entered automatically by the engine.
First one here, last one to leave.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:35 pm

Ratings suck, that's my eternal opinion. As long as you allow the GM the option not to use them, though, I see no harm with including them in the engine.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:54 am

The harm is in making poor Chris write and test pages of code so that the ratings can be entered acurately. I'm willing to do this, but only if there's actually a point. If everyone in the community feels like you or Duke then I may as well not bother and do something more interesting!

Chris.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the ratings going away forever, but as I recall there was a strong pro-ratings faction in WOK. I say drop 'em, Chris, and if they're really important to others they can write the code. :twisted:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:22 pm

I dont get you on this subject Nick. Everyone wants to follow statistics, it could be sports or how many weeks a song has been on the billboard etc,etc.

Let me turn that question around for you, what is the harm in having ratings? If you dont care then dont look at them. Making it optional for the GM would ruin the system since people like you would push the "no" button.

Just let a few things slide Nick.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:26 pm

korexus wrote:The harm is in making poor Chris write and test pages of code so that the ratings can be entered acurately.

Not that I feel like I'm repeating myself... :wink:

If someone wants to gatekeep the ratings, I'm happy to include a link to their page. However this seems to be quite a job, judging by Donut's rating page and when Xarfei thinks it was last updated...

Chris.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:02 pm

I'm an absolute stats freak, so the more stats the happier i get. However i do believe that we have much more important things to work on than the current ratings system. Especially since the rating system is not even an official system in the sense that the ratings don't count for anything.

I've always been a fan of setting up a different scoring system, which would be much closer to the ratings system than the vp system, but that's a discussion we've all had a lot of times and which i feel is not of the highest priority right now.

So i'd say, lets get the standard wok version flawless first, then add as much features for advanced wok and after that if Chris still has too much time on his hands, than you should feel free to have a look at the ratings. So they're definitely not top priority.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:10 pm

The only reason I am against the current ratings system is because the luck bonus for player RIPs is thrown in, I've said it many a time. Besides, we have Kaohalla and HiScore to keep track of the important info, so why add on? For what it's worth though, Duke, if you read my first post I basically said "I hate them, but I don't see the harm in having them"....leading to Chris' comments. For me, I don't care, but if I go back to GMing I don't want to ever be forced to use a heavily luck-influenced rating system.

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:06 pm

*shakes his head*

Again with the luck issue. *sigh*

Nevermind then.

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:38 am

Who's number 1?