What is active?

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

korexus

What is active?

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:35 am

Hi all.

As part of the player stats, I thought it would be interesting to include a record of 'last active'. Apart from the interest some people may have in this statistic, it would also be useful for deciding when a player is officially MIA and thus which clans have enough members. Fairly pointless maybe, but I have to do something with my evenings and I'm supposed to be mature now, so I can only go and get drunk when it isn't a work night...

This leads me to wonder what we count as active. Clearly sending orders for a game must count, but there may not be a game running for every player. Does applying to join a game make you active? - I'm inclined to say yes. What about applying to a clan? This I feel is trickier. It would make may code simpler if this was an action which made you active but it's not really playing the game and clan heads might want to see when you were last "really active" before deciding if they want you. What about posting on the boards? - I don't particularly want to set it up like that as it means messing around with the forum code but there are certainly times when people post here daily despite not having been in a game for ages. Does this make them active? Finally, what about running a game? GMs don't have to do much to run a game, indeed they could disappear right after kicking it off and (if everything works) we might not even know, but they are making a contribution to WoK so are they active?

Homework is to post a list of all things which a member can do which should update the timestamp of when they were last active.

Cheers,

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:47 am

My opinion:
Sending in orders, posting on the boards, applying to join a game or clan, setting up a new game (as a GM), changing stuff while the game is running (i.e. changing the automatic commentary) should all update the "timestamp" of when a player was last active.
Additionally I would have a statistic that shows the last game that player has been in (name of the game (e.g. "GM Chris Group #07") plus the date the game started/ended/the player was Riped).

The second part might of course include too much irrelevant information...

Xarfei

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:46 pm

I think posting on the boards should count, if only because there isn't necessarily even a game to apply for if you are a WOK 5 player at all times. Lately, yes, we had Taker and Gaz open games, but if I am not mistaken there was a 2 month or so gap in there where there were no WOK 5 games opne at all. I think GMs running a game should count too, because even with the WOK-ON "hands-off" approach there are still often issues that arise in a game that a GM is needed to help address.

I'm all for this statistic, so long as we all keep in mind there are more ways of being active than the most obvious of simply sending orders in for a game.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:09 pm

The 'last active' part isn't that important, but it's nice to know and can be of value to a GM or clan head, so it's nice to have.

I would say, keep it basic. If a GM runs a game, a player puts in order, signs up for a clan or game. Forum activity doesn't really constitute an actively playing member i feel.

Anyway, it's not an exact science and no clan will get disbanded because the 'last active' stats a player hasn't been actively playing, if we all know that he's been active on the boards and such.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."