New Members for DOW

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

griffon
Recruit
Recruit

New Members for DOW

Post by griffon » Wed May 11, 2005 2:20 pm

We are proud to announce that grizzled veteran Hannibal and newbie Odessa (Odi) have joined the ranks of DOW!

DOW

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed May 11, 2005 2:31 pm

Grizzled veteran? Oh, that guy with the elephant avatar that joined last week :wink:
First one here, last one to leave.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed May 11, 2005 2:48 pm

Is that right?

Hannibal did not mention leaving the Vulkings. It also seems strange that he'd like to change a clan when he doesn't play or hasn't even intended to play any games lately.

Isn't it some other newbie-player accidentally taking a nick that is already in use?

Han?

trewqh

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed May 11, 2005 2:48 pm

Wait what?... what happened to the Vulkings?
The scars remind us that the past is real.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed May 11, 2005 2:51 pm

Nothing, we're quiet, but we're still here.

trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed May 11, 2005 2:58 pm

I can confirm that Hannibal's profile has been switched to DoW. He also applied to the scholars today, but then let me know that he was just testing. It may be that the same is true for DoW, I don't know.

As a side note, multiple accounts can't have the same name.

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed May 11, 2005 3:24 pm

Trying out some nice wines there Han? Diamant, Parador or Kir? (all being extremely cheap for those of you that didnt get the joke.)

griffon
Recruit
Recruit

Post by griffon » Fri May 13, 2005 11:42 am

so its up to Hanniball to say if wants to be in DOW, Vulkings or Scholars or wherever
G

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri May 13, 2005 11:53 am

lol You said "ball"

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Re: New Members for DOW

Post by Hannibal » Fri May 13, 2005 1:22 pm

griffon wrote:We are proud to announce that grizzled veteran Hannibal and newbie Odessa (Odi) have joined the ranks of DOW!

DOW
I only just came across this thread, so am replying immediately.

Oops. Er, make that double-oops. Oooops.

And very sorry for the confusion. I already replied to Griffon's email, but just found this, so I'll say it again here.

My fault, accidental, but you can see how it happened ....

I'm supposed to be updating that "New visitors look here!" spiel of mine that tells visitors what sort of game we are and sells the game to them. Because it was written in Autumn of 2004, before Kaobase 2, and ends by directing them to look at games on "Search all games" to the left, and tells them to find a clanhead through the Members List via a tab at the top etc. So I'm supposed to be updating the end-section on how to join, right?

So I go "My Lobby", and check WHAT to tell them to do. It still says it's a preview and that most parts are not working yet. I try to see whether the crucial bit of "Apply to join Clan X" is working or not. So I click on a clan's "Apply" box, fully expecting it (as in the old system) to call up an empty email to the clanhead for the joiner to write in and send, just to check the link is in place, expecting to then cancel the email, no harm done, nothing sent, just a test of the system.

I click it for a clan, nothing happens. I assume it is not yet enabled. But maybe it depends on the clan, enabled only if the clan took up a link? So I try another clan. Same zero reaction, zero result. Clearly when you click on "Apply to join" it is one of those bits the site tells you to expect not to be up and running yet. I try a third clan, entering a bit of text, just to see if something APPEARS to be happening, eg whether my text is left there unprocessed, or seems to have been taken into the ether. Can't tell. Looks like the newbie trying to use these boxes will have no effect. Get ready to update my spiel saying do NOT use the Apply box, but email using any names/addresses given to you in the description of the clan and its members ....

Then I find a clan or two accepting me into their ranks, by email to my PC .... OOps! All I did was click on one button, expecting it to call up an email I could use. I had no idea that one click, even empty of any text at all, would send out an application to join. I thought I'd just tested it, not actually used it and applied! And (like newbies) I got no telltale or confirmation that my click had been accepted and passed on .....

So, it was a system test. I THOUGHT it had showed me that the Apply box was void. Instead, I seem to have applied to 3 clans, with one click, with or without text, and no signal that anything had been sent.

Sorry about that. You can see how it happened.

I was always staying with the Vulkings, cheering them on, never any intent to apply elsewhere, just testing the system.

But thanks for the yes, and I'll now cheer on the clan I almost accidentally joined!

Sorry.

And congrats on getting Odessa into your clan. Go, Odessa!

Cheers,
~ Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri May 13, 2005 2:21 pm

Fair point on the notice about stuff not working, but that's Rune's fault. All the bits *I* added work! :wink:

I can add a confirmation that mail was sent easily enough, I'll add it to the list.

However, on reflection, I think it is fairly obvious what the clan application bit does.
Join (clan name)

If you wish to join (clan name) please use this form. If you want to provide any addtional about yourself, then use the text box provided, your request to join will be emailed to (clan head) who will deal with it as soon as possible.
If you apply to several clans, only the most recent will be able to accept you!
It's a form to apply to a clan, stuff in the text box will get sent. No reason for n00bs to expect an email popup. :D
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri May 13, 2005 2:30 pm

Korexus, put in as many confirmations as you can. You should never leave people guessing at if the site works or not, so please do add a confirmation. Maybe not a pop-up as it might get blocked, just a page that says thanks for applying to <clan> you will hear back from the clan head shortly.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri May 13, 2005 2:34 pm

AAAAAHhh, my eyes!!!

They hurt from trying to read through Han's entire post. :wink:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri May 13, 2005 2:38 pm

Han, you should hire someone to help you summarize. I'll do it for your last post.
I was testing the clan sign-up system and didn't know it was already working. Sorry for all the fake sign-ups, but i'm staying with The Vulkings.
There you go...no, no...don't mention it. It was nothing. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Fri May 13, 2005 3:29 pm

Saladin wrote:Han, you should hire someone to help you summarize. I'll do it for your last post.
I was testing the clan sign-up system and didn't know it was already working. Sorry for all the fake sign-ups, but i'm staying with The Vulkings.
There you go...no, no...don't mention it. It was nothing. :P
Fair point. I agree. Thanks. (In fact, I DID used to hire such people when I ran a big ad agency! I used to burble on, they'd summarise the pearls!!)
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri May 13, 2005 5:27 pm

lol, you actually did? That is funny.