WOK IV Manual

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

WOK IV Manual

Post by Donut » Tue May 10, 2005 12:49 am

So I was looking at the WOK IV manual while trying to help a n00b and realized that it looks "not very good" compared to the current site style, and should have some grammar updates.

I've decided to reformat and update the manual. If everyone could take a quick once over of the manual and find as many grammar errors or any changes that you can find and send them to me, or post them. I'll take care of the formatting... but I'm not too nitpicky so I don't think I'll be too good finding all of them.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue May 10, 2005 8:15 am

http://www.kaomaris.com/WoK-On_Manual.htm

At least make sure you're looking at the right manual... :roll:
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun May 15, 2005 9:46 pm

What's the best way to phrase this?

"your orders are processed one-by-one and so will be with the attacks you conduct."

-or-

Remember that your orders are processed one-by-one. If your armies invade a province, you must attack from that province to the next.

Also, do new players usually attack from a single province or do they chain them correctly? It's my experience that they usually don't understand how to do it at least the first time, but Chris says noone messes it up.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun May 15, 2005 10:15 pm

Neither is the best way, as I told you on messenger.

Also, I didn't say no one, I said very few. In fact I said that I'd heard of it happening once.

I think I see why Underdog was getting irate...

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Sun May 15, 2005 10:33 pm

I have heard of one case before where a new player tried to attack several neutrals from his starting province. Generally I think most new players won't make this mistake but it certainly won't hurt to put a reminder/explanation of how attacks are conducted into the mannual.

How about having some examples for beginners, i.e. show a section of a map (containing a starting province and a few surrounding neutrals) then the attack orders used how they are carried out e.g.:

Example:
"All players usually start in a random province (such as province 56 shown in picture A below) on the map that contains 12 armies at level 1.75 that can be used to attack during your first turn."
"At the start of the game all players can carry out three attacks. Let us assume that you decide to take provinces 55, 53 and 54. When you type in your attack orders, it is important to remember that orders are processed one-by-one and hence you need to consider any effect that a previous order might have had. For your attacks this means that if you for example first attack province 55 with all your armies (and succeed; see attack order below) than all the surviving armies will end up in the province you attacked.

[2][1]=[56][55][012]

If you then want to make any further attacks with those armies, you need to type in the number of the province they have just invaded as the origin of your next attack. Assuming you want to attack 54 next you would need to type in the following:

[2][2]=[55][54][012]

A third attack to claim province 53 would look something like this:

[2][3]=[54][53][012]

If all your attacks are successful then the new map will look as shown in picture B."

The above is just a rough idea of what it could look like.

Xarfei

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun May 15, 2005 10:59 pm

I tried to leave out as many tips as possible and make the manual a source of purely rules and numbers. I think most clans have at least a guide and I think most n00bs get taught the game by another player. If it's not as big of a problem as I think it is then I'll just leave it as is.

I'm sure theres more mistakes than what Chris could find but here it is:
http://people.msoe.edu/~jorgensj/wokivmanual.htm

Donut

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun May 15, 2005 11:04 pm

Well, scrolling to the bottom, the EFF changes from spy operations are still wrong. I can't be bothered to look at it any more tonight...

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Mon May 16, 2005 1:50 am

well I didn't read over it too closely but that bottom right corner can't be right I'm sure it should say "The peoples chUmp"
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon May 16, 2005 5:18 am

I havent looked at it yet but I just wanted to say that I did this mistake in my very first game. Still remember what Nick answered. "I see what you are trying to do here." And then he explained how it was done. Too bad that I was waaay behind at that point :)

This was back in the previous century. The fall of -99.
First one here, last one to leave.

Duke

Post by Duke » Mon May 16, 2005 9:40 am

Phase 4. This sentence sounds wierd to me:

Only population can grow to become more population however.

Does it to you 1st language English speakers as well?

This is the only error I could find. (if it is an error at all)

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue May 17, 2005 9:41 am

@Duke: NITPICKER !

@Xarfei: nice work, I definitely think we should add some graphical examples to the new WOKON manual - put in some arrows to illustrate how the Provinces got attacked one after another and youre set imho

@Donut/Chris: when do we get to replace the old manual and can we integrate in a better way into the content site management ?

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue May 17, 2005 1:09 pm

*My* Manual is already linked from the Lobby. As supreme dictator of WoK I have yet to be convinced coughbribedenoughcough to replace it with Josh's version.

I figured we should keep the WoK IV manual link available at least until the current WoK IV games are finished.

Chris.

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Tue May 17, 2005 2:25 pm

I have added some arrows to the image.

Maybe we should have two versions of the Wok manual, one being the standard manual that we have already (containing all the esential info for the advanced players) and one manual for beginners that explains each phase using pictures and excerpts from sample turn reports.

Xarfei

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue May 17, 2005 2:46 pm

The way I see it the manual should only be a pure guide of how the manager run. Strategy and such should be left to the player to learn/come up with.

I decided to redo the manual not on my own, but after several people mentioned to me that it was hard to get through. My only goal is to make it easier to read. It don't matter to me who does it, or how it's done... but I definitely think that it needs to be changed.

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Tue May 17, 2005 3:08 pm

Donut wrote:The way I see it the manual should only be a pure guide of how the manager run. Strategy and such should be left to the player to learn/come up with.
I wasn't trying to suggest to put strategy suggestions into the manual. I was suggesting to put in pictures or excerpts from TRs to demonstrate/highlight/show "how the manager runs" orders.

I do think however this should not be put in the main manual (since all the extra stuff would be confusing to advanced players).

I would be happy to design such a manual with added examples for beginners myself as soon as I haved finished my examinations (last one is on the 10th of June) if people think it could be helpful.

Otherwise I will just spend more time on gettting drunk and high....

Xarfei

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue May 17, 2005 6:07 pm

Oh, the supreme god of everything have suddenly returned from WoW to pay some attention to his creation (which now is run by others) and while he is at it he throws a little slur against an old loyal player and GM. Lovely :wink:

@Donut
Re-doing the manual is a great initiative. Dont listen to that old Siemens geezer. And I agree that strategy should be kept out. That is why we have clans.

@Korexus
Dont you have some finals or something to do?

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue May 17, 2005 6:08 pm

lol!!

no.no let me be the first to ask.

Who is Gm Lovely?

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue May 17, 2005 6:13 pm

We prefer you get drunk and hi (and laid !) but AFTER you re-did the manual. I strongly suggest a cooperation with Donut on the matter, and maybe you can work with Han to get the "New visitors look here!" updated too (no PDF please, we want ol' Chris to integrate any information into the site design :D

Looks very promising so far !

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed May 18, 2005 12:44 am

Nice to see "the Emperror strike back" into this creation of his.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed May 18, 2005 7:58 am

Did Al just do a 180 on his view of this?

Oh and I am not doing anything but nitpick here. Donut is your guy on the manual so far. Korexus is the Überstormführer who decides if his new version is being accepted.

.pdf is the overall best form of distributing information. If the rest of the world outside Sweden could understand this then you might catch up to us in terms of intelligence. *ducks down*