Im impressed !

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Im impressed !

Post by gm_al » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:41 pm

Back from some trip my office sent me to, and with finally a little more time at hands to stroll back into the community - yes, Im still alive !!

Kudos to Chris for pulling the WOKON stunt off, the latest addition of Clan structures (as planned) really puts the whole game into a new perspective.

It also means we have to act a bit, all together. Now that Hannibal is back (never doubted this, mate :D ) he might want to re-do his old "New visitors look here!" PDF, pointing to the online WOKON version and that players should register first and then hit the lobby to get going. Try doing it in some HTML format and not PDF please, so everything can be integrated into the new layout.

I for my part will try to optimize the site a bit so that n00bs in WOK know better what to do. Ill also nag Chris with more suggestions :) (catch me in the chat or on Skype please)

TK and Nick, please send me a sum-up of WOK5 code changes needed !

Trewqh - remember the "WOK Encyclopedia" project... ?

Its time to slowly say goodbye to the traditional WOK4 setups, and embrace the new WOKON with a breed of new players - so everyone, START RECRUITING ! Point new players to the lobby clan pages and get those WOKON waitlists filled.

Yeah, you can tell Im back in town :)

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:18 pm

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA... Salt in the wounds. Oxford banned Skype.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:02 am

Al, did you get the email that the W5 focus group sent you like three months ago now? We covered suggested tribal changes in depth, and as I said in the mail, we weren't going to tackle other WOK 5 issues (the magic system comes to mind as the area most needing improvement) until we saw if you were willing to implement the W5 tribal changes that we suggested. That stands; if you are willing to implement the fruits of our labor then we're more than willing to cook up some other suggestions. That seemed to be the general consensus, at any rate.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:20 am

Nick, Ive mentionned (at least to TK) several times that due to a crash and new hardware all mails from that time were lost.

Please send me again what you have and Ill get to work.

trewqh

Re: Im impressed !

Post by trewqh » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:21 pm

gm_al wrote:Trewqh - remember the "WOK Encyclopedia" project... ?
No. :P

Sorry, but I'm not THAT much back, yet.

trewqh

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:02 pm

Al...always trying to get people to do work....
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Re: Im impressed !

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:40 pm

[quote="gm_al"]
It also means we have to act a bit, all together. Now that Hannibal is back (never doubted this, mate :D ) he might want to re-do his old "New visitors look here!" PDF, pointing to the online WOKON version and that players should register first and then hit the lobby to get going. :)[/quote

Done. Except, I think, that they can't just register first, they have to be accepted by a clan first? Or am I being equally confused? OK, I may be wrong, but I wrote it as if the first step is to join and be accepted into a clan, the second step to register and get going...... Feel free to correct my Intro., you're the boss.

Cheers,
~ Han
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:34 am

You're correct. Not only is it impossible for a player to join a game without being in a clan, GM's can't add them to games until they are associated with a clan. At least that was when I last played with it.

Donut

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:47 am

*still waiting for Al to fix the clan imbalances that have existed for the better part of the last year*

*not holding his breath* :roll:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:43 am

*Believes Dameon is actually talking about tribes while everyone else is talking about clans*

Not that it's not a fair point, just out of place.

And yes, you have to be in a clan or a mercenary to join a wookie game and you can't go merc unless you're advanced*. clever, wot?

korexus.

*This may not be true, it may be possible to go merc so long as you are in a clan, it's been a while since I looked at the code. It's on my list, honest!!
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:12 am

korexus wrote:*Believes Dameon is actually talking about tribes while everyone else is talking about clans*
LOL!!
First one here, last one to leave.

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:42 am

Dameon wrote:*not holding his breath* :roll:

You should be joining groups and raking in the cheap VPs. Everyone else seems happy to do it. :x

You might think people would prefer to play a more balanced game, rather than grabbing cheap wins in an unstable system. :roll:

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:33 pm

I don't think it's out of place Kor; Al started this thread to congratulate everybody on working while he at the same time does nothing about the most obvious issues. Anyway, I'm sure people would prefer to play in a more balanced system, TK, but it's not like we have the option to. Al clearly doesn't have the time (or inclination, perhaps) to actually update WOK 5 anymore, and unless he's willing to stay on top of that the tribal imbalances will continue to cause a serious limit to be put on the number of actual winning strategies out there. There's simply no challenge to WOK 5 anymore, not when the same strategies are used over and over again to get VPs.

Anyway, I'm actually just as glad to be leaving for the summer soon, maybe Al will update things in the next two months so I have a more balanced version of WOK to play/GM when I get back. Then again, like I said, I'm not holding my breath. If he doesn't, I think I'll just make sure to X-Game all the WOK 5 games I GM so that certain tribal selections are simply not allowed- I bet you can guess which ones, too.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:09 pm

I promise a WOK5 update for the summer. Right now my daily schedule is like 10 hours of work and a fast growing WOW guild to manage when i get home (beside my other work). On top of that Ive been struggling with an aging PC and technical problems overthe last weeks.

Not much time left for WOK, I admit, but I look forward to implement new changes into WOK5.

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:48 pm

Dont let my dissillusioned clanmate get to you Al. You made this game. We should be thankful. Keep up the good work.

(Nick, I agree with you to a certain extent. No need to come down on Al about it in the way you do though)

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:46 pm

Duke, I only do it because I know what it's like being sucked into a MMORPG. AL shows all the signs, and he admits his addiction. I've been where you are AL, not with WOW, but with previous MMORPGs (and maybe with DnD in the fall too, I admit) My only concern is that you are completely ignoring WOK, when in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't take all that long to implement the changes since we've already suggested them and all you'd have to do is program the feasible ones in. I'm simply frustrated; you've been promising the changes for at least six months and nothing has come of it yet. I do appreciate all you've done AL, you'll never hear me say otherwise, but that doesn't change the fact that you've basically abandoned WOK for WOW.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:53 am

Well, when you put it like that.....*looks at Al*

So Nick, what do you suggest? Should all of us oldtimers take a plane to Austria and do an intervention with Al. Making him face his addiction and help him take himself out of it. Walk the 10 steps.

I guess we just have to make this community even more addictive then WoW and he will come back. (did I just sound like a houswife whos husband just hired a really hot and young secretary?)

Protput
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Protput » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:45 pm

I've heard some guys in our school dropped out because of WoW, sickening isn't it :lol:

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:56 pm

Protput wrote:I've heard some guys in our school dropped out because of WoW, sickening isn't it :lol:
Wow... :shock:

lol...........
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:01 pm

Oh yea... that and Everquest and Counter Strike, they get quite a few people every year. I'm afraid that when you go to get Al... you'll have to go through QP first as I think she's just as addicted. :P

Donut