NAPs

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Egbert
Commander
Commander

NAPs

Post by Egbert » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:41 pm

I am sure we have all heard and been involved in our share of arguments over NAP-breaking. :argue: The typical argument is over what terms were supposed to be in the NAP, express or implied, and what certain phrases mean. They could mean different things to different people. :deal:

Well, although those arguments can be entertaining to read about, :popcorn: I think our World would be a better place if we can come close to eliminating those types of arguments. So, in an effort to do that, I propose the following:

We could create on the main webpage somewhere a certain number of standard types of NAPs, and the exact terms that each NAP would include. That way, if someone is too lazy in an email to lay out for the other person what is or is not included, all they have to do is say something like, "Standard Fixed NAP, 5 turns," or "Restrictive Continuous NAP, no minimum," and the 2 of them will know exactly what is included. I'll elaborate:

(I'll do just WOK4 NAPs for now)
"Standard" would mean no attacking, bombing, or spying on the other person while the NAP is in effect.

"Restrictive" would mean no attacking, bombing, or spying on the other person, and no allowing any other person to come through your lands to attack, bomb, or spy, while the NAP is in effect.

"Fixed" would mean that the NAP ends after a certain number of turns has elapsed, through and including that turn.

"Continuous" would mean that the NAP continues indefinitely, but it can be terminated on 2 turns' notice by either party. If the parties wish, they can say that the "Continuous" NAP must be for a certain minimum number of turns, which would mean that is the number of turns which must elapse before either party can give notice.

So, all WOK4 NAPs would be:
1. Standard or Restrictive
PLUS
2. Fixed or Continuous (with Continuous having a Min.Turn option).

We can tinker with all of the above, but that is the basic idea. So what do you guys and gals think?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:10 am

I think a 5 pound bag of flour makes one heck of a big biscuit.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:01 am

Underdog wrote:I think a 5 pound bag of flour makes one heck of a big biscuit.
A bag of flour for £5? Thats expensive! :wink:

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:43 am

Egbert, I see what you are trying to do, but I think that is all part of playing, negotiating, and sometimes even seeing what you can get extra out of any deal you make.

I personally would rather keep working with others, and if they screw me over then deal with it and know who you can work with and who you can't.

Massielita
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:49 am

Although i agree with Eg, i think that there are players/clans who like to keep their wording vague so they can stab somebody in the back when it suits them. So i don't think that you'll see them use this.

BTW if i have a continuous nap with a 2 round cancelation period and a 6 round minimum, that means that the nap can be canceled after 4 rounds and attacks can begin after round six. So a slightly different way of looking at things, which i guess can lead to misunderstandings.

So it would be good to have some standards set, of course people (read: TFF) don't have to use them, but for the others i could be quite useful.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:06 pm

Saladin wrote:So it would be good to have some standards set, of course people (read: TFF) don't have to use them, but for the others i could be quite useful.
KMart(cheap) shot eh?

Please explain in detail if you can.......
Last edited by Allister Fiend on Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:10 pm

The basic idea to provide players a set of NAPs to use is a good one. I will talk to Chris and Rune how we possibly could integrate something in this sense into WOKON. I imagine something like an overview at the end of a Turn report (or on a separate link) that states your relation with the other players, maybe looking like:

Relation to Player X: NAP
NAP terms agreed:
- no attacking
- no spying

There would be no check if the terms are met, but it could be a good reminder to the players. A tool to offer NAPs and change terms would also be provided.

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:17 pm

Saladin wrote:So it would be good to have some standards set, of course people (read: TFF) don't have to use them, but for the others i could be quite useful.
We have had no problems in the year that I have been in TFF.

I guess Sal doesnt like us now that we are better than the Scholars. :lol:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:55 pm

Oh it was TFF that won the Clan Champs did they?

Or last years Champs?

Or last years Vice Champs?

:twisted:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:17 pm

Meh, I personally don't care either way. I doubt if an actual form existed I'd use it. Honestly, I haven't had problems with NAP breaking for ages, not since TK. Now that TK sticks to stabbing his allies in the back instead, there's not really anybody out there that I believe is a NAP breaker.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:40 pm

Saladin wrote: So it would be good to have some standards set, of course people (read: TFF) don't have to use them, but for the others i could be quite useful.
:roll: yawn!!!!!!
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:02 pm

Awesome... more bickering...

I for one wouldn't use them. I don't remember who said it, I think Massie, but for one like to try to get as much out of someone as I can. Let's not forget that half the game is diplomacy.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:11 pm

Dameon wrote:Now that TK sticks to stabbing his allies in the back instead
Four shared wins in 2004, with four different allies. :wink:

I think everyone knows who the shady diplomat around here is.

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:16 pm

Oh and Sal - I said *now* we are better. Past victories dont change that. :P

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:29 pm

I guess I know where this has come from and I have learned the hard way from it. (Check out Vals S.America game). There was a huge e-mail exchange and/or thread regarding A dispute between Raw and Hannibal in the aforementioned game. I stood as go between for part of it and have realised that some of the advice I gave doesn't always work.

Basically my philosophy has always been to be very careful regarding naps with people I haven't played regularly with or are new or what I would call "untrustworthy" but with other people I nap regularly with I am often lax in the terms at least initially sometimes the whole game. A phrase I use a lot is "no nasty stuff". This means what it says in that anything which can be construed as bad, missiles, spies, letting people through your territory etc. and I have never had a problem through it. For instance I have a nap with Duke in a game at the moment and we haven't set any terms at all but I know he won't attack me or allow anyone else to do via his lands.

Now in Vals game I am napped with Raw who I have napped with a billion squillion times with the same terms and no problems. However this game is now down to the three of us, me Eg and Raw. (Raw egg yuck). Raw has cut me off from Eg to protect Eg from me while Raw and my nap expired. Eg came through Raw's provinces and attacked me, with me safe in the knowledge that he couldn't and the two Scholars surprised at my total lack of defences at such an obviosu ploy. Now I technically could take my bat and ball home like severeal other players would have or just shrug and say "well next time bozo you'll know to spell it out" even if it has cost me the game.

I should have explained what I meant and Raw should have asked though neitehr of us felt we needed to.

I don't think set nap terms will work tbh, didn't we have a nap form at some point that no-one used?
Question everything.

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:07 pm

Lardmaster wrote: A phrase I use a lot is "no nasty stuff". This means what it says in that anything which can be construed as bad, missiles, spies, letting people through your territory etc.

Now in Vals game I am napped with Raw who I have napped with a billion squillion times with the same terms and no problems. However this game is now down to the three of us, me Eg and Raw. (Raw egg yuck). Raw has cut me off from Eg to protect Eg from me while Raw and my nap expired. Eg came through Raw's provinces and attacked me, with me safe in the knowledge that he couldn't and the two Scholars surprised at my total lack of defences at such an obviosu ploy.
It's a "brilliant" tactic they like to employ. In fact, it's because Eggy once pulled that crap in a game, that I now include "no letting others through" in every NAP I make. You wouldn't think it would be necessary, but it is.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:08 pm

LM is a NAP breaker :wink:
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Raw wrote:LM is a NAP breaker :wink:
Since when is LM a Scholar?
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:14 pm

AF is a NAP breaker.
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:20 am

ROFL @ Raw
Question everything.