Site income from banner on main page - yes/no ?

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Site income from banner on main page - yes/no ?

Post by gm_al » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:12 pm

Now that the new site is running smoothly Im considering running a commercial banner on the main page. We deliver some 20k - 30k impressions a month and I have serious content providers that would give us banners to run there.

It would bring a steady flow of cash into WOK, although just a small sum. Please let me know your views on this.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:05 pm

I'd prefer them to be reputable companies, Amazon and such, that way theres a legitimate reason to click the banner. I have no problem with seeing a banner on the top.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:25 pm

Why not??? If there is a small amount of income coming in to help make WOK better then that would be great. Bring on the banners!

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:20 am

I agree, if it helps us out then it is a good idea.

Massieilta
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

Melonus Maximus
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Melonus Maximus » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:32 pm

No problem with a banner but try to pick a sponser with international links. I've had offers to try out a flat screen tv for free, lately, on various sites I've browsed, but its only open to American citizens :(

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:20 pm

I don't see a real problem with it, but at least try to keep it to banners so we can avoid pop-ups. Granted my blocking software stops most pop-ups, but some still get through and it can be pretty annoying. As long as these sponsors aren't getting access to email addresses I see no harm in having them advertise on the page.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:47 pm

Im currently in talk with a few banner providers, paying CPM (cost-per-thousand impressions) or CPC (cost-per-click on a banner).

Its clear that I want to avoid pop-ups, but of course the income with them would be higher. A real problem is also that most providers require a certain number of clicks/impressions in order to accept us. We currently deliver around 25k impressions per month, thats - usually - not enough to get bigger ad companies interested.

Ill see what i can do.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:38 am

According to the answers I got from ad companies we simply dont have enough traffic right now to be "worthy" for their ad campaigns... :cry:

Well we can change that - there is a new, excellent traffic exchange that currently storms the net - TRAFFIC PODS. If you have some clicky time left please sign up for it (use the banner from main page).

Here is how we can use it to drive traffic to the site:
1. sign up with the banner provided
2. add the kaomaris link in the "URL Manager" and validate it
3. use credits from surfing to drive traffic to our site by adding a new "Campaign" with the WOK URL

Basically with TP you surf "Pods" where a Pod consists of 10 sites. You get credits for your own traffic for every Pod you surf. Every 10 Pods and 100 Pods you can win some extra cash and (traffic) credits. By buying your own Pod (which I did) you get traffic for everyone surfing in it (which means literally an avalanche of traffic).

Every pod has a "value" according to sites surfed by its owner and the people he referred. Every week all pods get ranked (we started as #325) according to how much we all surf. The better we rank the more traffic we get - according to a multiplier. #325 has a 1.5x multiplier, Top 50 would be 10x which means A LOT of visitors. So every site you surf will help us push up the ladder.

I believe we may need to work with some traffic exchanges like TP for some time to get us not only more players, but also good advertisers and actually good ad campaigns. Ive put up TP because all you need to do to help is to surf with it, no cash involved. Ill be paying the Pod this month just to see the results I can get from it and we may want to keep using it after that if it gives us good results.