Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Equus
Recruit
Recruit

Introducing me

Post by Equus » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:10 am

Hey all,

I am a brand newbie excited about joining the Worlds of Kaomaris.

I have been accepted by a clan (Balance of Time - feel free to throw us money) and anxious to get going.

I've played a variety of PBeM over the years (I am old and infirm so will not put a number on those years) and currently I'm also playing in Battlemaster.

Regarding some other threads I've read:

1. I discovered WoK in a kind of circuitous route, of which all of the steps I don't rightly remember. I started at Greg Lindahl's PBM pages, hunted down a lot of different games from there, and somewhere clicked a link to a site advertising multiplayer games..wish I could remember the name (no I didn't bookmark it - did you not see the bit above about old and infirm?) but their colour scheme was a black and orangey kinda colour. Yeah, that describes how many sites on the net already? heheheh

2. Regarding recruitment, the only off-putting thing I have found so far is that the info I've read suggested I *had* to be accepted by a clan before I could register here on the website. It would have been nice to at least browse one or two of the forums to get a better feel for the game and the folks playing it. No biggie though, as I was actively looking for a game to play. Might be a bit more intimidating for the casual browser.

So, let's have at it! I am no big deal strategist, although I do have something of a flair for revenge and suicide missions.

I look forward to stealing the VP's from beneath your very noses!

Equus

Insert some groovy quotation here.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:34 am

Let me be the first to welcome you here on the board Equus!

You've found yourself a good clan (no Scholars of course, but he...can't win them all :P ) and i hope you will enjoy your time here in Kaomaris.

Lets hope that a GM soon opens up another wok 4 group so you can have some taste of the action.

A suicidal maniac looking for revenge...sounds like my kind of player. :twisted:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:33 am

Suicides are intentional Sal :P

Welcome again Equus. Don't worry about your age... lots of old people here to keep you feeling young... actually I think us "young-ens" are a minority. I would like to open another group... but I forget to run the turns in the ones I'm running at the moment sometimes... (uhhhh... note to self, gotta run a turn).

You'll also find that there are actually very few serious posts, mostly me making fun of Raw, and such.

As for your recruitment adventure it's actually pretty helpful. Only way to tell us what were doin wrong are noobs.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Equus
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Equus » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:05 pm

[quote="Saladin"]Let me be the first to welcome you here on the board Equus!

You've found yourself a good clan (no Scholars of course, but he...can't win them all :P ) and i hope you will enjoy your time here in Kaomaris.

Lets hope that a GM soon opens up another wok 4 group so you can have some taste of the action.

A suicidal maniac looking for revenge...sounds like my kind of player. :twisted:[/quote]

Thank you Saladin! I expect thing will be quiet over the holidays, or does everyone come out of the wood work at that time? regardless, having done a skim over the rules, I see there is some complexity that I'll have to digest, so I'm in no panic rush to get into a game. Mind you that's often the best way to learn. Nothing like a whoopin' to set the priorities straight!

Equus
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Equus » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:12 pm

[quote="Donut"]

You'll also find that there are actually very few serious posts, mostly me making fun of Raw, and such.

As for your recruitment adventure it's actually pretty helpful. Only way to tell us what were doin wrong are noobs.

Donut[/quote]

Heheh Donut..thanks for the welcome. Can you imagine having a serious discussion with a Donut? Well, okay, maybe if your a police officer /duck.

As for the recruitment story, I read a few threads and recruitment seems to be an on again, off again "problem", so I thought I'd do what I could to contribute.

As for the tone of the discussions, yeah there is a *lot* of rib poking isn't there? Is there somewhere on the site I could see how long the various players have been in the game? It's not a big deal but I've seen a few other games track that kinda thing and it's helpful sometimes when you get advice from someone, to know they might actually have half a clue.

I guess it could also be helpful when you're trying to determine turnover rates too. A steady progression of days for newbies to years for the oldtimers could help determine some characteristics. For instance, if there seems to be a sudden gap been the newbs and oldies, you might better be able to identify some event that stopped all recruitment for a while, like site outages or other technical glitches, holidays, summer vs. winter etc.

That would give a clue as to when you could recruit with good results, and when you might need to step up or innovate your recruitment efforts for those quiet times.

Anyway, blah blah blah...I;m sure *someone* out there has thought of all this before ;)

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:07 pm

One of the purposes behind the clans is for newbies to get help from the old-timers. With very few exceptions, clans are generally headed by folks who have a clue at what they are doing. Isn't Yarosund in charge of BoT currently if I am not mistaken? If so, he's been around forevert, so you can always rely on his advice. My only caveat is never take advice from members who have names with any kind of royal implication in them, they tend to be kinda unbalanced. :P
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:11 pm

Equus wrote:Anyway, blah blah blah...I;m sure *someone* out there has thought of all this before ;)
LOL, what gave you the idea that there's any thinking going on here except of course by good old Eggie. :D

BTW should you ever want to discuss tactics or need any help (apart from all the help you'll get from BoT of course), always feel free to ask me. Love to talk tactics.

Now if only i would be better at remembering to send in orders. :roll:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:42 am

Saladin wrote:Now if only i would be better at remembering to send in orders. :roll:
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... The entire post I was thinking the exact same thing. If you go M-3 in my group, you're fired.

Donut

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:50 pm

We, TFF, will hunt you down and start teaching lessons around here!! :shock:

Welcome aboard!
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:47 pm

Well Equus I will add my welcome to the mix too. I know you will have lots of fun with the game, and don't worry you will get more action then you can handle eventually. Holiday times and then the WOK IV and WOK V champs will be starting at the begining of the year, but after that there should be lots of games to get your feet wet.

Just remember when people start making naps with you just ask yourself what are they getting out of it. Since there reason for making the nap is to get something out of it.

Anyway, the best of luck.

Massielita
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

Yarosund
Trooper
Trooper

Welcome

Post by Yarosund » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:01 pm

Hello again Equus.
Good to see that you made it onto the boards.
I hope you manage to make it into a game soon, ang enjoy taking part in some challenging games.
Any help that you need just ask.

Thanks also to Dameon fo saying that I know what I'm doing. However, this is not really true as I tend to just stumble through the game hanging on as long as possible. Hopefully, you'll do better than me.

And don't worry about being older than some. There are a few of us who are on the wrong side of 40, so you could be in good company.

Cheers

Dameon

Re: Welcome

Post by Dameon » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:23 pm

Yarosund wrote:
And don't worry about being older than some. There are a few of us who are on the wrong side of 40, so you could be in good company.

Cheers
You know, as a teacher, I often feel old after dealing with kids all day, and I'm just in my mid twenties. This really helps put it all in perspective though, y'know? Thanks Yaro. :P
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:03 am

Ahhhh.... Yaro's over 40?!?! I'm not working with that guy again :P

Donut

Yarosund
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Yarosund » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:34 am

That's what I like to see age-ism
Now you know that I am working with a disadvantage (poor eyesite, bad memory, erm and 1 or 2 other things that I cannot remember) you guys really ought to go easy on me. (it's worth a try - going for a touch of sympathy).
However, even if I am a tadge over 40, most people seem to think I am a lot younger (that's RL). It allways pays to keep telling yourself this even if people just say it to be polite.
I'll let all you young whipper snappers get back to your chat now, and I'll go and do whatever I was supposed to be doing once I remember what it was.

Cheers

Melonus Maximus
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Melonus Maximus » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:52 am

Hi Equus. Hope u enjoy WOK. Yarosund is my favourite player of the month (cos he helped me get my 1st VP :lol: ) and he's not even in my clan!! Hope someone starts a new game soon so we can play together.

BTW if over 40 is old does that mean us in our 30's are middle-aged :?

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:27 am

And hello from me, Equus. Glad you found our safe haven. :wink:

Take care that we are currently in a phase of transition towards pushing WOK4 totally online (WOKON). We hope to be ready to start a battery of testgames with the new year, so there should be plenty of opportunities to learn your ways around in WOK. Within a month WOKON will then replace most of the old WOK4 games - please follow the thread about it on the WOKON section of the boards, as some rules have been changed for the online version of WOK.

Try logging in and using the "Lobby" link from the left column - this is your new "home" in WOK. Rune added a little more functionality over the last days, check it out (note to vets: you can now search games from the lobby, so expect the old KaoBase to dissapear shortly, as soon as the new one can take over)

Enjoy your stay, may your missiles always hit the right spots. :P

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:37 pm

Melonus Maximus wrote: BTW if over 40 is old does that mean us in our 30's are middle-aged :?
Well Technically we ARE awfully close. I don't know what the average life span is anymore but the last time I checked it was around 72 for men so I am over half of that.

And BTW I want to wish Bjorn a,

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY.

And to everyone, Merry Christmas.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:10 am

No... I'd have to say all the 30 year olds out there are old. 40 puts you in the ancient category. And then in Bjorn's case.... Hmmm... Dirt? :P

I kid I kid :lol: :lol:

Donut

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:26 am

Underdog wrote:Well Technically we ARE awfully close. I don't know what the average life span is anymore but the last time I checked it was around 72 for men so I am over half of that.
72? What kind of underdeveloped country do you live in? .... aaah. The US. 8)
Here in Norway the average life span is 83 for men (it was the last time I heard) and women get even older.
So I plan to play WOK for another 50-60 years at least! Then I might even get good at it...

Oh, and welcome Equus! I look forward to fight you someday soon.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:22 am

Mullog wrote:
72? What kind of underdeveloped country do you live in? .... aaah. The US. 8)
Here in Norway the average life span is 83 for men (it was the last time I heard) and women get even older.
So I plan to play WOK for another 50-60 years at least! Then I might even get good at it...
Well I guess I should have qualified that statement better. I haven't seen any statistics in probably at least 10 years so it could be older. I am not in the life insurance buisness so I don't keep up on it.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here