Ratings Changes

Its all WOK here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Ratings Changes

Post by Donut » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:24 pm

The recent flamers have died out so I figured I'd start a new one.

We're coming up on the year test mark that we set for the rating system and I think it's time that we start evaluating changes in order to implement them at the end of the year test.

Here are the problems that I see with the ratings system:
1. We need more games. As I see it the top players aren't all necessarily at the top of the list and I believe that's simply because we still don't have enough games in.

2. I was also thinking that increasing the differences between places would increase the spread from good to bad (ie; 1st - +.150, 2nd - +.125, etc.).

3. We need a new system to record them. I've been promised that Kaobase 2 will track the ratings which is awesome. The problem as it is is that some GM's (most) don't promptly send the rating changes, and then I don't promptly update the page. We hardly have it down to a science although I do believe I'm getting the hang of updating it.

The biggest topic last time was the splitting of RIP bonuses. After a year I still don't believe that it is necessary. RIP bonuses have become a bargaining tool of such. I feel the ratings should be as impartial as possible and bringing in a splitting of the bonus could introduce politics into it.

That being said... I'm going to duck for cover now.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:52 pm

Yeah I've been pretty frustrated I haven't been able to run games lately, but frankly you can blame Verizon for that. I don't think I'll be running any games for another year or so, barring some sort of divine digital intervention. I do plan on running game with a vengeance once I am able to again, that much is certain. As for the rating system....we've had it for a year and I STILL don't see the point. Not just the RIP bonuses and all that, but with kaohalla and HiScore why bother with the ratings at all? I haven't changed my opinion on them at all, I still find them useless and once I get back to GMing I don't plan on tracking them any more than I had been before my unwilling break here.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:40 pm

Kaohalla has become a record of how long a player has been around and how many games a player has played in. The rating system is nice because it is affected both positively and negatively with each passing game depending on how you place. The rating system is by no means necessary, but in that sense neither is Kaohalla. I have also noticed a lack of enthusiasm from many about the system. Any way to fix it?

Donut

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:25 pm

I was quite in favour of it (I think) but now I am not really bothered for it. I couldn't even find the page last time I went to look.
Question everything.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:44 pm

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:32 pm

Funny. It says i only played 2 games and that nothing happened in the ratings for me. I think i played more than two games and that i even won one, so shouldn't there be a change in rating?

A player should be able to follow all his rating changes, so maybe it's easiest for you to just upload the Excel file you use to calculate the ratings. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:52 pm

BTW, why didn't the Champ and Vice-Champ games count in the ratings? I had proposed that perhaps a player's ratings shouldn't go down for participating (because of the strong competition), but I would think that a player's ratings should definitely go up for doing well against tough competition.

Also, who is Papercut?
And who the heck is Phred? :lol:
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:41 pm

LOL. I like it even less now. My rating stinks!!!!!! No wok 4 games and no kills in any games. Shum mishtake I thinksh.
Question everything.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:50 am

Sal: The Excel file is as you see it on the page. I just add or subtract the rating change sent to me by the GM. Val still has to send me some ratings which would be the game that you played and won so there ya go.

Eg: Don't really know why they weren't counted. That's not my department though... I just record what is sent to me :D Papercut was one of the 5 or so players who showed up about the same time and dissappeared at the same time (aliens in my opinion).

LM: Mine does too. I think it's cause I played in WOK 5 games...

Donut

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:26 am

Ah, once again it seems you are forgetting about the "bigger picture" behind the ratings.

What rating does is give some picture of how well a player performs within the year BESIDES earning VPs, some sort of "proof" you could be a "good" player even if you missed getting VPs. Some of the playerbase will not care about their ratings - but others will. With a ton of coming online games there will be way more data, and therefore a bigger natural spread in ratings (and no more forgotten games)

The whole rating process will be fully integrated into the WOK-ON framework and should be as easy as to click a few buttons for the GM. Full automisation once again, but the ratings dont really have high priority atm.

I suggest we cut back the ratings with the new year to simply rate WOK-ON games (when the feature is available). Whenever we have new online possbilities we can add them to the system. A quick overhaul on rules and numbers wouldnt be bad either before we launch it.

PS: Nick, even with so much love for your ISP - how about running some WOK-ON (X-)games once everything is set ? Is there something stopping you ?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:39 am

Josh,

What i meant was that a player is not able to see the different rating changes for the different games. All you can see is the final total. I would like to be able to see all the games people have played and the rating changes involved. That way it's also possible for a player to spot any errors and to know which games have been rated and which not.

If you want i could fiddle with the Excel sheet to get it that way. :D Just mail it to me.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:08 pm

You raise a good point, Al. My problem has been that I was unable to get a steady enough internet connection to MY computer, meaning I couldn't run the WOK manager from it and save things to my hard drive. If there's a cyberspace available in WOK-ON games that would allow me to save things and run games without having to utilize my computer, there is nothing stopping me from being active again. Well, that is besides the fact that WOK-ON only runs WOK 4 games, that is. ;-) Although, depending on the rules changes that are coming that might not be a problem for me. Of course too, I could always X-Game some rules in that ban missiles....mwahahaa. We shall see. 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:11 am

I don't think that WOK 5 should be eliminated from ratings but probably seperated completely. I'd still be willing to keep track of WOK5 assuming GMs are willing to send data. Maybe an easier way to submit ratings would be good... *nudges Chris*.

Sal: Could you imagine the size of that Excel file. I too tip-toed around that Idea when first creating the page, but the size of the file would be enormous and readability would be low. If you wanna try though just copy the table from the page... it's literally the same thing (Minus a minor color change)

Donut

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:22 am

Well if you zip it, it won't be that big.

I can imagine that for the majority of casual player the end total is good enough, but for the statistics freaks like me it would be nice to see that actual numbers. :D

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:17 am

Once the system is integrated into this new WOK-ON thingy I wonder if Sal would be able to do what he wants?
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:52 am

Yeah! I hope so. Though i'm not sure what Christina and Britney have to do with Wok-on? :wink: