Message bugs?

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Dameon

Message bugs?

Post by Dameon » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:13 pm

OK, so the game engine tells me "I am only allowed to send one message per turn", but I have had Allister being able to send me as many messages a turn as he wants to. I am not sure what other players have experienced. I don't understand what is supposed to be happening- is there a bug in my page, his, or? Also, when I click on the "reply" button from the full event logs page, it doesn't do anything- I figured that was being worked on, but the "some players get unlimited messages and some don't" from the main data page baffles me.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:16 pm

It's called the Allister Bug...i think he threatened Korexus to come pay him a visit to try on his new cement shoes...
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:29 am

I don't like to mess with Rune's php much. So until he gets back I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be able to send messages from the allevents window. The most I'd be likely to put in would be an alert telling you that you can't send messages from there and would you please use the main game window. That would at least get rid of the javascript errors on the page...

As for Allister being able to send as many messages as he likes. I wasn't aware of that. As far as I recall the database just flags whether you've sent a message this turn and resets all flags when a turn runs. It could be that logging out of kaobase 2 and back in again could also reset that. I'll go and look...

...No, that didn't do it. At which point I'm slightly low on ideas. Unless Allister's typing the whole thing into the address bar in order to circumvent the submit button. Players please note, I'm fairly sure that Rune wasn't sloppy enough for that to be possible but even if he was, don't do that. You'll only piss certain coders off and then your species will have horrible things happening to it. :evil:

Any clues, AF?

korexus.

[edit]
OK, I just found a way round Rune's coding. It shouldn't be too hard to fix. We just need to check whether the species has sent a message in two places. Unfortunately, that means another database call which (so I'm told) is the bit which slows down the server the most. So I guess I could try asking you all nicely not to cheat, but as the one message/turn was put in to stop spammers, I guess asking nicely might not be enough... :(
[/edit]
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:58 am

The only thing I do different maybe is that I don't reply from the "all event" page. I reply from the data page showing all the most recent events. I do occasionally, "refresh" or just click either "submit" button even though I do not enter any orders, and it just says "you'll be returned to the page in 5 seconds" and then 5 seconds later the page returns with any replies from people even if a new turn isn't run yet. If no messages are returned then the only thing that changes on that page is the time until next urn, step and etc... is due.

That's alll folks, no threats, so tricks, nothing special at all.

Sorry..............

Allister

See below for more info.

This is the events for that specific turn, turn (1213), in case our wondering:

You sent a message to #83 Dameon´s White Wolf:
Actually, I should call it your data page.
It won't let you reply from the "all event" page, at least for me it won't but it will allow unlimited replies from the game page.
and again..... got it/
And again......
See, I just did it again.
All I am doing is replying to your latest message from the events list, but not the one that list "all event' just the one on your game page. Like this.
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:00 am

Oh, one more thing....

If I do try to reply from the "all events" page it won't let me reply at all. I doesn't do anything. If you go to the lates events page it let's you from there though.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:02 am

Maybe you get special priveliges when your Zebra's get eaten for a few turn by some blood hungry wolves.................. :shock:

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:13 am

*Beats head repeatedly against the table in amazment and fustration!*

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, STUPID [glow=red]STUPID!![/glow]

Firstly, we know that the allevents reply link doesn't work yet, as I said above.

Now back to the part about "stupid"...

The message box is a form submission. We've used a text box so that we can limit the number of characters. And the submit button gets ghosted out if you've already sent a message this turn.

Allister, would you, by any chance, by hitting return instead of clicking the 'send message' button?

Why I didn't think of that before I do not know...

I'll look into it.

korexus.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:02 pm

Yes, out of habit I hit return and it sends the message. Actuall never ever hit send message, just enter. :lol:

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:13 pm

Gotcha!

I've made an update, but I'd better run it past at least one person before changing everglades. Hopefully Allister won't be able to spam us all for much longer! :D

korexus.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:01 pm

Why not leave it the way it was? At least you can communicate between players.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:42 pm

Hey I could have eaten ALL of your zebras Allister, but I like you. 8) Also, I agree; what's wrong with being able to send more than one message in a turn? I can understand spamming could be annoying but I don't know if we'd run into that problem necessarily, and I'm all about more communication!
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:47 pm

I agree with Allister. It's been put in to stop spammers. Well we don't have any spammers (yet). So why not simply put up a notice saying if you spam your message option will be turned off. That way us good guys can communicate with each other.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:04 pm

Thankyou, I don't spam people, just send a few extra messages now and then.

AF

Oh and Nick, if you would have eaten all my Zebras then your wolves would be Zebra-sized wolves. :lol: