EVERGLADES JUST BANTER

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:51 am

Ants are an important part of the ecological chain...well at least they were...

BTW what would be a good idea to have people more active is to give a points bonus for every specimen of a specie you kill.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:58 am

Dameon wrote:Whoops, I appear to have stepped on some ants. :twisted:
lol. I wish I could have seen what happened! I logged in this morning, and it said I was extinct. I apparently have no way of finding out what happened. Did I at least fight back?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:36 pm

The game itself gives huge bonuses to those who are more active... Life. I think that the majority of people who get eaten, get eaten while the player is sleeping.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:08 pm

yeah you should definately be able to find out what happened, otherwise it would just piss you off

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:18 pm

Why not allow a species that has gone extinct to simply view it's event log?
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:04 pm

You fought back, but as I started with about 400 more specimens than you, it was a quick and bloody affair. I wiped out all 155 of your ants, but you did kill 21 of my wolves. Their sacrifice will be remembered! 8) I do think dead players should be able to view their event logs, no harm in that. I also think giving hunting players some kind of score bonus would be nice too- this brings my kill count to 3 (could of been 4, but I felt bad for Allister), and while it's fun, a score bonus could help promote this kind of activity since it's not really easy to hunt another species to death usually.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:11 pm

"No RIP bonus for killing off a species" was on the very first draft of the game which Al sent round to the Dev Team. So it's probably going to stay.

As I see it the logic goes something like this:
1) Players are probably going to take each other down anyway. They hardly seem to need any encouragement.
2) In the "real world" which (despite the conversation I had with Al 5 minutes ago) we do try to mimic in Species there is no bonus for making a species extinct. In fact it usually causes problems as you just removed one of your food sources.

Seeing your event log should be possible. We currently delete it when you go extinct but I don't see why we can't change that. *Adds it to list*

And as for people who die over night, we should have an option coming up to help you with that...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:23 pm

Don't eat the Blue Mule! His meat's all tough and gamy...he's been starving :cry: cuz he hasn't figured out how to play yet.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:59 pm

Why does the game say that the turns and etc.. are do in -minutes?
Negative minutes? :cry:

Next turn: In about -67 minutes :(
Next step: After turn #1480 - in about -57 minutes :(
Next cycle: After turn #1488 - in about 23 minutes :(

I think the thing is stuck and needs a kick in the butt. :lol:

Allister
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:07 pm

I was just going to post about this.
Somehow the orders table had become corrupt. I managed to fix it, and the game should proceed as normal now.

Mullog, on vacation but still present. :D
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:14 pm

Thankyou sir! Appreciate it.

Allister
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:51 pm

Well, there might be a bonus for killing of species if they stayed dead! When I killed off Korexus' jaguars, there were 21 species in the game. I have since killed off two more species, and a couple have starved- yet there are still 20 species left. My guess is since Kor told me players cannot re-signup after turn 1000, it's just new players popping up- I'd rather new player signup be closed at least at some point so I felt like I was accomplishing something. Not that it still isn't fun, of course, but just a thought.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:07 pm

I think that if Carnivore is ever expected to be valid Skill, new players are going to be necessary. This also got me thinking, maybe boosting Fertility or making it easier to get would be a good thing. It'd make your species harder to mantain while sitting in one square, and it would give more food to Omni/Carni players.... Just a though.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:33 pm

I got to the point where I am by boosting Fertility, but only once I knew there were enough BS2 squares in a certain range that I wouldn't go hungry. It means I gain less SP because I have to move around so much, but it also means I continue to have the top score and eat any species I can get my ah, paws on.

Speaking of which- there can be only one Alpha Male! There just wasn't room for more than one wolf pack, Mullog's freaky blue ones just had to go.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:14 pm

@Rune: negative time - easy pal, me thinks the US guys (where the server is) switched to summertime this weekend.... :P I was affraid it would kill the game, but apparently it hasnt.

@Donut: SYMBIOSIS will push your fertility if.... well you will see, its a nice one. 8) Talking on fertility, there is a clever trick to push it up - anyone (except chris and Rune) has found out yet maybe ?

Hey Rune was fixing something.... maybe it means more changes can be done during his holidays ? *drags out loooong list* :twisted:

Heard some good news from my boss today about WOK SP, Ill share them soon. Just take care that next beta will not be started before Rune gets back and had some time to work on the code again.

cheers everyone !

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:13 am

My guess it is something to do with indifference, would that be right? Or does anyone have a clue what indifference does?

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:56 am

gm_al wrote: Hey Rune was fixing something.... maybe it means more changes can be done during his holidays ? *drags out loooong list* :twisted:

Heard some good news from my boss today about WOK SP, Ill share them soon. Just take care that next beta will not be started before Rune gets back and had some time to work on the code again.

cheers everyone !
The fixing was done through a web interface to the species database. It was just a quick fix, two clicks and it was done.
I have no editing facilities here so I won't be able to do any changes to the game code.

What's the good news AL? Want to send me a mail and tell?

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:42 pm

Yummy, two for one! Any idea on the actual ending turn of this beta? 2000 perhaps? 8)

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:47 pm

keep it running until the 4th Beta is ready to go or 400 turns as was said initially

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:42 pm

There's not much point in carrying Everglades on any further. I suspect the balance problems which are coming up now are more to do with the number of players/plant distribution and so on so we're not likely to find much more to change. Even if we do, it's getting hard to be sure if it actually needs changing.
Even the Carnivore thing is uncertain really. In the game concept there are more players on a board so the current abumdance of plants is something which may not actually occur in the future. Running the next beta on an 8X8 board should help us see issues like that clearly.

That said, we won't be starting a new game until Rune gets back and can work on quite a long list of engine changes, so we may as well carry on with Everglades until that's ready, otherwise we'd all get bored! :P

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability