EVERGLADES JUST BANTER

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:42 am

Validon wrote:No worries korexus. I had a taste of jaguar and didn't like it. So I'm moving on to find some different species to eat. Maybe I'll go find those last two blue chickens and finish them off.
It didn't have anything to do with 2 species spying the crap out of your instinct did it? That had to hurt! :twisted:

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:11 pm

korexus wrote:One more time, just for people who are denser than average.

T h e r e . i s . n o t . a n . o v e r a b u n d a n c e . o f . p l a n t s...

[...]

Of course, this is not necessarily true...

LOL

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:12 pm

For anybody who's interested Dameon is in F7 and will be asleep for several more hours...so go there and spy him some more, so he'll instinct will be close to none. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:30 pm

Nick,
What were you doing sitting in a square with no plants? I don't think you hunted them all, because your Saturation wasn't high enough for that.(about 2600 when last I saw) I am sure you can find enough food near you but I hope that wasn't one of your BS2 squares. because it is empty now. and it was empty when I got there so don't blame me for eating it all. (or maybe you should, I don't remember)
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:55 pm

Ha, the spying did help my decision just a bit. I'm still trying to recover my instinct over that one. I think that I still could have stuck around and ate your species but it would have taken way too long to regain my instinct PLUS you were not the one I was looking for. But I might be back later. :wink:

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:59 pm

I don't sit in one place while I sleep, I have to keep moving to keep my pack fed. F7 was not empty the last time I came through, however, somebody who obviously doesn't believe in long-term planning came through and ate all the plants there. That's life- my issue is that I still lost a lot of instinct when I was sleeping. There really needs to be some kind of "hibernation" feature to make the game work, I think, because that just sucks. Either that, or your species should react to being spied, because I personally view that as an attack.

I also still think that not being able to hunt higher BS sizes is stupid, because Val was sitting in a BS 2 square and there was nothing I could do about it. I guess my 950 wolves were afraid of his 165 horses because the horses were a bit bigger, huh? That makes no sense. I hope this beta ends soon because I am getting pretty bored with it- CAN WE PLEASE SET AN END TURN? I don't want to simply ignore my species and let it die because I have put so much work into this game, but I'm heavily tired of playing now. I think part of the problem is all those species I hunted just came right back to life, what's the point?

I guess it doesn't matter anyway, because this coming weekend I am going to be away from my computer for long stretches (24+ hours) at a time, which means my species is automatically going to starve. It's a shame, but it just goes to argue more strongly for a "hibernation/vacation" feature to keep things fair. I'd like to request from either Chris or Al to remove my species from the game, in fact, because I'd rather have it removed in one fell swoop rather than slowly starve to death because I don't have time to sign on. Besides, I have double the score of anybody else, and I think that is unbalancing the game some; it'd be better overall if I could bow out now. Is that possible? Please?
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:55 pm

Sounds to me like you're afraid we'll come after you and you'll be ripped. :D

Leave him in...that will give us something to do...my penguins haven't walked half the board to get to Nick just to find that he's quit the game.

But i do agree with Nick...in the time someone spends sleeping or worse should someone be away from a computer for 1 or 2 days your species dies or is severely hurt.

I don't think there's anybody out there that will not at least have 1 day in those 30 days that a game is supposed to run that he can't give in orders...than all the work has been for nothing. :( :(
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:29 pm

I 100% agree with Dameon and Sal. I missed the first whole weekend of this game and really had a hard time recovering from it. I just recently got to the point where I didn't have to worry about my species dieing if I left it for a short time.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:35 pm

Saladin, I have three times the number of specimens of anybody else. When I die, it's not going to be because you RIPped me, it's going to be because I staved to death- I am going to lose about 30 specimens per step simply because I am going to be away from the computer, and over 24 hours, that's a whole lot. It's stupid- all this work, and now I get to watch my species starve? I am angry about the whole thing, and I simply wish to be removed from the game so I don't get any angrier. I think that the game should be stopped, but if not, I wish to be taken out of it so I don't have to watch all my hard work go into the trash simply because I have to leave for a few days.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:27 pm

Chow time! :toilet2:

Ah, the taste of revenge.

You'll die from being RIP'd if all 6 of us get in there and have a feast. Your species won't have time to starve.

:lol:
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:11 pm

Nick if we spy your instinct down to 1% we can take all the time in the world to eat you. :P

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:44 pm

I found those D A M N wolves :lol:
I'm hungry. :lol:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:53 pm

Where are they Allister? :D

Happy feeding. :P

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:15 am

They were n B-5, 3 turns ago (1939)but now he moved.
It wasn't North either.

Book-em Dano!

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:02 am

The nature of the game simply won't allow that to happen. Trying to coordinate such a massive undertaking would be difficult at best, considering I am moving every single turn I am not eating or buying instinct. You can try I guess, but by the time enough people made it to the square to make a serious difference, I will be gone. Also, I am going to make an effort to use spying to keep my instinct up now by spying the heck out of any species I find while I am at my computer. Yeah, the spying thing is obviously out of balance when spying isn't considered an attack, but since that's not going to be fixed until next beta, I don't mind exploiting it as much as y'all plan to.

In any case, I may be abandoning my wolves soon enough out of sheer boredom and frustration. :roll: There's too many balance issues floating around and I'm coming to the point where I am about ready to throw in the towel because I am simply not having fun anymore. All this is right now is a source of stress for me, as really we are gaining nothing new by Everglades continuing that I can see. I definetley am not going to sign up for any more games that don't have A) hibernation mode and B) a definite end turn, beta or not. For this game to be more fun than stressful both of those are really very necessary, and since they aren't coming in this beta, well- might be time to wrap it up.

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:41 pm

Why exactly is it stressful? Nothing hangs on the outcome of the game. We're only doing it for fun.

After I got my specimens up to 1100+ by exploiting a hole, I discovered that in order to keep them there I had to log in about every 4 hours. I took the rather simple decision of not doing so. If the strategy you've employed makes it impossible for you to keep all your specimens alive then don't It's not so hard really...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

GoatHerder
Recruit
Recruit

Post by GoatHerder » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:13 pm

[quote="Dameon"]In any case, I may be abandoning my wolves soon enough out of sheer boredom and frustration. :roll: There's too many balance issues floating around and I'm coming to the point where I am about ready to throw in the towel because I am simply not having fun anymore. [/quote]
Bored?
What if there were 3 or 4 others in the 1000-1500 score range competing with you for top dog. Would that make it more interesting?

....or are there just too few people in the game to pick on (interact with)?

... or is it the simple fact that once you get to Body Size 2, there is nothing more to aim for?

Do any other people feel bored/frustated - and do you have any ideas on how to fix it?

GoatHerder
Recruit
Recruit

Post by GoatHerder » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:28 pm

On re-reading my last message, it didn't seem to come out right. I wasn't picking on Dameon. I too feel that the early game is good, but it seems to be losing its way in the mid game and was wondering if other people feel the same way.. which leads me to worry about the end-game. No doubt not many people will be around to see the end-game ---- just the 2-3 players who want to chase VPs (ie. I'm talking about real games here rather than just test games).

I am wondering if some sort of extra incentives are needed for the mid to end-game stages. Haven't thought about it much yet. One positive would be more player interaction - except if a player gets killed ('cause then there'd be less players for player interaction).

Any thoughts?
Last edited by GoatHerder on Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:28 pm

I'd rather I didn't have to log more than once a day to stay alive. If you don't, your screwed.

BTW, thanks for chowing my stockpile Dameon.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

GoatHerder
Recruit
Recruit

Post by GoatHerder » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:35 pm

I agree with Taker.

If I happen to go away for a weekend or need to travel away with work - that's 2-3 days without any orders. The drop off in Instinct is very severe -- I'd probably be dead after that time.