EVERGLADES JUST BANTER

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:38 pm

Logging in so much is definately a hassle. I find myself getting up in the middle of the night to queue some orders and that really shouldn't be an issue. People will get tired of that quickly. A hibernation mode would be great BUT even in hibernation an animal can be attacked so I see where we could maybe hibernate and bank more turns(raise how many we can bank up to say 100) but while in hibernation if another species comes upon yours they can still attack and eat them. The behavior pattern would then kick in until you are safe again and can go back into hibernation. Otherwise, I think, a lot of people will play one or two games and that would be it. Just too much of a hassle to keep thier species alive and competitive.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:11 pm

Sorry Taker, but now you know how I feel. Also, you know how I feel when I run into Val, have more than twice his number of specimens, but can't eat him because he's a little bigger than me. He (and others) also keep eating all the plants (not that I blame them), so even when I do find a BS2 square, the stockpile of plants is gone quickly and I cannot do a thing about it. Out of the ten or so BS2 squares I have round, only like 2 have any plant left in them, which is a pain in the @ss considering the hassle it is to find any.

This game is getting boring, stupid, and pointless. I kill players, they come back to life. I find plants, they get devoured by everybody else. If I leave for any period of time, about a third of my specimens die. As Val says, it is too much of hassle to stay alive and competitive. I thought the dev team would understand this and end this beta (heck, even AL isn't playing), but I guess not. And Kor, my strategy was meant to have FUN. I grew up and hunted other players because it was a challenge. Sitting on my rear in one square eating plants and praying for more mutations is very boring after a point. It's already past turn 2000, this game should be over by now. It's time to stick a fork in it already! If the dev team hasn't ended this game in the next 24 hours I am simply just going to ignore my species and let it starve. Or, if other players find it, they can eat it. I really don't care anymore.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Sat Apr 10, 2004 5:51 pm

Undertaker wrote:BTW, thanks for chowing my stockpile Dameon.
Haha :lol:
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Dameon wrote:This game is getting boring, stupid, and pointless. I kill players, they come back to life. (...) It's time to stick a fork in it already! If the dev team hasn't ended this game in the next 24 hours I am simply just going to ignore my species and let it starve. Or, if other players find it, they can eat it. I really don't care anymore.
Do that! Let your species die! The test run has served its purpose, so there is no reason to continiue playing if you are bored. As I see it there are three reasons to keep the game running. The first is that I do not have any coding facilities here (still on vacation) and the game must be shut down manually. The second reason is that there are other players that are still playing (me included). And the third (and most important) is that as we let the game run, we continue to test the game engine. The engine has never been run for as long as this game has, and although the engine seems stable now (yay!), it needs to be tested further. As the game goes on with fewer species in it the game dynamics change. This is a new situation that we have not tested yet.
You may remember that the game stopped a few days ago. The problem was a corrupt data table. Luckily it was relatively easy to fix the problem manually (even while on vacation). If we had not run the game for as long as we did this problem would still be unknown. It is very possible that there are more problems waiting to be detected and therefore I want the game to keep running.
If you are bored, then quit. If you want to keep playing then do so. :) This is just a test after all, so what anyone do does not matter.

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:25 am

Good point. OK, I'm done playing and getting stressed with this beta. I look forward to hibernation and improved hunting/carnivore skills in the next one. :lol:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:30 am

Dameon you are the almighty crybaby. How many times is the world of kaomaris going to have to listen to your "I'm not playing until you do this" before you actually stand by what you say and STOP F.ING PLAYING, I know it will make my day, and everyone elses

Anyway the point is BETA DAMEON!!!! Nothing is perfect constructive comment not ultamatiums you high class knob

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:22 am

I have stopped playing, I am done logging in. I am sure my species will slowly die off over the next few days (or quickly, if somebody wants to eat me), and I don't care. I only play to have fun. This was fun, up until we ran into these serious balance/boredom issues in the mid to end game, which will be addressed next beta. When that happens, I'll play again. Pretty simple, huh?

GoatHerder
Recruit
Recruit

Post by GoatHerder » Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:45 pm

Dameon made a comment about heaps of people eating his size 2 plants. Up till now, I have been running around eating size 2 & 3 plants as well - even though I have only been size 1 (now I'm bigger). At one stage I was eating 1000+ plants a turn, just to deprive the big guys their food. When I think about it, I don't really think size 1 species should be able to eat out the bigger plants, just like we can't eat the bigger animals.

What do you think?

korexus

Post by korexus » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:19 pm

We're not really meant to be able to. At BS 2 I was finding that I could hunt BS 3 plants but gain no saturation from them. However if I tried to hunt BS 4 I gave up and banked a turn instead. Just another bug to add to the list I guess...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Sun Apr 11, 2004 10:18 pm

Wow, 8 squares later, I still haven't found any plants. That's what I get for having over 350 specimens, without enough food around.
pro libertate eos occubuisse - "they died for liberty"

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

23-year-old father of 3 - really needs a beer

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:30 am

No point in getting angry.... Rune is on vaction, I am gone for a few days too and busy for the rest of the week - we just let things run and you can keep playing around if you want to. By having the engine run for another week we get more data and may find more problems. Thats the point about it being beta.

The list of planned changes is getting quite long. So many little and not-that-little things that I can safely say the next beta will be quite a different experience.

Last point on hunting: the way its meant to be is that you CAN hunt bigger plants/species but will not gain any saturation out of it. This way you could still use it as a strategy to decimate the food basis or even the enemy itself.

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:36 am

No anger involved, I'm just realizing how difficult it would be to steamroll around with lots of specimens. It's very possible to sustain in one square when you're small, though.

You guys have prolly all figured this stuff out already, but I joined around turn 800, so I'm behind the power curve.

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:18 am

:D Yay! Brain Size 4! Ooh 7% instinct increase every time i buy instinct...that's nice. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

TBert
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TBert » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:08 am

::camera pans across a desert...a lone blue mule, stumbles up a dune::

dangnabbit...body...size...2...plants...i....give....up....

::as the mule crests the dune, he collapses and rolls down into a massive oasis of red BS 1 plants::

Now I get to stop starving!

Clan Head - Valn Ohtar

SGT - US Army