EVERGLADES: bugs and suggestions

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:21 pm

Well, that was interesting. I already had about 20 orders set in advance. Then I put in another order to spy a player "before order #2." It put it there, but then it took some of my other orders, and jumbled them up!!!! Uhhh, I think that's a bug.

Also, here's a suggestion: We now have 1 order that will take up 5 turns and give you 5% Instinct. That's nice, since you are using only 1 order to give commands for 5 turns (for example, you could have had 1 order saying that for 1 turn you get 1% Instinct, but it would have been much less efficient, since you would need 5 orders to get 5% Instinct). Why not have the same order for Hunt? 1 order which would say that you hunt 5x for 5 turns (you can still keep the 1 hunt/ 1 turn order). It would be very efficient, and you can use the 4 extra orders which you are saving for something else.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:38 pm

Egbert wrote:Also, here's a suggestion: We now have 1 order that will take up 5 turns and give you 5% Instinct.
5%? I'm only getting 4%, just checked the event log.
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:45 pm

Hint: Brain Power.

That's why we can't split it into several little orders. :)

~korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:28 pm

Hey, do I have a saturation limit? My turn result says that I got to 3543 (burp), and consumed 42. But the top of my page says I have a saturation of 3500. Is 3500 the max?

Edit: never mind, I am now at 3621 (must have been a rounding error). Gracious, I need to lose weight!
They can happen to you,

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:40 pm

Not sure if this is really a bug at all, just something I noticed today and thought I'd ask:

My turtles have been grazing away in the forest on some very abundant green plants. Those plants just increased in body size over the last cycle! Is this part of evil Al's plan to starve my innocent turtles? :P

Thank God they've grown some legs to hunt for some more food...
Never laugh at live dragons...

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:58 pm

The plan to change green plants from BS1 to BS2 has been in the works for a bit now, it seems like it was implemented last cycle. It's really necessary to be able to support BS3+, so yeah for that. It does suck you were eating all those green plants before they mutated, but that's part of being in a beta I guess. BTW, what square were those in exactly? 8)
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:58 pm

Strider wrote:Not sure if this is really a bug at all, just something I noticed today and thought I'd ask:

My turtles have been grazing away in the forest on some very abundant green plants. Those plants just increased in body size over the last cycle! Is this part of evil Al's plan to starve my innocent turtles? :P

Thank God they've grown some legs to hunt for some more food...
I was afraid that would happen. We increased the body size of green plants so that there would be more food in the map. I am sorry that you had to suffer, but that is the price of advancement I am afraid. :)

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:17 pm

Egbert wrote:Well, that was interesting. I already had about 20 orders set in advance. Then I put in another order to spy a player "before order #2." It put it there, but then it took some of my other orders, and jumbled them up!!!! Uhhh, I think that's a bug.
After deleting some orders I got the remaining orders in a strange sort. Seems some stuff inside the queue is messed up when deleting. I'm not sure what is the shortest way to reproduce the BUG, especially because I also tried to insert an order while the queue was full (so maybe it causes the BUG).

Hope you're not messing with the ID field when inserting/arranging orders in the queue and because of this the MAX_ID error in sp_orders appear sometimes. Or is this error also because of the same BUG mentioned above? :P
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary numbers and those who don't.

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:46 pm

Mullog wrote: I was afraid that would happen. We increased the body size of green plants so that there would be more food in the map. I am sorry that you had to suffer, but that is the price of advancement I am afraid. :)

Mullog
Next time please notify us before you make that change. I will starve shortly. I had 2600 plants at my disposal, now I have none. :( :x
"That's a good question. Let me see...In my case, you know, I hate to advocate drugs or liquor, violence, insanity to anyone. But in my case it's worked." Hunter S. Thompson

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:06 am

Ok, next time we make green plants BS 2, we'll tell you first. :P

By the way, did anyone get what Hamster just said? I have a passing familiarity with the game engine, but he seems to know it inside out already!

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:41 am

It would be nice if spying told you the plant size, not just color. If you can "see" what color it is you should be able to see the size as well.

Or I could be off target and color determines size.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:39 am

Color does determine size. White, yellow, and red are size 1. Green and blue are size 2. Grey is 3, and black is 4. These, and other things are all covered in a player's manual I have written with help from Kor and Mullog that is currently pending final review by Al- I imagine it will be out shortly. Oh, and if you want to message to me in game where those green plants are, I am sitting on a square of 4000+ red plants that I wouldn't mind exchanging with you if you are at all reasonably close- that offer goes out to everybody who was on a green plant square, btw. 8) Note I will only agree to move if the green square is CLOSE to me, so I can't promise anything.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mullog » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:58 am

Hamster wrote:
Egbert wrote:Well, that was interesting. I already had about 20 orders set in advance. Then I put in another order to spy a player "before order #2." It put it there, but then it took some of my other orders, and jumbled them up!!!! Uhhh, I think that's a bug.
After deleting some orders I got the remaining orders in a strange sort. Seems some stuff inside the queue is messed up when deleting. I'm not sure what is the shortest way to reproduce the BUG, especially because I also tried to insert an order while the queue was full (so maybe it causes the BUG).

Hope you're not messing with the ID field when inserting/arranging orders in the queue and because of this the MAX_ID error in sp_orders appear sometimes. Or is this error also because of the same BUG mentioned above? :P
WARNING! TECHNICAL DETAILS! 8)

The last version of the Order Queue did this. I changed the ID's of the orders to make room for the newly inserted orders, but this made the auto_increment field to go mad.
So I had to change my strategy. Now if an order is to be inserted in the middle of the OQ, the order is first placed at the end of the OQ, then the existing orders are copied so that they are behind the new orders, and finally the old copies of the existing orders are deleted. This way I can use the auto_increment all the time, and the database operation is actually much faster. The rearranged orders were a result of me forgetting to tell the database to copy the orders in the same order they were inserted... In most cases that would be the normal behaviour, but there is no guarantee for that.

What I would like to do is to have the OQ to be a linked list, with each order knowing which order is the next one in the queue. That way it would be trivial to update the queue. Unfortunately, linked lists are not easy to implement in a database. Hamster, do you have any suggestions to how I could do that?

END OF TECHNICAL DETAILS

The bug should be fixed now. :)

Mullog

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:52 am

There are many techniques. I'll explain 2 easy ones that fell on my mind for now:

1) Linked list
Add 1 field that contains ID of next order (next_order_ID). When inserting an order you should have "insert after order X" and then update the next_order_ID of the order X to the new one and the old value copy in the new order. This transaction should be as follows:
- insert of new order (all data except next_order_ID) and remember it's ID
- select of order X (read its next_order_ID)
- update next_order_ID of order X
- update next_order_ID of new order
A little problem arises when displaying the OQ. OQ should be selected for a specific user and then it should be reconstructed from the resultset (faster than 30 or more single record selects).

2) Order# field (seems easier to implement)
Add 1 field that contains the order # (order_num). When you insert an order, increase this data by 1 in the orders that follow. This transaction should be as follows (X is the arder before you try to insert the new one):
- update order_num with order_num + 1 where order_num >= X
- insert the new order woth it's order_num = X
OQ should be selected with ORDER BY order_num. When an order is deleted from the queue, all values could be decreased by 1 (not necessary).

Both techniques should be faster than the new one. 1st has less rows affected, but a little complicated.

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mullog » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:56 am

Hamster wrote:There are many techniques. I'll explain 2 easy ones that fell on my mind for now:

1) Linked list
Add 1 field that contains ID of next order (next_order_ID). When inserting an order you should have "insert after order X" and then update the next_order_ID of the order X to the new one and the old value copy in the new order. This transaction should be as follows:
- insert of new order (all data except next_order_ID) and remember it's ID
- select of order X (read its next_order_ID)
- update next_order_ID of order X
- update next_order_ID of new order
A little problem arises when displaying the OQ. OQ should be selected for a specific user and then it should be reconstructed from the resultset (faster than 30 or more single record selects).

2) Order# field (seems easier to implement)
Add 1 field that contains the order # (order_num). When you insert an order, increase this data by 1 in the orders that follow. This transaction should be as follows (X is the arder before you try to insert the new one):
- update order_num with order_num + 1 where order_num >= X
- insert the new order woth it's order_num = X
OQ should be selected with ORDER BY order_num. When an order is deleted from the queue, all values could be decreased by 1 (not necessary).

Both techniques should be faster than the new one. 1st has less rows affected, but a little complicated.
Thanks for your suggestions! :)
#2 is what I did for my first attempt. More or less. All players and all games share the same order table so there may be orders after the ones we want to move, so adding 1 is not enough, I must add the difference between the first order id and the max order id. By setting the order id manually, the auto_increment got confused and stopped working properly, making the order id's grow too fast.
The new version is essentially the same, only that I use the auto_increment to get the new order id's as well. I really want to use the auto_increment instead of running a MAX() query each time an order is inserted, so that is why I choose this apporach.

#1 is what I really want. The problem with it is that it must be sorted manually after fetching the orders. I think. Is there a good way to sort the list without doing it manually? By sorting the list manually we will introduse a quite large extra load on the server, and we are already pushing it too hard I think...

But thanks for your suggestions! It is obvious that you know what you are talking about :D

Mullog

Hamster
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Hamster » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:52 pm

As you can see, both my sugestions are based on a separate field. This way you don't have to mess up with the PK ID and it's autoincrement routine.

If you look on the performance you get this:

- my #1 - 1 insert row + 1 select row + 2 update rows + problem of displaying which uses some time

- my #2 - 1 insert row + statistically aprox. O/2 (where O = max queue depth and in the case all users use it always full, but we can halve it once more) + a simple select for displaying

- your new solution - 1 insert + aprox O/2 deletes + aprox O/2 inserts (may be used O/4 as in previous example) + a simple select for displaying

insert cost most, update a little, delete depends on DB system (but you can use a mid value), so calc yourself

P.S. Software optimization (both code and DB) is something I'm most interested in programming :lol:

Undertaker
Commander
Commander

Post by Undertaker » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:10 pm

Dameon wrote:Color does determine size. White, yellow, and red are size 1. Green and blue are size 2. Grey is 3, and black is 4. These, and other things are all covered in a player's manual I have written with help from Kor and Mullog that is currently pending final review by Al- I imagine it will be out shortly. Oh, and if you want to message to me in game where those green plants are, I am sitting on a square of 4000+ red plants that I wouldn't mind exchanging with you if you are at all reasonably close- that offer goes out to everybody who was on a green plant square, btw. 8) Note I will only agree to move if the green square is CLOSE to me, so I can't promise anything.
Check you event log for a message from me

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:23 pm

I got a suggestion. I just logged in to find that my species is extinct, although I have no idea why. Since I had plenty of sat lvl last time I logged in, I'm pretty sure someone came along and ate me, but it would still be nice to know how it happened.

Can you add a blurb on to the extinction notice on how it occurred? Or allow the player to look at his event log?

The turtles will be avenged....
Never laugh at live dragons...

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:31 pm

:o Hi Strider. I witnessed the whole ugly incident (except the finale, since I was going to be dessert). Check out the thread on Everglades Banter (the Monkey did it!).
They can happen to you,

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:46 pm

No i didn't!

It was those ugly Monkeys from Havenoballs!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."