°° AMAZONAS (beta jungle) °° Bugs and suggestions

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:02 pm

Yes I am not sure what is up with Fertility either- I have a rating of 36%, according to my event logs, but in my player data is says 32%, with no explanation as to why this might be in the event logs.

Also I am not sure if there is supposed to be a direct correlation between fertility percent and the number of new species you get Sal- I got 30 new species, and my fertility is either 32% or 36% (depending on if you believe the log or the data table).
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:09 pm

I'm pretty sure fertility goes down every cycle (kinda like instinct goes down every step). I lost 4% fertility, too.
Never laugh at live dragons...

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:15 pm

Yes I confirm fertility dropping every cycle. Its just not written in the events, but will be with the next cycle.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:16 pm

"Your population grows from 100 to 135 specimens as a result of birth and death."

Emphasis on Death

"Your species lose 5%% fertility. It now has 33%% fertility"

I have a feeling it is due to either nutrition, Instinct, or brain power or... The list could go on, only time will tell.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:23 pm

Mullog wrote:
Egbert wrote:I hunted someone, and the person wasn't in my square, and it took 1 turn. However, I then got it back and had it banked. Why wouldn't I just lose the 1 turn I spent hunting someone? If I don't lose the turn, I would hunt someone every other turn, since it doesn't cost me anything.

It would also be nice if I could bookmark the main game page, or that it at least remembered my password (like the WOK messageboard), so I don't have to look it up each time.
There is a max for how many turns you can bank, and if you want to save a turn, why not select BANK TURNS instead of selecting hunt?

On my computer the kaobase password is remembered so that each time I log in I only have to type my user name and the password is inserted automatically.

Soon I am going to add some features to the kaobase. The first will be to allow changing passwords and to add a "remember me" function.

Mullog
I don't want to just save a turn, that's not the point. I can hunt someone for free --- that's the point. I can hunt someone, and if they're not there, it doesn't cost me anything. See?

As for the password, my computer also remembers passwords for me, but for some reason, it is not doing it with this kaobase2. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:20 pm

Well "doesnt cost me anything" isnt really correct... its an invalid order, and therefore the engine picks your default order. It means you will not be able to do anything else then your default order.

Granted it means a free "lets see if the guy is here" order, but only if you didnt max out the banked Turns and Skill points....

Invalid orders can happen in lots of situations, and the engine tries to not make you lose turns for it.

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:05 pm

Well, I had a look at the new high score and I noticed something really odd (or maybe it just seems a bit odd to me and is in fact how it is supposed to be).

I convinced my little brother to sign up ("Andy's white lion"), but he basically gave up straight away.
Anyway, he joined on about turn 80 and has not issued any orders, but still he is third on the scoreboard.

??????

The only thing he has that is above average is Instinct; does that really contribute that much towards score?

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:11 pm

Raw also just recently joined, and his score is one of the highest.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:16 pm

Thats because they joined right before the cycle.... they still have full starting instinct and fertility too etc.

A new hiscore formula is currently under evaluation.

Nevertheless the scores will quickly start to reflect the real situation - a difference of just a few points isnt saying much yet.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:55 pm

I was thinking and i think it would be a good improvement for the game if you could split your species in to multiple groups.

So i've you've got 200 speciments, you could make two groups of a 100. And then move them seperately. Of course all the changes you make to the species still apply to all of them, but it would be a good improvement in the battle for domination.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:55 pm

If the score is calculated at all like WOK 4 or WOK 5, then the Instinct percentage will be multiplied against your base score (as EFF is in WOK 4/5). My guess is that most players now don't have 95%+ instinct necessarily as players who joined late would.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:46 am

One more typo I found:

When spying an empty square, the even log reports that is is inhabited by "Nodoby".

I'm glad Mushmouth (Fat Albert?) was able to help out with the coding. :)
Never laugh at live dragons...

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:40 am

I still think instinct is too expensive- gaining instinct by spying is even slower than buying it, so that's no help. I know instinct is important because I have seen my attack and defense drop when it has been lower.

I think to increase the dynamic nature of the game it could be good to either increase the instinct bonus you get from spying, and also provide more saturation from hunting. As GH pointed out in another thread, he didn't gain much saturation at all from hunting another species as compared to hunting plant, so what's the motivation really? Increasing the saturation from hunting meat would help make the game more dynamic, I think.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:14 am

I think that the reason that hunting "Meat" isn't beneficial is because plants don't have much for Defense, while a player will. The plants aren't going to fight back so you will have much more success hunting it. Other species however will fight back so it'd be harder to gain meat from them. I think that it would be reasonable for meat to be more nourishing (That's a toss up, I'm not saying change it), but I'm sure that as soon as you raise you PATT a little, you will have much more success hunting other players.

Donut[/list]
The scars remind us that the past is real.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:32 am

@Saladin: definitely NO, no splitting of your species.

@Nick on instinct: we are monitoring things. Right now I see no need to change the values. Now maybe you didnt find out everything when it comes to spying.... and of course everyone has to keep up the instinct, thats not an isolated problem only one player has.

@Donut and meat saturation: you aint seen it all - you might be in for some surprises, lets see if Saladin can give you some hints....

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:55 am

Is there any change a legless spider could attack and kill a scorpion with body size 2? :twisted:
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:24 am

eeeeemmmmm, not sure what happened. I had 9 turns banked and tried to move north with banked turns help at an expense of 13 turns, waited for the 1/4 hour mark and refreshed only to see "Doing order MOVE NORTH (1/13)"

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:32 am

Yep, definately not letting me use Banked turns to move, just doing it turn by turn

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:02 am

It will only use banked turns to complete the required order

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:15 am

Yes, X-Wing. I had already stated that banked Turns are only used at the LAST possible moment, to COMPLETE the order.

Other news: after much thought we might increase the instinct% gain when you do some successful spying. I still need to monitor it for a while though (and most Players manage to keep a quite good instinct% I might add) but Ill keep you posted.