°° AMAZONAS (beta jungle) °° Bugs and suggestions

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:49 am

Just logged on this morning and looking through my event and not sure if these are bugs or I misunderstood the rules.

1. Turn 0 I bought 3 skills points, I thought only 1 per turn, (unless I used banked turns)
2. Turn 3. Not sure what this means
"You with your brain power (1) you cannot store more than 20 turns.
Performing default order: You buy 1 skill point. Your species now has 7 skill points."
3. Turn 7. "Your species regain 4% instinct. You now have 101% instinct." Surely 100% should be the highest?
4. By turn 11 "Your instinct drops by 1% to reach 1%" which couldnt be right

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:10 am

Lowebb wrote:Just logged on this morning and looking through my event and not sure if these are bugs or I misunderstood the rules.

1. Turn 0 I bought 3 skills points, I thought only 1 per turn, (unless I used banked turns)
2. Turn 3. Not sure what this means
"You with your brain power (1) you cannot store more than 20 turns.
Performing default order: You buy 1 skill point. Your species now has 7 skill points."
3. Turn 7. "Your species regain 4% instinct. You now have 101% instinct." Surely 100% should be the highest?
4. By turn 11 "Your instinct drops by 1% to reach 1%" which couldnt be right
1. We had some starting problems and had to rerun turn 0 several times. That is why you got 3 SP.

2. That was a typo, it should (will) read something like "With your brain power of 1 you can only store 20 turns".

3. & 4. There is now a max of 99% instinct. I had forgotten to add this, and when I did add it, I made a mistake resulting in your 1%. To be fair with you, I have hanged it to the games average of 83%. This problem should not bother us anymore!

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:32 am

That took about 15 minutes, won't be long til this game is bug free :luxhello:

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:31 am

It seems we are experiencing peaks of high traffic and server hiccups, sometimes causing the site or game to not being accessible.

It will take some time to optimise the new game and the new KaoBase, and we might even be in need to do some server upgrades. Switching to a faster and more dedicated server is also a possibility, but this can quickly get expensive.

Other discussion I want you to take part of is HiScore. Currently its calculated with every new CYCLE (every 24 hours/96 turns). HiScore determines the OoP, so we chose a rather long interval to allow for careful planning of your OQ orders. We realise however this may be too long, so let us hear your opinions on this please.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:36 am

A small point of improvement (not very important though).

Could the orders you put in be numbered, so it's easier to know how many orders you've put in? :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:40 am

Yes, I think this was planned anyways. We should also have a "replace order" option so that you can use a new order to replace an exisiting one even in the middle of the OQ.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:29 pm

Is it possible to make it a little easier to buy instinct? As you seem to lose 1% per hour, that means if you spend, say, 20 turns buying instinct your net gain is only 15%. I have tried spying with no instinct gain, and if it is like EFF in WOK (which it seems to be) it's a critical thing you really shouldn't let drop too low, which means you should focus on keeping it up. It just seems to take a little too long to buy it at the current rate, IMO.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:18 pm

Body Size and Brain Power mutations are slightly cheaper now, to increase the interest in getting them.

Nick, you might want to consider "alternative" ways to gain instinct back.... also right now 5 Turns bring you back 4% instinct, that seems just about right. "Critical" is quite relative when it comes to instinct.... we shall see.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:55 pm

Speaking of alternative ways to increase instinct.........

You spied XXXX, and learned the following about square XX:
Terrain: desert. Plant: GREEN
Inhabited by: #10 Donut´s Black Scorpion
You gained 1 instinct!

Hi neighbor! :twisted:
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:32 pm

HEHE, Smashy's in B6. Eat him first :D

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:36 pm

Al,
Is it possible to have some things happen at 6 hour and 12 hour intervals.
say Hi-Score at 6 hours and maybe have mutations every 12 hours then every day is when you breed?

Something along those lines anyway.

As it is it makes it kinda boring waiting for that 24 hour period to happen and then everything will happen at once and some people might not be ready for too much at one time.

Just a sugestion to kind of spread out some of the events that are due to happen now in about an hour and a half. you guys would know better, how to maybe spread those things out.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:49 pm

Good idea UD. I thought about this. I especially like switching the HiScore to keep it more up to the hour or so. But Al says (I'm not sure I believe him :P ) that the OoP will switch with the HiScore... so, I think that 12 hours would be a good number for updating the hiscore and OoP. It would also make sense to have the mutations there. Maybe it's just that I'm over-anxious to get myself a leg or an arm, but I've got the points and want to be able to Stab Smashy (And now Eggy).

Donut

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:07 pm

Hmmm... I think I found another bug Rune. Maybe you can fix this one... I'm stupid :roll: . I had 4/5 turns of buy instinct done and put in an order to spy. Then I deleted the order above it (BUY_INSTINCT) Thinking there was another one after my 4/5ths completed one. I lost those 4 turns. Maybe you could make it so that those turns are banked so stupid people like me (I know theres a couple out there) don't keep losing turns.

Donut

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:17 pm

I agree with Underdog and Donut, there should be more than one oppertunity to mutate than once every 24h. This wouldn't necessarily mean that one could mutate more often overall (since getting the skill points still takes quite a while).

On a different issue, I noticed that I get logged out from the game/Kaobase after only a few minutes. Would it be possible to extend the time before one is automatically logged out?

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:27 pm

It's ahrd to know for sure the timing of things from my perspective since I don't know what's going to happen at the end of a cycle. But, I think that some events could be spread out. It gets a little old banking turns and buying skill points for 24 hours.

I definitely think that the high score should be updated more than once a day. Otherwise, I forsee people banking up points and such for the cycle change and then taking advantage of the OOP for 24 hours.
Never laugh at live dragons...

Strider
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Strider » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:24 pm

Found another possible bug. I did a successful spy op on someone in my square.

Here's my event log:
93 You spied on #37 Allister´s Blue Chicken and was successful!
The results can be found by clicking here
You gained 1% instinct, you now have 89% instinct!
92 Doing order SPY 37 (1/2)
91 Your instinct drops by 1% to reach 97%

As you can see, my instinct dropped 9% before the attack for no reason. I only have one person near me, so I don;t think it's due to spy ops against me.

**UPDATE: I think it just may be a typo on the even log, my main screen says I have 98% instinct.**
Never laugh at live dragons...

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:39 pm

Ill try to answer a few questions and respond to suggestions.

1. deleting an ongoing order will always result in losing the Turns used for it so far. This will not change, as it requires you to do more careful planning. Sorry.
2. we look to allow mutations every 48 Turns (12 hours) and I think the same makes sense for Hiscore too, yes. Everything shorter would definitely foil a carefully planned OQ though.
3. the instinct% is an "easy" bug, Strider. If you look at your stats you will see you still had 97% instinct. It just displayed the instinct of the TARGET (Allister) instead of yours in the events log.... this shall be fixed ! :P

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:40 pm

I hunted someone, and the person wasn't in my square, and it took 1 turn. However, I then got it back and had it banked. Why wouldn't I just lose the 1 turn I spent hunting someone? If I don't lose the turn, I would hunt someone every other turn, since it doesn't cost me anything.

It would also be nice if I could bookmark the main game page, or that it at least remembered my password (like the WOK messageboard), so I don't have to look it up each time.
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Mullog
Veteran
Veteran
Location: Aalesund, Norway (freezing!). Member of the Vulkings

Post by Mullog » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:52 pm

Egbert wrote:I hunted someone, and the person wasn't in my square, and it took 1 turn. However, I then got it back and had it banked. Why wouldn't I just lose the 1 turn I spent hunting someone? If I don't lose the turn, I would hunt someone every other turn, since it doesn't cost me anything.

It would also be nice if I could bookmark the main game page, or that it at least remembered my password (like the WOK messageboard), so I don't have to look it up each time.
There is a max for how many turns you can bank, and if you want to save a turn, why not select BANK TURNS instead of selecting hunt?

On my computer the kaobase password is remembered so that each time I log in I only have to type my user name and the password is inserted automatically.

Soon I am going to add some features to the kaobase. The first will be to allow changing passwords and to add a "remember me" function.

Mullog
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:53 pm

In the events lists it says: your species regain 1% fertility. You now have 41% fertility.

But on my page it says my fertility is only 37%?

Any idea why?

I also only got 37 new species instead of 41. :(
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."