°° AMAZONAS (beta jungle) °° Things I found out

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:28 am

[glow=red]The First RIP is Mine!!!![/glow]

Beastmaster's white yetis fell before the might of my black bats. For those that are interested in such things, I hunted exactly 28 per turn, except the last when there were only 15 left. He did nothing in return! :D :twisted:

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:44 am

Hannibal wrote:I didn't know there were bananas that HAD one hand......still, in this game......watch out for the one-armed blue bananas, I guess.....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

LMAO

Ahhhh, that was hilarious.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Allister Fiend
Commander
Commander

Post by Allister Fiend » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:05 am

Looks like you only( :? ) consume food once every hour, or 24 times per day.
Oh no!!! I'm out of those important papers.......

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:30 am

I would say that he probably had his "adapt" behaviour on. If he had flee he probably would have run away, continue orders would have caused no reaction, and if he had react he would have ??? Maybe hunted you back?. Incidentally, I notice you can only change your behaviour sometimes, not always- why is this?
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:17 am

FYI: Can't move to water without swim ability.

Donut

P.S. - YES I ASSUMED THAT WAS THE CASE, but I wanted to make sure of it :P

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:22 am

:P

You may have noticed that some behaviours are not activated from the beginning, but rather require you to have acquired some skills or mutations....

A quick word of fair warning before the discussion arises: yes, in the early phase of the game you may get killed rather quickly, especially by what I call "quick omnivores". Take precautions. And start over with your species again if it gets killed fast - not much lost so far.

PS: Ill have to check with Rune on how to "reset" a species will work in practice. We are also working on a few new skills and options, stay tuned.

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:32 pm

What I have learned. Korexus is a git :) , when attacked you don't appear to fight back rather you just die and even when you're dead your orders carry on.
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:45 pm

I find it very odd that you don't fight back when you're attacked...this way there isn't any deterent for any player not to attack a stronger player.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:09 pm

There is the possibilty to fight back in the game.... :roll:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:20 pm

I would think react would be for that...but we can't use it yet. :(
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

korexus

Post by korexus » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:05 pm

I can use it now. But then I can attack people too.

Lardmaster, you were eating my plants, you had to be stopped! :P

If it's any consolation, you messed me up a bit too! I moved into the next square and the saw that there was still a question mark on the previous one. So I spied it to see if anyone had moved in. It counted as empty and I lost 4% EFF. Maybe we shouldn't place question marks for dead species. Maybe we should remove dead species...

Oh and by the way folks, hunting people does not seem a very efficient way to get food. I was getting 28/turn from Lardmaster and eating an average of 19/turn so I had to hunt 3 times per step just to stay level. Also it decimates your food supply pretty quickly. :?

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:06 pm

korexus wrote:Maybe we should remove dead species...
Yes. Definitely.

And you shouldnt be able to reincarnate your species either.

korexus wrote:Oh and by the way folks, hunting people does not seem a very efficient way to get food. I was getting 28/turn from Lardmaster and eating an average of 19/turn so I had to hunt 3 times per step just to stay level.
You should get their saturation if you kill them. That makes it worthwhile (which at the moment, it simply isnt).

TK

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:13 pm

TK try to remember that Korexus is on the dev team... he was giving you a HINT really.

There are other ways to increase food return from player species, maybe you will survive long enough to see them. :wink:

Players not respawning when death ? I would agree to remove them. but why shouldnt someone be allowed to restart into the game (from scratch of course) ?

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:13 pm

Speak for yourselves, at least Sal was nice enough to let me live. It seems that the people who get omnivore quickly have too much of an advantage as those without it have no way to defend themselves. I am wondering if the attack is too powerfull against players early because it only took Sal about 4-5 turns to almost completely kill me. :?

Donut

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:19 pm

Dont drag the discussion into this direction.... DONT.

* small critters early on are at a risk getting ganged up, yes. THIS WILL NOT CHANGE.
* cant protect you ? Try to think, and then think again.
* Id check my area and get info from my clanmates/neighbors and then would act accordingly.... no ?
* getting omnivore costs 80 Turns. Its certainly an aggressive early move, but will it always be the best way to start into the game ? who knows....

Hannibal
Commander
Commander
Location: London and The Vulkings Clan.............(started in Valn Ohtar, then jointly founded The Vulkings)

Post by Hannibal » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:44 pm

Thanks, Donut :D - that's what I CALL audience appreciation :!: (about 10 posts up). I'm surprised ANYBODY got it, cos it's separated from the post it refers to. I blew the delivery; I should've used "quote":

Egbert wrote:My defense stayed the same, but my attack went from 0-16 to 1-18.

How do you peel a banana with 1 hand?
- I didn't know there WERE bananas that had one hand.........still, in this game, anything's possible.............watch out for the one-armed blue bananas, I guess...........
There are two ways to write: Short-hand, and Long-Han'ed. ~ Han

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs"......... it's probably just that you're the last person to appreciate the enormity of the catastrophe about to

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:53 pm

gm_al wrote:TK try to remember that Korexus is on the dev team... he was giving you a HINT really.

There are other ways to increase food return from player species, maybe you will survive long enough to see them. :wink:
I know the skill you are talking about Al, and we will see if that changes things. However, I think it simply costs WAY too much to go omnivore, get the "other skill" ( :wink: ), move around looking for enemies, keeping your instinct up, etc, just for the sake of a little extra food.

Right now it is possible to let the corn (plants) in a province (square) grow for a couple of turns (cycles) and then BAM, its enough to sustain your species forever. Why does anyone NEED to go out attacking? Why will they EVER need to? :roll:

gm_al wrote:Players not respawning when death ? I would agree to remove them. but why shouldnt someone be allowed to restart into the game (from scratch of course) ?
Errrm, they *died*. Death is the end!!

And I agree with Donut. If you are not omnivore, there is NO "strategy" to defend yourself if an omnivore attacks you. You say "think, and think again". We have. Three of us are thinking about this all day, every day. But it speaks volumes when a member of the dev team goes omnivore immediately and RIPs someone in about an hour!

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:36 pm

Mark the date, because I agree with 100% of what TK says in his last post.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:23 pm

Lovely, lovely.... :P A day of beta-testing and the players already know every possible scenario.
.... just for the sake of a little extra food.
Little extra ? How do you know ? You might be in for some surprises. And that little extra might come in handy in case all plants have been eaten up, no ? :roll:
Why does anyone NEED to go out attacking? Why will they EVER need to?
They dont necessarily need to, in fact a herbivore COULD also win the game - whats wrong with that ? But maybe, just maybe, the small ones will gang up on the hiscore leader, dont you think ? :roll:
If you are not omnivore, there is NO "strategy" to defend yourself if an omnivore attacks you. You say "think, and think again". We have. Three of us are thinking about this all day, every day. But it speaks volumes when a member of the dev team goes omnivore immediately and RIPs someone in about an hour!
Bad mood today, TK ?? I know at least TWO strategies to avoid my ennemies early on. One has already been stated by GH, check the threads. Bank 14 Turns and you will be safe for few hours extra.... (and I wont mention the other strategy)

How about... constructive criticism ? new strategies to share ? :twisted:

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:30 pm

hmm i am ranked #3 i am not a omnivore... also i can think of some good strategies also on how to be safe from attackers. i am a member of the dev team so is al, neither of us are omnivores.. saladin isn't on the dev team he is an omnivore... i see no connection TK
God of WOK