** WOK SP BETA test to start this weekend ! **

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

** WOK SP BETA test to start this weekend ! **

Post by gm_al » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:51 am

What a wokerful world.... :P

Im here to announce that official beta mass-testing should kick off this weekend with the AMAZONAS jungle. We will use an early version of the new KaoBase V2 for signup and login, and the latest WOK SP engine that will include the full game. The engine is still missing a few features and feedback to the Players might need some improvements, but we're set to kick off the latest WOK game with pride.

There will be a signup link from the main WOK SP info page before the weekend, which will allow you to setup your own species and play around with it. We will also announce the official kickoff time for the game, possibly Saturday evening or Sunday evening (CET). Dont worry if you cant be online when Turn#1 sets in, the Order Queue (OQ) allows you to store lots of orders in advance.

The beta game will be run under "real" default settings, which means a 10x10 grid and a lenght of 4000 Turns. A new Turn will be run every 15 minutes. One species per Player. You may still sign up after the game has started, as long as we look to fill up the 50 spots.

I cant say if we wil be able to fully finish the first game, and maybe we will have to do some tough adjustments during the tests. Im not worried about actual balancing, we did enough testruns on that. Its more that the interaction of 50 Players at once can cause unpredictable bugs and problems. Please remember at any time that this will be a BETA test, so dont start whining if all of a sudden we have to kick your species out of the jungle or reset the game. :P

We will need up to 50 Players, so PLEASE tell your friends about the game once the login gets activated. We will also put several threads in this forum to discuss all aspects of the game. Im also planning to have at least a weekly "chat with the devs" time where Players can meet us all in the WOK chatroom and talk about everything. First one of those could be 1-2 days after game has kicked off. We will also soon have a few developers for the mobile version joining us, lets see how things go.

I am very proud on what we have achieved so far with WOK SP. Not only is it a step into the future of browser-based gaming, its also innovative and challenging in many ways while always maintaining that WOK "feel" when you play it. Get ready for something special - WOK SP's AMAZONAS jungle is coming to your home....

Temujin
Recruit
Recruit

WOKSP main info page

Post by Temujin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:58 pm

Where is the main info page?

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:59 pm

http://www.kaomaris.com/wok_species.htm

There is no sign up link there as of yet so far- also I would like to suggest changing the WOK: SP banner destination to the main Species page instead of the Kaomaris homepage, as well as adding a WOK: SP link somewhere in the toolbar.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:17 am

We are getting ready to kick off the beta, here is a nice little screenshot of how a GM will be able to setup his game.

Ill be updating and calling for signups very soon, stay tuned !

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:29 am

Its here !!

After weeks of exhaustive work I am proud to open up the first WOK SP beta game ! Three thumbs up again for Rune for making it all possible.

Please pick the WOK SPECIES page link from the menu bar or go to

http://www.kaomaris.com/wok_species.htm

steps to follow:
1. sign up for new KaoBase V2 (beta)
2. login with username and pw (watch out that pw is sent with a "." at the end, enter it without the point)
3. click on the "join AMAZONAS" game link

From there on its all about posting and giving feedback, so WE COUNT ON YOU !

Take note: we are at a VERY EARLY stage to make it all happen. Please dont claim things like "this link doesnt lead anywhere" or "the title of the page is wrong".... also we may experience unpredictable server hiccups and bugs, so BARE WITH US. Its all beta, keep that in mind - we had to work overtime for the last weeks to make it happen this fast.

And now go and enjoy the new WOK breed !!

PS: Kaomaris is now a registered brand name. :P I had to dig deep in my pockets for that, but really didnt have much choice in order to get the name "Kaomaris" on the mobile version of WOK SP too.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:53 pm

gm_al wrote:Please dont claim things like "this link doesnt lead anywhere" or "the title of the page is wrong"
Are you saying that you don't want players to point out things that may need fixing? Or simply that you already have a lot of things on the list to be worked through?

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:55 pm

gm_al wrote:Kaomaris is now a registered brand name. :P I had to dig deep in my pockets for that, but really didnt have much choice in order to get the name "Kaomaris" on the mobile version of WOK SP too.
I'm still not expecting to have anything on WOK:MW ready for testing until late in the year ... does the registered brand name change anything for me developing something with teh WOK name on it?

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:33 pm

In theory yes. In practice I have nothing against a Bryk game using the name of course !

Im basically making sure I can use the name for any variation of existing and future WOK games (ie. WOK SP mobile)

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:40 pm

Things are set now, improvements made. Once the game kicks off Id like you to give us hints on the feedback you are missing from your events log (and why). Keep reporting any (possible) bugs you witness.

The core dev team should be in the main WOK chat room tonight during the first few Turns to support you and help you with all your questions. Please join us there then.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:24 pm

I'm in the chat room now. Should be in there for the better part of the day... I too am pretty bored and I don't want to start doing homework yet. There's also a lot of basketball to watch today... STOOPID ZAGS!!!

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.