The curtain is put back....

News, discussions and gossip around WOK SPECIES.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

gm_al
Creator
Creator

The curtain is put back....

Post by gm_al » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:30 pm

.... time to reveal you the basics of the game !!

Im very happy to report that we are about to kick off our test jungle (TJ) this week. The TJ will hopefully help us find a few tweaks and bugs as well as balance the game out before we go live soon.

Here it is, the link you have been waiting for:
http://www.kaomaris.com/wok_species.htm

A few additions:
- yes, WOK SP looks to be integrated into the current VP system somehow. Possibly also into the rating scheme. Anyone willing to discuss this is kindly asked to open a new thread for it.
- the Dev team will NOT participate in any jungle opening up within at least a month of release. We will also not reveal anything here on the boards. This should give everyone interested time to accomodate to the game and learn how it works. As soon as we feel we dont have any unfair advantage we will join new jungles when they open up
- due to expected heavy traffic we will strictly limit the number of available games and access to it. While a GM is not necessarily needed we wish to keep this as a GM-ed game, but with the GM more being a reporter and moderator
- it is my belief and wish that the knowledge you gain by playing WOK SP doesnt get used only clan-wise. WOK SP is a race to have the TOP-rated species, and therefore this board should be used to help the weaker species catch up with the "big ones"

Fire off !! :P

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:44 pm

Sounds very interesting and i will definitely try it, but having it give players vps that gets added to wok 4 and wok 5....NO WAY!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:53 pm

I agree, The game sounds COMPLETELY different from our wargames of WOK 4 and 5. Maybe I'm wrong in this assumption but... we'll find out

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:11 pm

I think that we should wait until we have gotten a final version of this product and several games have been played before making any decisions about VPs and such. I am initially opposed to counting VPs towards Kaohalla from a game like this one, athough I can't make a firm stand until I've seen it in action as well as how long it takes to play.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Validon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Validon » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:07 pm

I totally agree with all the comments about VP's. Maybe you could set up rating points for the game, for now Al, and look at VP's at a later date.

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:19 pm

All I am saying is that Id like to see it also give VPs in the end - how many and when we start to give them away is still to be discussed.

A game runs by default one month. I am expecting that the winner will really have done a good effort in getting there, so thats why I put the initial prize at 3 VPs.

First there will be beta testing, then one or two open alpha games. By then we should have evaluated what its worth. :wink:

ThinKing

Post by ThinKing » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:35 pm

Well, this is how far I got before I stopped reading;

"one Turn is by default collected automatically every 15 minutes"

More time online
= More orders processed
= More control over what happens
= More chance of victory.

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Post by Egbert » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:15 pm

I take it that Al got this concept of accumulating turns over time from NukeZone (www.nukezone.nu) --- a very good game. There are several WOKkers playing if you'd like to join us and try it. I agree that if you want a turn-based game, it's not for you. But it's certainly worth a try.

btw, either you're GONE or you're HERE. How about coming back?
:peek:
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:26 pm

I didnt play NukeZone, and the idea isnt coming from there. In fact a lot of games use this "technique" now.

WOK SP puts a twist on it. The OQ (Order Queue) allows you to "program" your orders in advance, but yes, if you are online and have banked enough Turns you can speed up things and turn out a few surprises for your environment....

Being online more often also will reduce your risk to getting the bad end of the evolution ladder - being EATEN ALIVE. :twisted: