Euro 2004 - The poor TV, PART I

Everything non-WOK related should go in here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Euro 2004 - The poor TV, PART I

Post by Lowebb » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:14 am

Thought I would move my england bashing thread in here.

This is a story about a TV who done nothing to no one, she (yes its name is petunia) simply couldnt avoid it

Now I am in a unique position. With living in N.Ireland I have both British TV and Irish TV, meaning I could watch the English match on either. Last night Istarted with watching on English TV which was great up until Rooney scored his first goal making it 2-1 to England.

Upon scoring his third goal in 3 games the english commentators announced Rooney is now the player of the tournament. COME ON!!!!! How could anyone listen to that tripe, player of the tournament, how quickly did they forget about Zindane 3 minute royal destroyal of England, were they watching when Larson demolished bulgaria. Obviously the old TV was getting on me nerves to say the least

As you can imagine I quickly turned over to the irish version of things which was much more fair. HOWEVER at half time Eamonn 'alco' dumphy started talking and yet again my TV was in danger of meeting a high velocity Pot Noodle. Dumphy is well known for his affection to Man United and as it looks like Rooney may be going to United in the summer he has come up with the proposal Rooney is the best since Pele and Maradonna. THE GOAL ROONEY SCORED THE KEEPER MADE A MESS OF IT!!!!!

So reluctantly I turned back to the BBC, and was mildly amused by Alan Hanson, a scot who was able to restrain himself from bending over in front of rooney and dropping his pants.

THEN as we all know England went on to win 4-2 and it was proclaimed to be the match of the tournament so far. At that point the TV didnt stand a chance, it'll take weeks to get rid of all the beans and toast on the screen.

Obviously the BBC team have been in the sun too long, and missed the Czech - Holland match where Neved hit the crossbar from 40 yards, Robben was on fire, Porborsky with his pin point passing, infact I could name 6 players in that match who Ronney would be well qualified to clean their boots

This is part 1 my England bashing will continue until atleast the Quarter Finals, I'll meet you all then.

Oh for all of you thinking England will win Euro 2004 2 points

1: Wise up
2: This is the first time England have been in the business end of the Euro champs (ie past the group stage) EVER, apart from when the euro champs were in england in 96

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:52 pm

You should listen to my latest favourite song - "Irish blood, english heart" from Morrissey.... :P

(Yes, he is back and no longer in the asylum lol)

Go England - bring it home ! My desperate five bucks need to multiply !

Duke

Post by Duke » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:53 pm

First off, didnt those five bucks used to be ten in a different thread? Nevermind.

I havent heard any BBC commentators but I did see the game and I would like to give some perspective to this Irish stained thread. (where are Ireland anyway? Resting up for the WC?)

1. The keeper did make a mess out of Rooneys goal. However if he never had shot then....

2. Croatia didnt choose to fall back and defend themselfs after their first goal. England forced them to. Scholes were everywhere and most of the English team played well.

3. England HAS a good team if you look at it individually, although they always do and they always get their a**es kicked anyway.

Now why wont England win this year? Due to a Swede! S-G Eriksson has failed in two major aspects.

1. He has, with the exeption of Cole, only midfielders that in their club teams are the playmakers. Hence they want the ball passed to them, they want to stop it and have a look around and make that game winning pass to the forwards. If you have more then one of those then you have one too many. As I said, Cole is the exeption and I have to say that Beckham is doing a good job on his side despite what I just wrote.

2. When facing corners or free-kicks (is that the right word?) then they have no clue what so ever. Jones (or is it James) in the goal has to control his players more OR they should have worked this out earlier before this cup even started. it is mostly luck when they manage to clear the ball. Eriksson should have given them more direct tasks instead of trust their skills (Ben will have a field day with that last sentence).

To end this I would like to say that I think I will be able to make the Swedish national team. Take Larssons spot and score a goal before Owen gets his act together and scores one. :wink:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:07 pm

Well i get to watch the footie on Dutch, Belgian, Italian, English and German tv and most commentary is so crap. The Dutch, Italian and English commentary is incredibly biased and nauseating. The Belgian commentary is ok, but the best by far is the German commentators. Never overly biased. Of course they support their team but they also have no problem saying that their team got outplayed or had a bad game.

Holland - Czechs was the best game, though i personally didn't care much for the last 3 minutes, but i guess that's football. :D

Rooney will follow Gazza or George Best in his career or even Owen, who has turned into a total failure this tournament. :D

And Al...good to see somebody around here enjoys the brilliance that is Morrissey. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:38 am

Most what you say is fair Duke, (except cole is a left back) but what I am trying to stress is that unlike most the Irish, I have no problem with the England team with the exception of Beckham the fruit, however it is the crap the media talk about which gets to me, no way is Rooney the next Pele, he wouldnt even be able to keep his eyes on the ball when Pele dribbled and Peles goals were out of this world.

My England Team run down

1.James - A calamity waiting to happen
2.G.Neville - dirty mouthy *****, but reasonable and can be relied on
3.Cole - Great going forward, Porborsky would pin him back though
4.Gerrard - Brilliant player and better to come. In him you are looking at the real class of this team
5.Terry - still undecided, good at chelsea
6.Campbell - the rock at the defense
7.Beckham - worlds biggest knob jockey, yes even bigger than you know who
8.scholes- looking good but we will see when he is marked
9.rooney-playing well, I'll not be bending over for him
10.owen - crap
11. lampard- ok, still to shine

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:24 am

No, you cant say that Owen is crap. He really isnt. He just cant score in the national team but he still has qualities.

Phil Neville on the other hand. Now that is crap.

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:23 am

Just got this through mail, quite a snigger

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:36 am

lol

Rooney is on the nose!!

Yarosund
Trooper
Trooper

C'mon England

Post by Yarosund » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:37 pm

C'Mon England !!!!!!!

I am happy with our performance so far.
No team looks great, and no team looks rubbish
Wayne is raising Englands hopes, but to win we need to get a good performance out of Owen and Beckham.
I think Owen must be carrying an injury, as he looks slow and out of place. However saying that I think he has 3 assists, so he has still made a contribution.
I don't think this is the best team that England has ever sent to a tournament, but I think they do have a chance.
I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow night

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:19 pm

The Czechs look pretty awesome to me...
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Yarosund
Trooper
Trooper

ah well

Post by Yarosund » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:34 pm

For a while it looked good
But, England went and did the same thing that they did against France
You cannot just keep giving the ball back to the other team
Even if they are making little headway in the final 3rd
Giving up posession is just asking for trouble

However, Sol Cambell did score a perfectly good goal. So the real score should have been 2-1 to England. I do not blame the ref for getting this wrong. He was badly placed, and may have beleived that the goalie was impeeded.

Portugal deserved to win on the balnace of play. Maybe, they'll go on to win the tournament.

I still suspect France will maybe claim it. They seem to have been lucky so far, and if that keeps up they will do well, (I would quite like to see Greece prove me wrong).

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:57 am

Poor old England, beaten on penalties again. I was so disappointed....until......the BBC reconed Campbell and Cole were the best defenders in the tournament. Good god the bias never ends in the England camp.

In my non biased opinion, Terry clearly was holding Ricardo down so goal dont count!!! And since God was obviously smilng on me Beckham missed the penalty by a barn door and more!!!!! But hey it was the ref's fault, it was the penalty spots fault.... it could even have been the fact they were defending for 114 minutes of a 120 game. Good bye England, lets watch the great teams such as the czechs, french ans sweden

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:05 am

The problem is the English should start to play by the same rules as the rest of the world. When in the goalkeepers area, you cannot touch the
goallie with you hands. You can only jump up and try and head the ball. Terry had his arm fully over the goalies shoulder pushing him down. If anything it's Terry's fault the goal was disallowed...i think Campbell would have beaten the goalie anyway as he jumped much higher, but Terry ruined it for the English.

In England things like this get accepted just like ridiculously hard challenges that would be penalised in the rest of the world. So the problem is that the English referees are too lenient in their own league, where as the rest of the world simply follows the rules.

So no, the referee didn't cost England the game, the referee was 100% spot on with the foul. I've watched the game commentary on several channels and only the BBC said it wasn't a foul non of the other countries thought the English were hard done by, because in the rest of the world it simply is a foul.

If you so desperately want to blame it on something else other than the terrible defensive way (counter-attack) the English play, blame it on the penalty spot as that clearly was faulty. But then again...both sides suffered from that so in the End you can only blame two people...Vassel for shooting a very bad penalty and Terry for making an unnecessary foul.

Blinky
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Blinky » Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:11 am

you forgot beckham...
At least Vassell's penalty would have gone in if the keeper hadn't caught it.
I'm Blinky and this is my real fur!

(I apologise if this post was offensive, I just couldn't resist...)

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:29 am

Both Beckham and Rui Costa suffered from the bad penalty spot as the ball moved away when they planted their foot next to it...besides they cancelled each other out. :D

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:41 am

Atleast rui costa scored and absolute screamer. James was even close enough to smell it

Blinky
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Blinky » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:53 am

Saladin wrote:Both Beckham and Rui Costa suffered from the bad penalty spot as the ball moved away when they planted their foot next to it...besides they cancelled each other out. :D
those are just bad excuses. They just shot a bad penalty.
I'm Blinky and this is my real fur!

(I apologise if this post was offensive, I just couldn't resist...)

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:26 pm

Lowebb wrote:Good bye England, lets watch the great teams such as the czechs, french ans sweden
I can not BELIVE how you got Sweden into that sentence but I'm lovin it!! :)

I was filled up with Carlsberg when we played the Danes and that worked so I guess I will fill up with Hieneken (sp?) tomorrow. Is Amstel Dutch? I do like that Amstel.

Man those guys can move wearing clogs. You hear them from a distance making those wierd back-of-the-throut sounds and all you see when they pass is a trail of tulips and before you know it you are looking into their backs and reading some record-breaking long last name like "van den alten früstück aus ein neckermannferie".

Seriously, the Dutch will be rough. However, we did win our group and I dont care if people say that we werent good enough. Despite everything we did win our group. At the end of the day that is what actually counts.

Too bad we cant strike a 2-2 deal with them like we did with Denmark. Sure we had to give them some smaller islands and part of the bridge but it was worth it. :wink:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:39 pm

Yup...Amstel is Dutch. :D

Lowebb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lowebb » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:45 pm

sweden were my outside bet for winners. with larson anything is possible he is brilliant and a celt at heart!!! I have trouble looking past czechs cause neved is in a different class to everyone else in the competition. If henry hits forms, he'll kill any team though