A run-in with the law

Everything non-WOK related should go in here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Duke

A run-in with the law

Post by Duke » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:21 pm

This is funny.

I've been on a half-fake business trip to Oslo (Norway) and brought with me my family and my mother. Without me knowing it my mother bought my oldest daughter a BB gun. She isnt really "girly" in the way she playes if you know what I mean. Give her a doll and she'll use it as a football or hit a boy over the head with it.

Anyway, we were passing through customs on our way back to Sweden yesterday and my mom packed the BB-gun in her purse (!). Afterwards she said that "it would be a fun thing to play with on the plane" (?!!!!!!).

As we walked through that X-ray thingy the guards froze and from nowhere a gazillion more guards came with handguns drawn. Some of them were yelling at us to do things like stand still or lay down. And two things made this more funny then scary.

1. They yelled in Norwegian. Only an other Swede can understand what I am after here. To us Norwegian sounds like Swedish but like a jolly dwarf speaks it.

2. They yelled different things. Some told us to stand still with our hands above our heads. Others yelled that we should lay down facing the floor and some yelled that we should stand by the wall, face in. Sure, the weapons were scary but the rest seemed to be straight out of Monty Python.

Everything went fine. A split second after the above one guard had opened the purse and found the BB-gun and all that happend were that we had to check in the BB-gun in a little sealed plastic bag.

One of the guards were concerned about my kids and asked my daughter if she were scared at all. Her reply were (seriously) "If you tried to shoot me my dad would catch the bullet and hit you in the head with it".

So now you know what you're up against :)

Isnt it sort of sweet during that time when your dad is the superhero of the world? It all changes in the teens and she'll probably prefer me in a black plastic bag, six feet under. But for now.... 8)
First one here, last one to leave.

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Re: A run-in with the law

Post by TK » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Duke wrote:2. They yelled different things. Some told us to stand still with our hands above our heads. Others yelled that we should lay down facing the floor and some yelled that we should stand by the wall, face in.
They are trained to do this.

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:18 pm

Intresting intel about the training of Norwegian customs officers.

Why then?

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:39 pm

LOL, i guess that's why BB guns are illegal in Holland. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:56 pm

Duke wrote:Why then?
Basically to confuse and scare you... so that you stand still and are easier to deal with.

The same techniques are taught to Marines, SWAT, Norwegian Customs Guards, etc....

(I have a friend in the Marines)

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:07 pm

I can see why SWAT or the Marines etc would do it on purpouse but dont tell me that Norwegian Customs guys are doing this with some sort of plan in mind. Nope, they were probably just yelling things that sounded right at the time.

Oh, and Tbert isnt in the Marines, nor is he your friend so you cant count him if that was who you refered to. 8) (And he would run and hide if anyone came close to him with a BB-gun)

Protput
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Protput » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:09 pm

Saladin wrote:LOL, i guess that's why BB guns are illegal in Holland. :D
BB guns illegal and weed legal?
somewhere on the road you guys went terribly wrong

Duke

Post by Duke » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:51 pm

"you guys"?

Now where the heck are you from then? Belgium? And I know I've asked Saladin this before but The Netherlands? Was that an actual place or simply the origin of Tinkerbell? I feel somewhere that it refers to both Holland and Belgium but writing this I am starting to doubt myself and wanting to put Holland IN The Netherlands as sort of a region of it.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:26 pm

I have absolutely no idea what you just said...

I don't think BB guns are illegal... just trying to smuggle one on a plane. Amazing story Duke. I laughed so hard.

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:41 am

As far as BB guns go, My son has four. Sadly, the little fart can just about outshoot me with them too.

Funny story though, Dukie. I believe BB guns would cause a national controversy if you had tried to take one on a plane here. You cannot even take a pair of fingernail clippers on the plane any longer. *shakes head* Whatever happened to common sense????
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Xechortariaste
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Xechortariaste » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:50 am

Calidus wrote:As far as BB guns go, My son has four. Sadly, the little fart can just about outshoot me with them too.

Funny story though, Dukie. I believe BB guns would cause a national controversy if you had tried to take one on a plane here. You cannot even take a pair of fingernail clippers on the plane any longer. *shakes head* Whatever happened to common sense????
But you are allowed to have something like three lighters in your carryon on flights where you're not allowed to smoke.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:34 am

Lighters were just banned. Like last week or somethin like that.
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:27 am

BB-guns I can understand since some of them looks pretty authentic. Lighters is stupid in any occasion but nailclippers? Last time I was on a plane I could spot quite a number of things I could use as a weapon to take over the plane and have it plunging head first into Egberts mansion in New Jersey.

There is no chance in he** that she will get to try that gun anyway. She is not even 4 years old. I dont know what my mom was thinking. I know I sound like an old fart but I dont really approve of weapons as toys and she should at least be old enough to handle the darn thing.

I still say that if we put all the money we use to make war with and put it into building schools/roads/hospitals in those countries we would build away 99% of the terrorists while they are kids. It is like that kid you gave a hard time when you were little and who was nothing but nice to you. Made you feel bad about the whole thing when you grew older. (notice that I just pictured The US as a bullied kid 8) )

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:36 pm

BB guns are illegal in The Netherlands as they are usually very realisticly build. And unlike other countries we don't want the police shooting kids because they think that the kid has a real gun.

I think the British have the best system. Nobody carries guns (legally), not even the police (special units excluded).

BTW Holland is just another name for The Netherlands, and yes it was/is a region here.
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Xechortariaste
Recruit
Recruit

Post by Xechortariaste » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:21 pm

Duke wrote:There is no chance in he** that she will get to try that gun anyway. She is not even 4 years old.
Four years old? You should've been training her to use that gun for the past two years at least anyway! :sniper:

:wink:

Xechortariaste (who's never even fired a BB gun)

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:39 pm

I figured the Europeans might find this good fodder for discussion ... ;) 8)

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:46 am

That sign is all well and good. I just wish I still had the pic from when I was in Hawaii. The Subway (sandwich shop) had a sign on the door that said, and I quote: "Toilet is for eating customers only"
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:48 am

Let me quote Chris Rock:

Clubs with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe on the inside but what about when you leave? All those guys waiting at the entrance all have guns, and they know you aint got one.