Duke's home improvement show

Everything non-WOK related should go in here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:06 pm

He probably used his old "Im a pool player, let me show you my queue" trick again... :twisted:

Xarfei
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Xarfei » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:38 am

Here is an image of our plumbing:

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:27 am

IT'S A P-TRAP!!!
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:22 am

DUKE,

From personal experience.

If you have a LONG relatively horizontal run of drain piping, which to me is anything over about 2 feet(approx 60cm), over time soap scum and other nasties WILL build up and slow the drain down. Be prepared to have to take it apart and clean it out every 5-10 years or so. Just from experience. Drains don't have any pressure behind them and rely on gravity. It won't take all the soap scum with it and those things get to be kinda nasty inside. hopefully nobody in your household tries to rinse down any denture glue either, that will clog it in no time at all. Another thing is shaving cream. If you use cream be sure to let the hot water run for a few minutes after shaving to ensure you get as much as possible all the way down.

and Yes I have to do some plumbing work at my job and it is called a P-trap here and it does EXACTLY what Duke described.

Although it also works for catching earings and rings that accidently go down, as long as the water is turned off quick enough. Some of those students don't seem to realize that and can't figure out that an earing that goes down the drain WILL go all the way through if you run the water for another 10 minutes before taking the trap apart to look for it.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:16 pm

Underdog has now officially replaced TK as my problem solver :D

Ok, we've established the easy stuff now. Next problem is the drain.

I now have a shower in one corner of the bathroom and two sinks in the opposite corner.

I will put a single sink in a new location and have the pipes go from it to where the old sinks were.

The shower will be removed and a washing machine and a dryer will be placed there. The drain for the shower will come in handy when we hang wet clothes to dry next to the washing machine.

Ok. The two sinks had pipes that went straight down into the floor. We cant have that for the bathtub so I will need to put a drain in the floor where the pipes to the sewers are.

I am not totally sure on how to do this. The drain is in itself like a p-trap but I am unsure of how to connect it to the old pipes. Also, where the heck are the thingys that constitutes the floor heating that I have? I dont want to go into those.

I will posts some pics here to better give a view of the problem at hand.
First one here, last one to leave.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:24 pm

Underdog wrote:Another thing is shaving cream. If you use cream be sure to let the hot water run for a few minutes after shaving to ensure you get as much as possible all the way down.
LOL, very enviromental friendly. :P
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Duke

Post by Duke » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:31 pm

Here are some pics on the drains I am installing:

See what I am talking about?

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:06 am

I guess the question is Can you get access to the drains from below?
If so it is rather simple to Get a "T" connection and connect them to the old drains.

If not you are in trouble. If there is no way to get to them from below I can't think of anything besides tearing up the floor and trying to find a way to make that connection. In other words I HOPE you can get to them from below or you are in for ALOT of work you probably weren't planning on. You COULD place the bathtub on a raised platform and run the pipes under that to connect them up. That would require some serious carpentry work to support the water in a full bathtub.

If you cannot get to the pipes from below I would seriously suggest contacting a plumber. If you have heat in the floor I am assuming it runs through some tubes below the floor and Those can be a real pain if you even nick the tube while trying to make any holes. There is a way to locate where they are but it is not something I normally do, so I am not sure how they do it. Thats when I call in the union plumbers we have on call to take care of the job.
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:17 pm

Before I start I would just like to say that the swedish word for union is "fack". Dont know what I am trying to say here but still. :?

Anyway, nope, cannot get to them from below. Got to break some tiles and I have actually planned for that and fix it all and tidy up with cement around it all. It will support a full tub (thought of that as well) since the other houses in the area are exactly like mine and they have their tub right where I am putting mine.

The heating is electrical and I have cranked it up to the limit and "felt around" and there are no heating underneath the sinks. There cant be since the floor was burning hot everywhere and ice cold underneat the sink and behind the toilet and underneath the washer and dryer.

T connection? Donut, translate that to english please. I want it to be a drain since my kids will make a mess while bathing so I need some way for the water to "dispose itself". Cant just have pipes going down into the floor even if they have some p-trap to stop nasty smell.

I never said that this would be easy. :D Still I appreciate discussing this with you. Well not ALL of you but some. :roll:

TK
Trooper
Trooper

Post by TK » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Duke wrote:T connection? Donut, translate that to english please.

A piece of pipe that looks like a T. The horizontal line will replace your original pipe and the vertical line will go up into the shower drain.

TK

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:42 pm

OK, My mistake on the heat here we tend to use hot water running through tubes which can make a REAL mess if it starts to leak.

The T connection is exactly what TK described. just cut the drain line where it runs near the shower drain and install the "T" piece in it's place. Then connect the shower drain to one part and the original drain to the other ends and you should be fine.
Underdog is here

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:17 am

Well I have to give my hat off to Duke here. I am a perfectionist when it comes to doing things and like to know everything step for step so I don't miss anything, and following someones comments from far away takes some doing. On the other had I have to say that UD does seem to know what he is talking about so more power too you.

Massielita
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:16 am

That is kind of what I am after Massielita. Even if UD would have told me step by step moves I would still check with a local source here but these fellas gives me good ideas on how to do stuff so I can narrow down my options.

In a community of this size you are bound to run into a handyman.

The T-pipe thing would be perfect if I were to remove ALL tiles on the floor or a large portion of them. I am looking to get away with taking out just one or two next to the waste waterpipe, cut it, and mount the drain on top of it. How to connect it to the original pipe isnt the problem as I see it. The problem is to fit in the drain and then to cut down the original pipe. As it is now it sticks up through the floor. We cant have it do that, I need to connect the drain to it BELOW the surface of the floor.

If I pay for your trip over here UD and promise to keep you warm, fed and freshly pee'd at all times. Would you do it for me? :)

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:24 am

Well, You would have to bring my 3 children also. Then there is the problem with my employer. They frown on people just up and leaving the country on them without telling them. I guess I will have to try to help long distance. You are right it is MUCH easier to help on these things if I could SEE exactly what you are planning. If I understand your comment you are just placing the bathtub drain where the extra sink drain was so you don't need to move it at all? just figure out how to attach the tub drain to what already exists?
You should be just fine you have a pretty good idae of what you are doing.
Underdog is here

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:17 am

Yup. The tubdrain will be where the sinkdrain is. Difference between them being that the sinkdrain is basically a pipe sticking up through the floor and the tubdrain is like a "gutter" which is inserted into the floor.

The new sink will be a bit away and I will have pipes leading to the tubdrain (the old sinkdrain).

Who's on first?

BigJOzzy
Trooper
Trooper

Post by BigJOzzy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:32 am

Now the big questions is do you have two bathrooms in your house?

:lol:
Mathematician is someone who knows that if three people walk into an empty room and five people walk out, then two more people need to walk in to the room to make it empty again.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:29 pm

Why hasn't this thread been hijacked yet?

Donut has a big hole!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Duke

Post by Duke » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Dont even try it Sal. I'll get the moderator to kick you out. :shock: Wait, that is you!!!

Yes I do have two bathrooms. :)

Just removed three floortiles. MAN! That was no fun at all!!

Anyway, I have full access to the pipes running between the wooden base of the floor and the ceil...caill eeeh roof of the ground floor.

Looks like a cakewalk. All I need is that T-connection and then I can plug a drain onto the existing system in no time. Nothing could go wrong. :roll:

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Ok then Mr.Dog

Here is the progress report on the bathroom. Within the next three hours or so I will put the top layer on the new drain. Then I am off to buy a new sink. The step after that would be the drain pipes and the new hot/cold water pipes to the sink and the the future bathroom.

A link :)

http://www.geocities.com/wokduke/bathroom.html

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:11 am

Looks pretty good. I suspect you will have a new BEAUTIFUL bathroom in the near future.

So explain to me again why it has taken you so long to get this far? you seem to have had this whole thing under control from the start. you should have been able to get this whole thing done in about 8 hours of work. I always thought you were a hard worker. You remind me of a dairy farmer, milking this thing for all it's worth. Are you sure you aren't getting paid by the hour? :twisted:

J/K

It DOES look pretty good. I am happy to help out my fellow WOKers.
Underdog is here