Vanquishing the Evil Empire

Everything non-WOK related should go in here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Egbert
Commander
Commander

Vanquishing the Evil Empire

Post by Egbert » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:49 pm

For those of you who do not live on the East Coast of the U.S., here is a great article giving you a good look into how significant last night's game was, in which the Red Sox beat the Yankees in what is probably the greatest comeback in U.S. sports:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/041021

I lived in Boston for 3 years, and still have friends there. I am very happy for them right now. :bluethumb:
"Fairy tales can come true,
They can happen to you,
If you're young at heart."

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:45 pm

Congratulations to all those Sox fans out there.

Maybe there is hope yet for the Cubs.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

Raw
Commander
Commander

Post by Raw » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:34 pm

That's pushing it a bit.

-Raw
It's not fast unless its got a fart can.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:55 pm

Underdog wrote:Congratulations to all those Sox fans out there.

Maybe there is hope yet for the Cubs.
Bah! I am very happy for the Sox, but historically they've done better than the Cubs so I wasn't surprised they made it back to the Series first. Red Sox fans talk about a curse? Ha! Try moving to Chicago!
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:17 pm

There's nothing I love more than cheering against the Cubs. Wait... there is one thing, cheering against Cubs Fans! It amazes me that at the lowest points in the last decade for the Cubs, they all still think the Cubs are the greatest thing to ever happen to baseball. And the fact that everyone blamed that dude for catching the ball last year when anybody in the same position would have reached up and grabbed it too. Not a single person could say that "If it was comin at me I would have looked to see if Alou was coming and backed off." Everyone would have reached for it... including the 30 people around you. If he hadn't grabbed it... someone else would have. Not to mention the fact that the Cubs themselves saw that series runnin down their leg.

Until they remove that ridiculous net on the outfield wall, I will never cheer for the Cubs.

Donut

Side Note:
Red Sox last World Series: 1903
Milwaukee School of Engineering founded: 1903
Coincidence... maybe.
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:26 pm

There's nothing I hate more than people who make vast generalizations. Do the majority of cubs fans really blame that guy in the outfield for messing up their chances? Of course not! We blame the curse. I mean, duh.

And Josh....the Red Sox were last in the World Series in 1986, not 1903. Just for the record.
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:34 pm

hahahahaha... Let the Donkey in!!!!!!!! That dude had to move Florida because people blamed him :P .

Red Sox last won World Series was in 1903. How could anybody forget Bill Buckner in '86!!!

Donut

Underdog
Commander
Commander

Post by Underdog » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:13 am

Donut unless my history fails me you are still incorrect because if I remember correctly the Red Sox last won a world series in 1918 when they beat.............................

The Cubs.

I rest my case.
There's no need to fear...........
Underdog is here

korexus

Post by korexus » Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:52 am

Far be it from me to ask how it can be a 'world series' when only teams from America enter. After all, I'm not even a member of 'the world' by the definitions which regulate this...

I just thought I'd write a post for everyone who has lost track of what's going on here...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:00 am

UD... you are right... I'm not sure why I remembered 1903 but it's has been 86 years since they won. I have no idea on the cubs part though.

I believe the reason that the World Series is the World Series is because the greatest players around the WORLD strive to get to Major League Baseball. Granted teams in the US don't play teams outside of MLB, but I think that it is the league that most people could agree has the best players and teams. And hey, Canada still has a team! And that's why you don't post at 5 in the morning. :P

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:46 pm

montreal is in the united states?
God of WOK

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:14 am

Cough**girl's game**cough
Question everything.

Duke

Post by Duke » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:04 pm

I second that cough

SmashFace

Post by SmashFace » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:13 pm

i dislike baseball also ;) but i do watch the world series..
God of WOK

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:31 am

I think I would rather watch flys mate than to actually sit down and watch a baseball game. (or basketball for that matter)

You see, a REAL sport to watch like NASCAR gives you everything you need. The highly muted sounds of the race cars on TV make for the perfect nap on a Sunday afternoon. And they wake you with there big excitement of "UHOH TROUBLE IN TURN 2!" If my wife could get me to listen to her like those few words wake me up, she probably wouldn't be mad at me all the time. :evil:

Will the Red Sox let the CURSE rise up and bite 'em and lose 4 in a row??? Stay Tuned Sox fans. :twisted:
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:08 am

Wow... a NASCAR fan out there... wait... yep... you're from Tennessee :P .

I have really gotten into watching races this year for some reason. I also have the XBOX game. Nothin like bein on lap 91 of 96 when you get the low fuel message. Then lap 94 you have very low on fuel message... getting the white flag to get the "You are about to run out of gas" to get you excited.

Too bad when I went to celebrate after winning I only had enough gas to do 1 burnout :cry:

Donut