Rome - Total War

Everything non-WOK related should go in here.

Moderators: Duke, trewqh, korexus, Egbert

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Rome - Total War

Post by Bjorn » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:09 pm

Has anyone here seen this title in action yet? The release in the USA is now set for September 15th, yet it has been hailed as the 'Game of the Year' for 2003 in some quarters.

I enjoyed Shogun - Total War, but took a pass on the Middle Ages version of Total War. I have more than a passing interest in the Roman Empire and am quite interested in this subject matter. If anyone here has seen Rome- Total War I would appreciate your preview.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:24 pm

"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:59 pm

I heard some good things about it from a friend who is a big fan of the series and has seen it in action. I haven't played any of the games yet, but I do believe I am going to grab Medieval: Total War because I have an interest in that era. If it's great then I'll get Rome too....the last truly excellent strategy game I played on computer was Rise Of Nations, other than that really I mainly stick to video games. KOTOR 2 and Fable are coming out soon, woohoo!
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

Donut
Warlord
Warlord

Post by Donut » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:43 pm

I wish they would come out with another RTS!!! I didn't read too much about this game but it could be one...

I'd really like to see a Starcraft 2 but I don't think that'll happen. If anything something with that engine. The Age of Empires games were very deep and were pretty fun but I didn't like the engine. Did anyone ever try the Star Wars RTS?

Donut
The scars remind us that the past is real.

Dameon

Post by Dameon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:00 am

Forget Starcraft, I'd rather see Blizzard produce another Diablo, there's certainly been a long enough gap since the last one! :shock:
"A Knight is sworn to valor, his heart knows only virtue, his blade defends the helpless, his might upholds the weak, his word speaks only truth, his wrath outdoes the wicked."

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:47 am

Blizzard is busy finishing World of Warcraft, and as me and my beloved one are MMO fanatics we will be playing this together with FF XI.
FF XI kicks off September 17th here in Europe, while WoW should go online November 15th.

Id love to see another Diablo too, but the trend is going towards MMOs.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:27 pm

Bjorn,

There now is a demo of Rome - Total War available on gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rom ... loads.html
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Bjorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bjorn » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:11 am

Saladin wrote:Bjorn,

There now is a demo of Rome - Total War available on gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/rom ... loads.html
Yeah, well. I cannot download it unless I register with them. I really don't like that idea, but maybe I can give them my yahoo email address, which I rarely use.

I will give it a try. Thanks! BT
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Calidus
Commander
Commander

Post by Calidus » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:09 am

Bjorn,

One of the engineers that I work with is a huge fan of the whole series. He was telling me the other day the the history channel has been running a special on the Roman empire. He claims that some of the scenery/armies seen in the special are actually shots from the game. I am not sure where he get's his information, but if it IS true, it should be quite the handsome game to play.

-Calidus