New WoK 4 X-Game?

Discuss your weirdest WOK game ideas and plans here.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

korexus

New WoK 4 X-Game?

Post by korexus » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:08 pm

Well, I've been pushed into it. As Dameon is talking about opening a WoK 5 X-Game, I'll start talking through ideas for a WoK 4 game. This means I'll have to leave some of the gems made by Xarfei, TK, alcohol and myself for another time. But never mind...

This one's for Gravemaker, inspired by a bug he found in my current game.

It seems the the WoK 4 manager doesn't check neighbouring provinces very thouroughly. Thus 5 can neighbour 6 without 6 neighbouring 5. This allows a map to have '1 way streets'. I have 2 ideas of how the map could be set out using this.

Firstly (and my favourite) 2 or 4 concentric rings. Movement round each ring will be either clockwise or anti clockwise and there will be evenly spaced 'two way' connecting bridges between the rings.

Secondly, you could have a map more like the traditional one, but with certain borders allowing for one way travel only. This could be further modified so that players do not know how the borders work. Much like Egbert's 'maze' game.

The advantage of the first is that it's easy to design and understand. The second allows for more strategy using "bottlenecks" which don't appear as such on the map but also allows for players to get all their armies stuck in the wrong place. (With this in mind, every home province would have to have at least 2 "two way" borders.)

If people don't like this idea I have plenty more, but I do think it could be fun. Comments? Suggestions?

GM Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:34 pm

Gaz's Tower map already used this effect but any new map is welcome :)

trewqh
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:49 pm

I like it Chris. :D

But by saying that you've got more ideas, i'd like to hear them as well. :D
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."