X-Game - Tower of Death

Discuss your weirdest WOK game ideas and plans here.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Aussie Gaz

X-Game - Tower of Death

Post by Aussie Gaz » Wed May 21, 2003 6:37 am

I have been working on a new WOK4 map and concept for an x-game.

Map is attached.

Basic idea is fighting on 6 level (level 0 being ground) circular tower.

Movement to adjacent areas on same level, movement downwards only to floor below (ie 60 to 50 but not 50 to 60), two spiral staircases on ouside allowing up and down movement (01 to 12, 12 to 01 & 23 etc).

X-game refinement - missiles will only work on adjacent areas (ie no long range attacks).

Suggestions, problems etc ??????

:wink:

korexus

Post by korexus » Wed May 21, 2003 9:54 am

Sounds like fun. One problem though, map is not attached. :P

5 levels might work better, with 2 people starting on each level. With 6 levels you'll likely have a couple of people with an entire level of the tower to themselves. Especially if one of them is right at the top...

Other than that, sounds good!

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Wed May 21, 2003 12:38 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun but some thougths though.

First provinces must be connected both ways or else the INI file will not work. Off course you could monitor this manually but it would take some checking through the players orders.

The same goes for missile range. There is no way to stop missiles from being fired at long range apart from manual interference from the GM but this off course can be done.

Korexus' idea of making it 5 levels with 2 players on each is also a very good one that probably should be taken into account.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Wed May 21, 2003 5:20 pm

The messageboard does not accept images as attachments. I had the same problem in the Clan Champs thread. I just manually changed *.jpg to *.txt and posted the map like that.

trewqh

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Wed May 21, 2003 11:06 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Map is attached in a zip file. (hopefully) Thanks trewqh for that info.

The ini file has been created and the extra links manually deleted.

The only input required by the GM is to check the Missile firing orders and to delete any that are not to adjacent areas. (Fairly simple x-game really).

It took me long enough to draw up six levels of 10 provinces. If and when I run this I will ask for feedback from the players and if it seems like a major problem I will redesign it as 5 x 12 province levels.

POP levels are higher at lower levels also.

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Thu May 22, 2003 6:11 am

Aussie Gaz wrote:Map is attached in a zip file. (hopefully) Thanks trewqh for that info.
No problem, my pleasure :)
Zipping it was a very convenient solution AG. It never came to my mind... :oops:

trewqh

Lord Fredo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lord Fredo » Thu May 22, 2003 7:07 am

Ok, so am I getting this right? Movement could be made along the 01-12-23-34-45-56 spiral in any direction and to areas below any other province that is 1 level higher than the target province?

If the latter is correct I am still curious as to how you intend to make it possible to move from 60 to 50 but not the other way without manually interfering.

I'm not trying to bring you down in your effort I am just trying to understand.

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Thu May 22, 2003 1:35 pm

Aussie Gaz wrote:The ini file has been created and the extra links manually deleted.
I assume this is the "magic" that you're applying to allow only one-way movement between provinces. For example, setting province X to have a neighbor Y, but *not* setting Y to have a neighbor X in the INI file.

If that's the case, then my question is: Does the WOK4 game manager properly load and work with it that way? I always wondered if it did any kind of "neighbors integrity" check ... ;)

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Thu May 22, 2003 11:05 pm

Guys

I have assummed that the wok 4 manager does not do a check on the ini file.

My reason for doing this was more or less confirmed in my current group 1 where there was an error in the ini file that allowed attacks to occur in one direction but not the other.

The mapmaker pro program (thanks Matt) actualy makes it impossible to do what I want so after the ini file was created I just went back in and deleted the appropriate links and added an extra 0 in it's place.

I haven't done a dry run yet to double check. I may do it this weekend.

Fredo is correct about attack paths - you could conceivably go 01,12,23,34,45,56,46,36 or any other combination to suit yourself.

I see this as a minor step above Rolands chess game in complexity.

My main concern is that having only two ways up from each level will cause problems.

Obviuosly if you capture an entire upper level then you are safe from attack from below if you defend the two staircase entrances.

Will have to wait and see I guess.

Any other feedback would be most welcome.

Maybe AL can confirm/deny my assumption?

:)

korexus

Post by korexus » Fri May 23, 2003 12:50 am

OK, you might not like this either, but it's probably a bit less effort than my suggestion of changing the map... How about you have 3 spiral staircases, starting at provinces 1, 3 and 5, for movement upwards and you only allow movement downwards through the middle provines, ie ones ending in 7, 8, 9 or 0.

That would make defending from above a bit harder and defending from below a bit easier which could balance things out somewhat. As things stand I do think that people at the top will have a hefty advantage even if the starting pop is a bit lower...

k.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

gm_al
Creator
Creator

Post by gm_al » Sat May 24, 2003 5:10 pm

Im back now.

If I remember right the WOK4 manager does not check 'neighbour integrity' (nor any other INI check, its really a short proggie). I would need to check the original code, but Im pretty sure.

The WOK5 manager would do that check, but just report errors without stopping you to use the INI though.

I also see the problem that those on top have some advantage in this scenario. I would also like to share the fact that a game is most competitive when every province has 3 or 4 neighbours.... 8)