GM Mike's Relative +LEV plus spy changes Xgame

Discuss your weirdest WOK game ideas and plans here.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Hryllantre
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hryllantre » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:22 am

I've applied leaving ONE space... :roll: I'm good at maths see

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:44 pm

Well then.

That makes it a full house assuming Trewqh accepts my application from the other day.

:D

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:36 pm

For some reason I don't receive e-mails from the server. The ones with game applications as well as topic reply notifications, don't know why. They're not in the spam folder when I log to my mailbox through a web browser.

I'll add you two to the game in a moment so that we can get this thing going.
trewqh
the gleefully aggressive Vulking

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:47 pm

GM Mike ... Tinker is a Scholar, not a Merc. Can you fix his affiliation on the game page?

Thanks,
-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:55 pm

Sure. He was a Merc when he applied for the game (that's what the e-mail said).

The initial turn has already run so I'll have to fix it in the databases, but that's not too much of a problem. Consider it done.
trewqh

Brykovian

Post by Brykovian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks -- it's appreciated.

-Bryk
Matt Worden Games ... Gem Raider, DareBase, Castle Danger, Keeps & Moats Chess

Aussie Gaz

Post by Aussie Gaz » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Mike

Please check you PM's.

Tried to send an email to you via GM_Mike@kaomaris.com but it bounced although the problem looks like it was at your end not the kaomaris end.

Gaz

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:45 pm

Got it.

The PM that is.

My problem with not getting notifications is also due to my e-mail SP not accepting e-mails from our server :/

Anyone trying to reach me through e-mail should use the address that can now be found under each of my posts.
trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:59 pm

:( I feel stupid. If it wasn't for my bad memory AG wouldn't have been eliminated from the game so early... Sorry, man!

OK, 4 turns have run so far. Looking at your TRs the +LEV worker option is not very popular... yet. But, I'm sure there are some comments on how the spying works.

For me it's interesting to watch how noone is able to keep their EFF at 99 by simply spying. Still the spy province for info option is much MUCH more often used than the sabotage EFF option.

Discuss.
trewqh

korexus

Post by korexus » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:57 pm

I think this is mostly inertia. Another example would be the LEV changes we made for attacks. They've made it perfectly feasable for a player to fight through most of the game and still come out as strong as a sleeper, yet players carry on sleeping because that's what they've always done, thus leading to complaints that sleeping must be overpowered.

It takes a long time for the community as a whole to notice when the accepted method isn't best anymore and usually that happens only when something else becomes noticably superior, which doesn't actually help game balance. At least that's how it always went with things like the tribes in WoK V.

In this case I think the lev damage is more effective, (it's actually quite rare to get useful info from someone when you spy) but it's hard to change the player mindset.

Of course, I didn't play in this game. Just watched it...

korexus.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:03 am

Sal achieves a solo victory in Gardenic. That makes your hypothesis very likely. :/ I wonder what'll happen in your Homelands where so far no one looks like he/she is going to sleep while levelling armies.
trewqh

trewqh

Post by trewqh » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:26 pm

The two returning CoN players prove their worth and share the win in this one.

The players who survived the longest in this X-game made extensive use of the modified levelling rules. There was some sleeping so this single game doesn't prove that the mechanism I came up with promotes fighting that much.

Spying having no effect on EFF made players put more workers on EFF and made keeping your EFF in mint condition more difficult. What's interesting is that only on turn 15 or so did one of the players realise that this rule made the spy player option much too powerful :) (no negative effect on EFF for failing!!!).

Once again, congrats to Nestalawe and Nemesis!
trewqh

Nemesis
Trooper
Trooper

Post by Nemesis » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:32 pm

A song for myself and Nestalawe - Click Here 8) :wink:

Since levelling troops when they are level 1.000 happens faster than in normal games I actually decided to level up during a war, for a single turn. Not sure I would usually take that decision.

It was me from turn 15 onwards that was constantly spying players data, since I had some empty enemy provinces right next to my spies. That was extremely useful.

I had a poor start, taking only a single neutral province on my first turn, with my men losing a battle that the battle calculator said we would lose 1 time in 5,000! :mrgreen:

I was also in a war with Hryllantre from the off, although with Vortan as my ally. It meant that I mainly used any WOK for only LEV and EFF, since I couldn't maintain my EFF with spying. Not sure how it would of affected my use of WOK if I was able to sleep from the beginning.
There was some sleeping so this single game doesn't prove that the mechanism I came up with promotes fighting that much.
I thought there was plenty of fighting, there was from my point of view anyway. I barely had turns of sleeping except for a chunk in the middle before the final battle between the Scholars, and I am known to be a sleeper. :wink:

So, a sense of Deja Vu on my return to WOK. As I claim a win, with my clan mate, Nestalawe, and have a lot of fun in the process.