Winter is coming!

Discuss your weirdest WOK game ideas and plans here.

Moderators: trewqh, korexus

Saladin

Winter is coming!

Post by Saladin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi, i'm currently working on two maps of Westeros and will set up a trilogy of standard wok games based upon the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin.

If you don't know this fantasy series yet you're really missing out! It's the best fantasy series around!

Anyway, there will be a trilogy of games based on the maps. The map is divided in to a northern and a southern half mainly because the map would otherwise simply be too big to display properly on the game page.

The maps aren't ready yet but as soon as they are i'll be looking for ten players to represent 10 of the bigger houses on Westeros, namely:

Stark
Lannister
Tyrell
Baratheon
Martel
Greyjoy
Tullys
Arryn
Frey
and probably Targayen as well.

If you have a preference for one of the houses post it here!

The game will be an x-game so there will be some special rules, though i haven't worked out the details yet. But on the Southern map there will be a king elected every three turns which gives some nice bonusses to that player. And on the northern map the players will also have to send troops to The Wall to help keep 'The Others' out. Failing to do so will see The Others break through and wreak havoc on the player(s) that sent the least troops to The Wall.

Like i said these extra rules will have to be worked out first, but it promises to add some more spice to these games!

So if you're interested post here and tell us which house you would like to represent. And of course a game like this wouldn't be complete without a lot of story telling so get your pens out guys and gals!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

"To speak ill of others is a dishonest way of praising ourselves."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:03 pm

Sounds like a programming nightmare - good books though. I aint going to the wall - it is a touch too unpleasant for my liking so I will start with the Southern lot me thinks.
Now WHY did it do THAT!

If at first you don't succeed - give up and have a coffee!

Yes I am on the transplant list for a new sense of humour!

korexus

Post by korexus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Sal, email me when you have the rules a bit closer. Most of what your describing should be possible, but it makes sense to get the details sorted out privately, that way you only need to post one set here.

Chris.
With Great Power comes Great Irritability

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:28 pm

BUT Sal: Before you do that do your water crossing orders, my T3 are in already and IT's PAYBACK TIME!
Now WHY did it do THAT!

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:05 pm

Sadly i won't be able to do them tonight. I just finished dinner and have to leave in 10 minutes as we're going to the EC under 21 match Italy - England.

FORZA ITALIA!
"Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity."

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:08 pm

COME ON YOU ENGLAND!

ENGLAND 1 ITALY 0

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Now WHY did it do THAT!

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:25 pm

Ha Italy are out. And I bagsies Lannister!!!!!
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Italy out? Not so. It ended 2-2 after England was 2-0. I have to admit that England played really well in the first 25 minutes and deservedly went up 2-0 (should have been 4-0!). The Italians were all over the place. Then the English resorted to their crappy...let's try and defend this lead tactics which ended up costing them 2 points as Italy equalized with a lucky scrimmage goal and a great shot from my man Aquilani!

England now has 2 points and Italy and the Czechs have 1 point so they can all still qualify for the next round (and the Olympics). My favourite Serbia is already qualified so that might be favourable for the English as the Serbs will most likely rest most of their starting 11.

Anyway it was a great match in one of the best stadiums (in closeness to the pitch) in the world. :D

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:54 pm

Lannister Lardy? That's a surprise going for the 'bad guys'. Which Lannister do you identify with most? Tywin? Jaime? Tyrion? No don't tell me...CERSEI! Yes, that's you! :P

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:25 am

I don't have a brother though Sal, nudge nudge wink wink. Tyrion rules!!!!
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:11 pm

Ah...i see the facial resemblance now. :P

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:15 pm

Work on the map of the southern part of Westeros is going well. I just have to add some nice castles and do the ini file and it's ready to go.

In order to give everybody a decent (fixed) starting position i had to reduce the number of players for this game to 8. Which means that the Frey's won't be making an appearance in this game. Though they will be in the game on the northern part of the map.

I'm still a bit in doubt wether or not i should put in the Tullys or if i should just have the Starks play from Riverrun instead (as there is no Winterfel on this map). Any suggestions?

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:25 pm

Hmmm tough call. I would set thE Starks in Riverun. Can't have a game without them.

*SPOILER*

It always amused me that Eddards 'Ed wasn't all that 'Ard when it came to the chop :lol:
Last edited by Lardmaster on Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:02 pm

***IMPORTANT***

If you want to post something that's a spoiler for the books, please write *SPOILER* and put the 'spoiler' part in the colour indigo, which is hard to read against this background (Example below).

This way people can enjoy the forum posts on this game without having to worry about finding out important things that happen in the books.

Example:

*SPOILER*
I want a direwolf of my own!

Vortan
Commander
Commander

Post by Vortan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:20 pm

:twisted:

Alternately, take note of every occurance and minus 10 POP and 2 WOK for each.

:lol:
Now WHY did it do THAT!

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Although if you are having the wall on the map then why not Winterfell?

Oh and what program you using to make your map?
Question everything.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:40 pm

The map is cut off at 'the neck' (right above the twins) for the southern half of the map. The northern half will probably be from Lannisport up to the Wall and will have the houses of Stark, Tully, Bolton, Frey, Greyjoy, Baratheon (Stannis), Lannister and Arryn. So no Martel and Targayen.

And of course THE OTHERS! :twisted:

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm using Paint Shop Pro 11.

Saladin

Post by Saladin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:41 pm

Well i finished the map and the ini file which was a piece of caske with Bryk's map assistant. :worship:

So once Korexus has added the map to the map list, i will set up the game. I plan to invite some of our good old wok players back to Kaomaris for this game (Duke, Bjorn) and will invite some other players to join as well. So basically this will be a game by invite only.

Yeah, complain all you want but you can't come to my sweet 16 party and see Snoop Dog perform or watch me drive in my new ferrari! You're not invited!

Man i watch too much MTV :roll:

Lardmaster
Commander
Commander

Post by Lardmaster » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Good luck getting hold of people. I have tried to get hold of Duke a few times but no joy.
Question everything.